Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Dealing with passers by who hate drones?

Keisersozze

Reaction score
What's a good way to deal with passers by who ask questions and seem to hate drones? They have no right to see my drone license or registration number etc as far as I know. Any suggestions? This is of course assuming I'm flying according to the rules.
I hear drone pilots getting harassed and now that I have my Basic Drone License and will start flying I want to know the best way to deal with such situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCO1977

Mavic Mac

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Please don't start out with the assumption that everybody that stops and/or passes by hates drones. Some people are just curious about what you are doing and what the drone can/cannot do. It is you golden opportunity to enlighten and educate the person about drones and what was required of you to obtain your license. As @anzacjack stated be polite and calm and be a diplomat for the drone hobby

Keisersozze

Reaction score
Please don't start out with the assumption that everybody that stops and/or passes by hates drones. Some people are just curious about what you are doing and what the drone can/cannot do. It is you golden opportunity to enlighten and educate the person about drones and what was required of you to obtain your license. As @anzacjack stated be polite and calm and be a diplomat for the drone hobby
Thanks. I agree this is good advice. I guess I meant in more of a situation where it seems hostile. Such as "demanding" to see your drone license for example. The "Karen" types.

Last edited:

MAvic_South_Oz

Reaction score
Adelaide, South Australia, the great southern land
Talking to them isn't a really good option.
It takes your attention away from the aircraft, both mental concentration, and eye contact when taking . . . it's really hard to seriously converse without eye contact, and can make you seem very detached / disinterested to the other party.

Maybe print up a simple 1/2 page size sheet with some pretinant text.
Something like (make your own terms up) . . .

Thanks for you interest in my drone flight.

My drone is in flight and need to focus 100% on this.
Please wait if you wish to talk, I am happy to after landing.

I am a registered / licenced pilot.
I am flying legally.

Thank you.

(Contact info, perhaps just name, phone, email , web as desired)

This addresses both interested people, and more hostile people.

Keisersozze

Reaction score
It takes your attention away from the aircraft, both mental concentration, and eye contact when taking . . . it's really hard to seriously converse without eye contact, and can make you seem very detached / disinterested to the other party.

I am flying legally.

Thank you.

Thought maybe there was a go to response that drone pilots have. A stranger certainly doesn't deserve to know my phone number and other person information, in fact that could be dangerous if they're some sort of psycho. More than happy to give that sort of info only to proper authorities.

Reactions: Thanev

Lurch003

Reaction score
Firstly, you're in control of an active aircraft so I'd politely advise them that you need full concentration. Up to you if you finish your flight or land straight away to talk to them!

Keep it polite, they might not be haters. Depends if they're uneducated/hostile/think you're invading their privacy/curious etc on how you deal with it. Seen some crazy vids online, even one where the woman shoved the drone in her jacket and tried keeping it and then went hysterical and spouting total lies when the police showed up to deal with it- and luckily saw her for what she was!

Reactions: Keisersozze

Parrotoid

Reaction score

I am flying legally.

Thank you.

This is a great idea. Even making little slips with this info. I’ll do that for sure.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

Dale D

Reaction score
What's a good way to deal with passers by who ask questions and seem to hate drones? They have no right to see my drone license or registration number etc as far as I know. Any suggestions? This is of course assuming I'm flying according to the rules.
I hear drone pilots getting harassed and now that I have my Basic Drone License and will start flying I want to know the best way to deal with such situations.
Have you considered buying one of these?- listed on Amazon yellow vest for drones. There are more listed than shown here.

Attachments

Lurch003

Reaction score
Have you considered buying one of these?- listed on Amazon yellow vest for drones. There are more listed than shown here.
I considered a hi-vis but think that draws too much attention to the recreational user who's trying to not attract attention! Just my opinion ;)

Peterson

Reaction score
I use the vest that says "FAA Licensed Drone Pilot". Also use a "flight buddy" (usually spouse) that handles such questions and interruptions. She sets in her chair and reads magazines until some interested 3rd party comes around. Works real well for me but then again I normally fly in remote locations that would not have any well meaning curious individuals to distract my flying.

tangy07

Reaction score
Never had an issues, usually i stay away from people. Sometimes people will just get close and see what you are doing and a lot of kids are interested too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacDaddyMavic