DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystalsky display

What is the connection between the gimbal and the size of the screen? Am I missing something here?
No you're not missing anything...I believe that someone received bad information from either DJI or another forum member.

No you're not missing anything...I believe that someone received bad information from either DJI or another forum member.

DJI specifically said on the CS page of their website that only the 5.5 display was compatible with Osmo/Osmo Pro and Mavic. I assumed (like others) was because it would fit into the relevant mounts.

I am guessing DJI also assumed this, and because they are utterly hopeless at communications they didn't think to try it or develop a mount for it until they were hit by what was probably unexpected demand for what they billed as a product aimed at inspire and above models in their product map.

DJI specifically said on the CS page of their website that only the 5.5 display was compatible with Osmo/Osmo Pro and Mavic. I assumed (like others) was because it would fit into the relevant mounts.

I am guessing DJI also assumed this, and because they are utterly hopeless at communications they didn't think to try it or develop a mount for it until they were hit by what was probably unexpected demand for what they billed as a product aimed at inspire and above models in their product map.
Yes, I'm aware of what DJI has stated on their website. My previous post was referring to the mis-information about the CS and Mavic gimbal.

Yes, I'm aware of what DJI has stated on their website. My previous post was referring to the mis-information about the CS and Mavic gimbal.

Ah ok. I know there was some talk about the resolution being an issue but even so. It's just a display with an app running so could never figure the logic.

The essence of the Mavic is the portability and carrying anything else to make it work is ruining that. Would a display even get into the Fly more combo bag?

Also might it be useable on the OSMO?

The CrystalSky is fully compatible with the Osmo Pro and RAW. DJI's new mounting solution for CrystalSky on Osmo has now been released.

CrystalSky - Osmo Pro:RAW Mounting Bracket.png
DJI CrystalSky OSMO Pro & RAW Mounting Bracket - Part 4 | Advexure – $79

When connecting the CrystalSky to Osmo via a wired connection (best way to connect to reduce latency) you need the Wired Video Adapter which converts the video signal to a USB signal.

DJI Osmo Pro/RAW Wired Video Adapter – Part 94 | Advexure – $19

DJI Osmo Pro:RAW Wired Video Adapter – Part 94.pngFrustrating that is takes another $98 on top of the CrystalSky Monitor to be up and running with the complete solution...

My issue is I would like to understand what 1000 nits and 2000 nits looks like.

That's the big question. If perceived brightness is anything like perceived loudness, twice the nits wouldn't appear twice as bright. With sound it actually takes about 10 times as much power to produce something that's perceived as twice as loud, and twice the power is only 3 decibels louder.

Also, from what I've read it sounds like the anti-reflective nature of the screen might be just as responsible for improved visibility in daylight as the actual brightness of the screen (it almost acts like a sunshade so that the image on the screen doesn't have to compete as much with sunlight reflecting off the screen).

Between both of those, there might not be nearly as much difference between the 1000-nit and 2000-nit CrystalSky's as there is between the a 1000-nit CrystalSky and e.g. an iPad.

FWIW I did a quick search and found this video comparing displays with various brightness levels side-by-side:

That's the big question. If perceived brightness is anything like perceived loudness, twice the nits wouldn't appear twice as bright. With sound it actually takes about 10 times as much power to produce something that's perceived as twice as loud, and twice the power is only 3 decibels louder.

Also, from what I've read it sounds like the anti-reflective nature of the screen might be just as responsible for improved visibility in daylight as the actual brightness of the screen (it almost acts like a sunshade so that the image on the screen doesn't have to compete as much with sunlight reflecting off the screen).

Between both of those, there might not be nearly as much difference between the 1000-nit and 2000-nit CrystalSky's as there is between the a 1000-nit CrystalSky and e.g. an iPad.

FWIW I did a quick search and found this video comparing displays with various brightness levels side-by-side:

Thanks for that post. Very interesting.

Also- nits aside - I think you have to consider the practicality of the larger screen. For drones perhaps it's ok because of how you hold the RC but for mavic it would be cumbersome I think. Also on the osmo having a huge screen off to the side will make the rig which is already a little off balance if you have a full rig with z axis and focus wheel etc.
The new osmo mount is perfect. I already have the mount on the CS 5.5 and the base on my phantom pro RC. It makes it feel like a complete unit and feels very well designed.
I bought another mount and a 'plate' to use with my as yet I purchased mavic and I'll get he osmo attachment too even though I could use the Mavic plate in he existing osmo device holder, the dji solution is lover profile and that's always a good thing.

I'll end up with 3 mounts on three devices. That's £240 of mounts. Fortunately I was sent the video adapter as a beta tester. However I have one device with a standard mounting plate that I can use across multiple devices.

If they release the video-in dongle and some sort of adapter to mount the CS in a camera hotshoe or tripod mount I'll be using this for my video camera and DSLRs too.

If they release the video-in dongle and some sort of adapter to mount the CS in a camera hotshoe or tripod mount I'll be using this for my video camera and DSLRs too.

Good information and we sure hope the HDMI-in dongle is not a matter of if but when (now!). That dongle should really put the cherry on top of the CrystalSky as a whole, especially for the production folks that are using their CS monitors on set. Way easier to justify an $849 7.85" 2000-nit display + dongle ($?) over some of the higher end $2k+ displays (which offer no tablet functionality). Now let's get the Ultra shipping...

I'm not sure about it. It looks a bit chunky. Will it be as good as a top end smartphone screen? I'm not sure it's worth all the extra money if I'm honest.
Smartphones and tablets are only about half as bright from what I understand.

Reactions: Advexure
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters