DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with passers by who hate drones?

Reactions: BigAl07 and kevbac
OK... I had a brief exchange with Ryan at aerial-pixel.com. I asked if it was possible to request a couple of customizations for Canadian pilots.
Not only did he do them, he even offered to change the logo on the 'Before You Ask' T-Shirt.

So, on their way to me, as soon as he does them are a hi-vis T-shirt that reads TCCA Licensed Drone Pilot, instead of FAA; and a Before you ask T-shirt with an Inspire 1 Pro silhouette, and the last line ('No, you can't fly it.") deleted. (It just felt more Canadian to not just come out and say 'No, you can't fly it' on the shirt.) :)

SO - 10/10 will definitely buy from Ryan again!

I wonder if I can get him to do a T-Shirt with my entire fleet (Tello, Mavic Mini, Mavic Pro, Inspire 1 Pro)?

Last edited:
Reactions: passedpawn
What's a good way to deal with passers by who ask questions and seem to hate drones? They have no right to see my drone license or registration number etc as far as I know. Any suggestions? This is of course assuming I'm flying according to the rules.
I hear drone pilots getting harassed and now that I have my Basic Drone License and will start flying I want to know the best way to deal with such situations.
My friend, the best thing to do for everyone that is involved is to bring your drone in,, try calmly explain what the purpose of your flight is. If there is still a confrontation, I would just pack up and leave. It’s not worth the hassle. Putting aside the fact you have a licence, does the jurisdiction that you are flying in have specified bylaws with regard to fling UAV’s? I know Calgary does.

Reactions: kevbac
Really good advice here. I am new to flying drones and have yet to meet any hostile people. I registered to fly at a local RC club for now so I can practice in a safe environment. It's a great location not too far from the city. I previously had found a good spot on a dead-end road in the countryside (overlooking the Mer Bleu bog in Ottawa) but I was barely 100ft from a home and I figured the locals would eventually get tired of seeing me there.

I don't believe this statement is accurate: "...and explain that legally, they have to stay at least 100 feet away from the drone".

I have to stay 100 feet away from bystanders because I have a basic operations license but I can't restrict people from accessing that area. I have no such authority. I have to land safely until they leave or pack up and go somewhere else. Telling them they can't be there would likely lead to confrontations - especially if I'm near their turf.

Just tell them it's not a drone, it's a quadcopter, then get back to business.

Many people today belong to the outrage class. That class of folks have a little dropdown list of things about which they must rage. Drones are on that list - quadcopters are not.

I will tell you this from my personal experience. Don't fly alone. For work I fly in a very strict environment and need to be highly focused on everything I'm doing flying. I have at least one spotter and if operating in an area with people close by i will have an additional person to answer questions. When I fly for myself I am aware of my surroundings to keep from being a victim of crime, I have over 2k USD on me in equipment. I carry a weapon for self defense but I always have someone with me observing my surroundings and providing support. Many time after professional and personal flights I will have people ask all kinds of questions and I take the time to show the Smart controller, show what can and can't bee seen from the air, talk about public space and privacy issues. I have cards on me usually that have websites for people to visit and read more about the rules of drones in the US, registration sight, and the FAA sight for reporting a problem.

Reactions: kevbac
Really good advice here. I am new to flying drones and have yet to meet any hostile people. I registered to fly at a local RC club for now so I can practice in a safe environment. It's a great location not too far from the city. I previously had found a good spot on a dead-end road in the countryside (overlooking the Mer Bleu bog in Ottawa) but I was barely 100ft from a home and I figured the locals would eventually get tired of seeing me there.

I don't believe this statement is accurate: "...and explain that legally, they have to stay at least 100 feet away from the drone".

I have to stay 100 feet away from bystanders because I have a basic operations license but I can't restrict people from accessing that area. I have no such authority. I have to land safely until they leave or pack up and go somewhere else. Telling them they can't be there would likely lead to confrontations - especially if I'm near their turf.
Think of it as an intentional misstatement. It is against the regulations to fly within 100 feet of non-participants. If you inform them of this, and they refuse to back off, that might be interpreted as interfering with an aircraft.

I flew from the waterfront at Morrisburg a couple of weeks ago. There were a couple of OPP vehicles in the parking lot. I think they may have been exchanging donuts err... progress information on how their shifts were going. Anyway, I approached them and asked if they knew of any issues if I wanted to fly a drone and get some video of the waterfront. When the water is fairly still, it's possible to make out some of the roads and the old canal locks that were submerged in 1957 when the Cornwall Dam came into service. They said go ahead.

