DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Have you tried active tracking one with the other?
yes, it works although it may lose the object at times. (both). I have some great video. The visual sensors go a little crazy if you get too close, which is why I like the M2Z zoom as it doesn't get too close.
:rolleyes: :cool: I'm probably a nerd & a pixel peeper when it comes to photography ... have transitioned from zoom's to all fixed lenses in my camera kit due to simpler lens design therefore better optical quality. I'm thinking ... I was born with two legs ... if I want to come closer I walk or put on my 400mm tele lens (which cost is completely unknown for my wife :p) And every time I hear people value digital zoom I can't stop thinking ... why not just cut into the pic in post?

But that's me ...:D
This is off topic and not to counter your opinion, my favorite photos were with a Nikon 2-300 zoom of a subject with the surroundings blurred out behind them, like a person with the Grand Canyon behind them. I found non digit photos better, although you had to take lots of photos to get one great one. Digital not as impressive to me, maybe due to my skill level.

Reactions: E90RAW
Beautiful, just curious, what were your camera settings for these two pics?
Shutter 2,5sec ISO 400 for the castle & 2sec ISO 200 for the city night view ... both with the MA's fixed aperture 2.8. Taken in RAW & processed through Adobe Lightroom.

Reactions: dorgs and E90RAW
Shutter 2,5sec ISO 400 for the castle & 2sec ISO 200 for the city night view ... both with the MA's fixed aperture 2.8. Taken in RAW & processed through Adobe Lightroom.
Thank you....now that warmer weather is on its way and I have the Firehouse ARC's, I am interested in some nighttime photos.

Have you tried active tracking one with the other?
Yeah, no, don't do that. We've seen before that the tracking algorithm isn't made for that. The tracking drone might well fly straight into its target. I doubt you want to see two broken drones plummeting to earth.

Reactions: dorgs and E90RAW
Yeah, no, don't do that. We've seen before that the tracking algorithm isn't made for that. The tracking drone might well fly straight into its target. I doubt you want to see two broken drones plummeting to earth.
Thanks for pointing this out. I was on my way to try this. Maybe try tracking on Hadedas, in flight, at night.
Thanks also for posting the settings of those night shots. What video settings do you use for night flying, for fpv?

So, I have to admit it. I love flying my M2P/M2Z at night. The sound of the blades slicing through the night air as it passes overhead, the scintillating lights blinking like a twinkling star in the distance, the glaring landing light illuminating the the surrounding sky like a UFO. I love it. Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous, and I know its bad. I know what your thinking, "youre gonna crash man, don't do it". But I can't help it. Those lights draw me in like a twinkling star. Red for come, green for go. It's the one time of the day when you can fly without the screen, the lights guiding the way. Am I gonna crash?
Sounds like me trying to gather the courage to ask a women out... Except for the sound of the blades. ;)

So, I have to admit it. I love flying my M2P/M2Z at night. The sound of the blades slicing through the night air as it passes overhead, the scintillating lights blinking like a twinkling star in the distance, the glaring landing light illuminating the the surrounding sky like a UFO. I love it. Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous, and I know its bad. I know what your thinking, "youre gonna crash man, don't do it". But I can't help it. Those lights draw me in like a twinkling star. Red for come, green for go. It's the one time of the day when you can fly without the screen, the lights guiding the way. Am I gonna crash?
Why would you crash just because it's dark? Keep your lowest altitude above the tallest obstruction. Simple as that.

Sounds like me trying to gather the courage to ask a women out... Except for the sound of the blades. ;)
The above response may be apropos:
"Yeah, no, don't do that. We've seen before that the tracking algorithm isn't made for that. The tracking drone might well fly straight into its target. I doubt you want to see two broken drones plummeting to earth. "

• Haha
Reactions: Prismatic
Thanks for pointing this out. I was on my way to try this. Maybe try tracking on Hadedas, in flight, at night.
Thanks also for posting the settings of those night shots. What video settings do you use for night flying, for fpv?
Absolutely try the tracking, it's great other than the inconsistencies. You won't crash.

The above response may be apropos:
"Yeah, no, don't do that. We've seen before that the tracking algorithm isn't made for that. The tracking drone might well fly straight into its target. I doubt you want to see two broken drones plummeting to earth. "
Yeah, I've seen that response, I just thought I would be... A little more easy about the subject. I'm sure you are aware of (possible) risks.

Night videoing is much much more limiting then taking stills ... for video you shouldn't (& some cameras can't) go with a slower shutter then equal the frame rate ... meaning 25fps -->1/25sec., but this slow will for sure create a lot of motion blur in panning's & for moving objects. After that it's again only higher ISO values that makes it.

f3ef70e7ecda0c033c914310d664be91.jpg

I am from a different camp: I prefer flying at dusk or dawn, vs night flight. I find that the details in the sky help for a better composition, being part of the image.

Night is pretty too, but more challenging with obstacles, more difficult to find a proper lighted subject, and in some cases, illegal anyway.

I don’t need to see blinking light in the sky and hear the whirl of the props as the drone fly by, like the OP...:)

If this aircraft is getting airborne, it is with a shot in mind. Otherwise, it’s just useless tear and wear and risks for nothing.

Ah well.

PS:
MP2
F2.8
1/5 sec.

Reactions: E90RAW and slup
Get busy livin...or get busy dyin.

these days if you found something to make your toes curl, then just do it! I am also tempted by the adrenaline rush and accomplishment of doing crazy stuff you already know might not end well.
But don't you kinda have that same feeling (although only a fraction) every time you fly, even during the day?

A veteran drone pilot told me these two things:

1. If you can't afford to crash, you probably shouldn't be doing this.
2. If you don't crash...you're probably not having real fun.

So, if safety is not an issue; go fly like a bat dude!

Haven't flown at night for a long time, but am thinking of doing so at 23.55 - 00.05 New Year's Eve. I have Proppeler protection with diode light, and here lots of New Year's rockets are fired so the whole sky sparkles, and naturally film it all.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147