DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Yes. Controls are variable... but I often get a 10-12 second Hyperlapse from a 20-22minute flight.
Thanks "they" keep talking abut it without really saying what it did... if they just called it Time lapse, I would have known!

I have yet to try any of the "auto" picture functions... some day...

VERY COOL!!! So then the drone just hovers while it shoots this??

And very nice video! How long was it actually shooting?
actual was 23 minutes. Drone just hovers... although you can fly it around if you want.
Here's an intersection at dusk with traffic... same technique, but frame interval set to about 4-5 seconds

Reactions: A.O.
So "Hyperlapse" is just a "time lapse" thing?
Well... per the perhaps not so precise definition, a timelapse is done from mainly a fixed location into a constant direction, some slow & short panning or/and pitching can be included though. A hyperlapse on the other hand, mean that movement of the camera should be included to a much greater extent.

Reactions: Thomas B
Well... per the perhaps not so precise definition, a timelapse is done from mainly a fixed location into a constant direction, some slow & short panning or/and pitching can be included though. A hyperlapse on the other hand, mean that movement of the camera should be included to a much greater extent.
Or try setting individual pics at lesser intervals.
Another option would be compressing the timeline in post processing.

Or try setting individual pics at lesser intervals.
Another option would be compressing the timeline in post processing.
Don't think timelapse vs. hyperlapse have anything to do with a compressed timeline as such... both mean speeding up the depicted event. It's all about camera movement...

This is what I should call a timelapse...

... and this, a hyperlapse.

Don't think timelapse vs. hyperlapse have anything to do with a compressed timeline as such... both mean speeding up the depicted event. It's all about camera movement...

This is what I should call a timelapse...

... and this, a hyperlapse.

Don’t see the other example yet...
but here’s how I think about it:
Hyperlapse - a series of still images taken at prescribed intervals. Admittedly a DJI program mode. Chosen as a format before shooting video.
Timelapse - the speeding up of a video in post-production to compress a regular video. This requires working with frame rate to keep the video fluid in appearance.

I fully agree that camera movement must be controlled.
we’re kind of saying the same thing I believe.

Don’t see the other example yet...
but here’s how I think about it:
Hyperlapse - a series of still images taken at prescribed intervals. Admittedly a DJI program mode. Chosen as a format before shooting video.
Timelapse - the speeding up of a video in post-production to compress a regular video. This requires working with frame rate to keep the video fluid in appearance.

I fully agree that camera movement must be controlled.
we’re kind of saying the same thing I believe.
Yeah I know what you mean & it's here the fuzziness of these 2 comes in play ... hyperlapse is kind of a new expression (started to become commonly used from approx 2014), in the past it was called dynamic lapse & meant a time lapse with freedom to move or transport the camera through the scene, the pure time lapse was always shot from a single location with minimal movements. Both time & hyperlapses can be made either by joining several stills on the same video timeline or by simply speeding up a video shot. My 2 earlier attached clips (hopefully the second is shown now ...) consists of several hundreds of stills joined in Davinci Resolve.

If you Google it both meanings is found nowadays ... but in the past you only had dynamic lapses & timelapses, the name "hyper" came later.

Below 2 links give 2 different explanations ...

Movement that is the separating ...
What's The Difference Between A Timelapse And Hyperlapse?

And here a clip that goes through the 2 techniques...

But the explanation you give regarding "made from stills or video" shows up also ... but not as many though.

Time-lapse vs. Hyperlapse: What's the Difference? - GroundFloor Media

Reactions: Thomas B
I don't get why night flying is so dangerous either. Lights easier to see, less people around. What's the issue for the likes of CASA (in Australia) to ban such night flying? I have asked them, but no response. I asked them numerous other questions also such as why keep 30m distant from any person, why 5.5 km from an airport, why VLOS.
CASA don't want to put any effort into controlling drones, they just want to be seen to be doing something to keep morons in the Federal Senate transport committee happy (look up senate hearings into control of drones). Believe it or not, most of the hearings questioning was lead by a senator who owns a trucking company and was probably concerned about the future impact on his business of drone delivery. Also, basically, Australias rules have been copied and pasted from the general vibe that is floating around out there, mostly the US.

Good and bad, they don't want to get involved and generally won't. For the complainers out there it is a long and tedious process to get your complaint through, and unless there is an incident, generally it will disappear into a deep pit, with at worst a slap on the wrist, if they can find you. I agree some of the rules don't make sense.

If you want to get the rules relaxed for yourself or your "business", take the REPL licence and many rules are relaxed or simply disappear. Also, many of the "rules" as stated on the CASA website don't in fact exist in law, they are put there to deter the casual first-time flyer who drops the hobby after a few weeks. Same goes for "rules" on council websites. They have no legal standing. ie Monash City council 65metre maximum height rule = rubbish. The same goes for where you can fly. Parks etc can set that you cant take off / land from their land, but cannot stop you from flying over the land as long as you are higher than the tallest tree. Only CASA can set height restrictions. That info comes from an aviation lawyer/drone flyer who posted an article on the subject of CASA's rules.

I do a small amount of night flying. I take off from a park don't go higher than to clear the trees, take my shot, and come back down. No one else around and I don't fly hundreds of metres, 50-60 at most.

Scout the area, find a safe spot to land/take off from, don't do something blatantly flouting the rules or risky like flying over the city (take long shots from a park or footy ground). If in your stomach it doesn't feel safe, don't do it. If you don't want to take the risk, don't do it.

I know there are those that won't approve, and I do understand the risks of trees etc, but As I said scout, straight up and down, no one else around, and only rarely in built-up areas.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661