While flying - more than 100 feet offshore, away from any people - a kid kept coming by on his bike - riding slowly and turning to see where I was looking. After I landed, I chatted with him and his mom for about 10 minutes.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I haven't encountered anyone who has been at all negative.

@passedpawn - That outrage... It comes from fear. People fear what they don't understand. This causes them to jump to extreme responses (fight/flight/freeze response). Give yourself - and them - a chance to breath. Then a calm, polite (also long and boring) response can go a long way to helping them regain their composure.

Last edited:
Reactions: passedpawn
Just tell them it's not a drone, it's a quadcopter, then get back to business.

Many people today belong to the outrage class. That class of folks have a little dropdown list of things about which they must rage. Drones are on that list - quadcopters are not.
I like the idea - "quadcopter". If anyone tries that explanation, be sure to let us all know how it works out.

Maybe get technical - "Uhm, sorry, no, it isn't a drone. It's a small Remote Piloted Aircraft. The military uses drones."

Naw... too wordy.. "Uhm, sorry, nope - it's a quadcopter." -- or hexacopter for those of use with beaucoup bucks and a Matrice.

My friend, the best thing to do for everyone that is involved is to bring your drone in,, try calmly explain what the purpose of your flight is. If there is still a confrontation, I would just pack up and leave. It’s not worth the hassle. Putting aside the fact you have a licence, does the jurisdiction that you are flying in have specified bylaws with regard to fling UAV’s? I know Calgary does.

They who land and walk away can fly again another day? ?

I will tell you this from my personal experience. Don't fly alone. For work I fly in a very strict environment and need to be highly focused on everything I'm doing flying. I have at least one spotter and if operating in an area with people close by i will have an additional person to answer questions. When I fly for myself I am aware of my surroundings to keep from being a victim of crime, I have over 2k USD on me in equipment. I carry a weapon for self defense but I always have someone with me observing my surroundings and providing support. Many time after professional and personal flights I will have people ask all kinds of questions and I take the time to show the Smart controller, show what can and can't bee seen from the air, talk about public space and privacy issues. I have cards on me usually that have websites for people to visit and read more about the rules of drones in the US, registration sight, and the FAA sight for reporting a problem.
Cards, trinkets, etc - handy things.
I also offer to 'deputize' people as my observers if they approach me before I launch. I should record their information, though - I'm going to print up some agreement forms for observers - I'll have them include contact info for the observer, as well as the pertinent section of the regulations. I already keep a bunch of model release forms handy. Models, observers and other crew members or participants are not bystanders - based on the regulations, the 100 foot limit doesn't apply to them.

Here is my story,

Few months ago i was flying as i do always in a near lake completely alone 120-150 ft over the water like i do usually and a couple came to me asking if the drone has a camera and i was recording, well i say "yes has a camera and i most of the time record or i take pictures". They say there where in a kayak and i flew next to them and i invade their privacy, that they are trying to have a nice vacations and i ruin their vacations because that.

I say, i am so sorry if you feel like that, i am flying over 100 ft away and yes i saw the kayak when i was flying but i never stop or hover on them and i keep my normal flying. I even say, you are welcome to see the footage. Also i explain that i do not did any criminal act. They took out their cell phone and start recording me about 3 ft from my face. I told them "now you are invading my privacy, please stay away from me or i will call the police". They say i will call the police and i say that i am OK with that.

They just walk away and nothing else happened. Sometimes yes there are drone hatters and think they are above the law. I never record people unless they give me permit to do it.

Cards, trinkets, etc - handy things.
I also offer to 'deputize' people as my observers if they approach me before I launch. I should record their information, though - I'm going to print up some agreement forms for observers - I'll have them include contact info for the observer, as well as the pertinent section of the regulations. I already keep a bunch of model release forms handy. Models, observers and other crew members or participants are not bystanders - based on the regulations, the 100 foot limit doesn't apply to them.
I like that idea of getting them involved if they would like to. Show them how fun it is and just maybe they’ll realize they want to buy one. If you are following all the federal, and local rules, you have no worries..... unless some yahoo shoots down your drone. Thank goodness, that’s not likely to happen in Canada.

Taser ? :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000