DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Current Mini 2 owners ONLY

Since you opened this thread, then vote...

• I am a Current Mini 2 OWNER and I read this topic.

• I do NOT own a Mini 2 but i read this topic.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I own a Mini2 and Air2S and ......... maybe upgrade my Mini 2 for a Mini 3P but ONLY when I would be able to fly w/o the stupid DJI Geo Zone restrictions like I do with my other drones (only requesting LAANC to FAA). Waiting patiently for DH to do their magic.

Reactions: Jam0ne
I own a Mini2 and Air2S and ......... maybe upgrade my Mini 2 for a Mini 3P but ONLY when I would be able to fly w/o the stupid DJI Geo Zone restrictions like I do with my other drones (only requesting LAANC to FAA). Waiting patiently for DH to do their magic.
The DJI Geo Zone restrictions are certainly annoying, but I haven't found them to be particularly onerous.

DH?

Now that I've read your "Article" I guess I'll add my two-cents. I am a current Mini 2 caretaker (you can never really "own" a Mini 2) and I've written how s/he comes to "life" when you power your Mini 2 on; watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time… So you can probably say that I've amorphized my Mini into a living, breathing thing… And yes, he has a name. When my first Mini 2 was "taken" from me (she was taken out by a heartless tree branch) and I received this replacement from DJI, I told my wife I did not know what to name it, and my wife said, "it's a he" and she gave him his name…

So, you can see I'm a bit prejudiced and I think that the Mini 2 has the nicest, cleanest lines of all Drones, everywhere… There is another survey asking if you would buy a US made Drone of equal quality and I think all of the US Drones look like flying Bricks; square, boxy and about as aerodynamic as a Flying Trashcan… I will not even address the firmware sophistication.

Also, so many of our brethren flyers are jumping into the Mini 3, It may be faster, it may be more sophisticated, and it may have so much better optics, but it is one ugly bird… All the "more this or more that" don't change the fact that not even a "mother" could love that much ugly…

View attachment 151618
I can't tell how ugly it is a 200 feet..my first drone is the mini2 and still love it.. but my carry all is the mini3 pro..Mavic 3 is just a little big for my bike.

v1.02.0300 firmware.
Just a point, anything less than 1.03.0000, does not update the battery firmware to correct the "auto-discharge" issue.

I have a Mini 2 and an Air 2 S.

I fly the Mini more often than the Air. I edit my photos which are always excellent. It goes without saying that the Air 2S is brilliant.

……so I have no interest in downgrading to the Mini 3.

Because of thestrickt laws here in Germany it is almost impossible to find an interesting location to fly and film something.. therefore not being able to fly much i will stick with the powerful Mini 2. An upgrade to Mini 3 is just a waste of money in my case… and drones over 249 g are of more limited use

The Mini 2 was my first drone....wanted to get into the hobby without too much expense, this drone fit the bill. Once I realized how much I loved piloting drones, I eventually also got the Mavic Air 2S. I fly the Mini 2 much more often than the Air 2S, as being of smaller size, it is easier to carry along, and I usually walk in to where I fly, as opposed to setting up near my car. However, when I do get the chance to fly the Air 2S, I prefer it over the Mini 2 as it seems to be more resistant to winds, and also, because it's larger, it's easier to see, meaning I can fly slightly further and stay in VLOS.

Just this week I also got the Mini 3 Pro. I was attracted by the reputed quieter flight and the smart controller. It seemed to me from what I'd read on this forum, that one could not buy smart controllers separately. I did my first Mini 3 test flight yesterday and all went well. I do have a question about getting files off of the smart controller and onto my PC --- how is that done? Also....is the smart controller that comes with Mini 3 Pro usable for other DJI drones like the Mini 2 and Air 2S? The salesman seemed to think so...I haven't tried it out....tool for drone.jpg
I do have one complaint about the Mini 3 based on my first day's experience. The mini SD card apparently can't be inserted and locked in (or removed) without some type of tool. I searched online for how to do this and someone on YouTube had a card insertion tool that I don't know where they got it...I macgyvered it and realized a medium sized flat screwdriver tip (as on this Leatherman tool) would probably work, and it did. I think that if DJI is going to make it impossible to insert or remove an SD card without a tool, they ought to provide that tool with the drone, that only makes sense. Any others notice this problem?

I have a friend who's quite interested in possibly getting a drone, but he's a bit of a luddite and has no smart phone. I realized that for people like him, a drone that comes with a smart controller is just the ticket.

I like what others are saying about the Autel Evo and so....maybe later.....

My next drone would be a Mavic 3 if I could swing it financially. As a hobbyist photographer, the better sensor will provide the better results I am looking for. Until then, I will use my Mini2.

Last edited:
I was fascinated with the idea of flying a drone before and after retirement. My kids gave me a Mini 2 upon my retirement. I was thrilled. Loved the technology, flight capability, portability, excellent photographic output, but the reality struck early on. Where to fly the little bird.

To this end, I’m in the category that this will be my last drone. While DJI has been very responsive to my requests for flight waivers in areas which have irrational restrictions, I basically can’t fly it in my own city.

But most troubling for me is it is manufactured and controlled by a country that quite frankly scares the <fill in your favorite word for potty> out of me. Therefore, should I ever think of a replacement, I think I would lean toward Autel…made in America…albeit spendy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61