DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Defective Mavic 2 Protector Case? Smart Controller slot far too tight (yes, blocks removed)

Bystrek

Reactions
I just received a Mavic 2 Protector Case. I removed the two foam blocks that are supposed to be for the standard controller, but even with the blocks removed, it's absolutely impossible to insert the DJI Smart Controller as the width of the slot is about 1/8 inches too narrow pressing tightly against the left and right edges of the controller. Even forcing it down a half an inch, it's super hard to get back up and squeaks badly. Even tried leaving it in this position overnight to see if the foam might relax - it didn't. DJI customer service has responded that they're sorry that I'm not happy with the product and should return it and incur the shipping cost as it's not defective... say that they're sure that if I remove the foam blocks that I will be "very happy" and find that all "fits just fine". Arrrg!

My question to to community... The quality of the case is awesome otherwise. Particularly, the Mavic 2 Pro fits great ad solidly protects from any force on the motor shafts. Should I try ordering another?

Not clear whether this is a manufacturing defect.... Foam molding ran too quickly... Perhaps an insert for a previous generation of the Mavic or Mavic Pro... Perhaps there's been a redesign of the Smart Controller dimensions... Perhaps just a recent re-tooling or re-design of the foam and an error was made.

Anyone have any thoughts? I definitely read some posts out there saying that this case worked for some.

Brian.

You just said it. Case was designed for standard controller. Smart controller is more of the size of a tablet with protective case, so I don't get your surprise.
With so many cases out there, specifically what case are you discussing? Link?

DJI Customer support claims that it accommodates both the standard and Smart Controller by removing the two loose foam blocks for the larger controller.

However, at least with the case that they shipped me, even the standard controller will not fit. There's no provision to clear the side USB cable that's threaded through phone holding arms. So if you remove the blocks that are supposed to apply to the Smart Controller, then you can insert the standard controller - and it's also super-tight, but tolerable unlike with the Smart Controller where it simply won't fit. I'm pretty sure that they've either had a manufacturing mistake or a tooling design error. There are several YouTube reviews from early 2019 where the Smart Controller fits. I have one friend with the same setup and his does fit. The box that I received shows a manufacturing date of 07/2019.

Here's where the interference is occurring at the left and right edge of the controller as it enters the slot where you can see it tying to push the straight edge of the slot outward on each side as I've forced it about an inch into the slot.

-673159868_20191114_072736_3876451.jpg

-795598580_20191114_072645_3834574.jpg

896967224_20191114_072626_3494155.jpg

Hi I’m a bit baffled with this but the difference I see between yours and mine is where the foam meets the case on the controller side mine has a small gap yours does not. You could try pulling the whole foam out of the case and see if it then fits. This would determine if the case is warped and squeezing the foam. The gap at the top of the foam where the controller fits is 40 mm both sides on mine and is a fairly slack fit. Hope this may help

Reactions: Bystrek
Hi I’m a bit baffled with this but the difference I see between yours and mine is where the foam meets the case on the controller side mine has a small gap yours does not. You could try pulling the whole foam out of the case and see if it then fits. This would determine if the case is warped and squeezing the foam. The gap at the top of the foam where the controller fits is 40 mm both sides on mine and is a fairly slack fit. Hope this may help
Did try that... Definitely slightly looser as you point out, but still not possible to fully insert it. It's not the 40mm dimension, the primary interference is in the long dimension. The slot on this case measures about 176mm, where the controller is about 178mm at the widest point.

Even worse, it doesn't even fit the standard controller by any stretch of the imagination. If you take the side blocks out, then you can get you hands in to be able to forcefully pull it out afterwards, but with the two blocks installed, the T/P/S switch get's strongly forced upward as you insert the controller as there's no cut out for it and would surely get broken.

I'm thinking this is likely sort of design error. All of the other slots fit the components perfectly without any friction. It's as if the controller area was sized exactly to the measured dimensions of the controllers without any addition for clearance as with the other slots and without any allowance for manufacturing tolerances of the foam insert.

So this leaves me with the dilemma of whether or not to request a replacement upon return or seek out another brand case. Could be the result of different suppliers to DJI, with different tooling, or a revision to the tooling or to the particular cavity that molded this particular one.

Hi again just measured my sc case and it is a slack 180 in good old British mm. The problem with DJI they don’t think that their products can be defective, I have had two issues with them one with a charging block where a guide pin fell off when I opened it from the wrapper, they said I had broke it being to rough with it ffs I had not even used it, they eventually replaced the charging block for free but would not conceive that it came faulty from the factory. My other issue was a battery, I think I was one of the first with a swollen battery but I was new to the game of drones and would not have noticed a slight swelling in my battery, to cut a long story short it cause a malfunction and my drone crashed. Again they would not admit it was a DJI fault. So I no longer buy direct from DJI I buy from a local supplier so if it is defective I can just take it back. Any way back to your problem check the photo of my case I have put a ikea paper tape measure across for you to see and maybe show DJI. Hope you sort the case.

Attachments

• EFE8350D-0826-4A05-8767-8708C70C1085.jpeg
    EFE8350D-0826-4A05-8767-8708C70C1085.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Your best bet is the GPC Case. If you previously owned the Mavic Pro and GPC Case, you can just purchase the inset to replace the original insert and use the same case. It's pretty convenient and cost effective. 20191206_215315 (002).jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krasto