DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Davinci 17 STUDIO- Noise reduction experiment

Ok... Again, I'm a relative newbie to video. I rely largely on my photography/Photoshop skill set to hack my way through video things right now as I learn.

The very first thing I shot with my M2p in August was this Bahai project. I started in Normal mode and a bit into the project switched to D-Log, but all shot in 4k. I have no idea why I settled for a 1080p setting, just not knowing any better, I initially rendered the entire project in 1080. At that time I bought the Neat Video amateur plug-in which is what was used for the original. Later on (October) I decided that there was no reason to limit that project to 1080, so I deleted the source files in the master bin, keeping the timeline intact, reset the project to 4k, then reimported and re-linked the source files with the timeline and re-rendered it all in 4k. The thing is, that Neat Video Amateur, if trying to render above 1080p only de-noises the center of the image. No good. So what I did was I went to the original 1080p file, and rendered it as a 4k file (I think). Then I imported that rendered file into the 4k version of the project which is what you see. I don't think it did a half bad job considering it was a cheat.

As far as retiming things in Neat Video... Until this moment I didn't even know that was an option/thing/setting/adjustment o_O . As I said... I'm hacking my way through a video education. But I love continuously learning new stuff... It just keeps getting harder with age. I now know what my dad meant when he said he forgot more than I ever knew. I can say that to my kids now... cause it's true! ?
I wasn’t criticizing I was just trying to educate.

In that situation I would try the superscale function in your shiny new Resolve Studio edition.

This video should be 10 seconds long but it was the shortest one I could find. However, he says 4k is 2x the resolution of 1080p, however, that is wrong it’s 4x.

Right click on a video and go to clip attributes.

Go to superscale and change to 4x,is all this video needed to say.

• Wow
Reactions: vindibona1
Who knew Brett???? But what would have happened to the Neat Video had I done that? I suspect I'd still have to render it in 1080p, reimport it and then super-scale it. But all my source clips were 4k. I just stupidly originally set the preference to 1920x1080. I need to learn more about that. I was told that once the resolution is set at the beginning, its stuck unless you dump your source clips from the Master bin, change the resolution and reimport/relink the source material. While I'm less confused in one area I've got more questions now.

Who knew Brett???? But what would have happened to the Neat Video had I done that?
-Make a new 1080p timeline

-Import the original clip

-At the bottom of the inspector panel under “Retime and Scaling” change the (edit “Resize Filter”) to “sharper” *This step isn’t required but will help the Super Scale process*

-Apply Neat Video

-Render out the clip in 1080p (preferably to an intermediate codec like ProRes 422 or DNxHD, let me know if I should explain what this is and why you would do it)

-Import the rendered clip back into the 4k timeline that has the rest of your 4k footage

-Super-scale the new clip then render the full video normally.

This is the best work around to get 4k footage from the non-pro version of Neat-Video.

I was told that once the resolution is set at the beginning, its stuck unless you dump your source clips from the Master bin, change the resolution and reimport/relink the source material.
This not true and that video proves that. He just changed the timeline resolution and that was it. The source files in the Media bin are just links to the media they don’t actually get copied over to Resolve. Maybe the person that said this was thinking of a timeline frame rate which can’t be changed while media is on the timeline.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851