DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Delay Notification from DHL for Air3S, Requesting SSN

sgrant64

Reactions
Received a notification from DJI last eve stating my shipment has been placed on temporary hold. They are requesting two pieces of information: 1)Line Item Tariff info and 2) my SSN. Has anyone else, waiting on an order, received similar? Haven't done anything with it yet... Not too thrilled about tossing my SSN number out.

• Wow
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
There are scams out there and there are also legit customs holds I would think this one a scam because no one else has reported such a notice I would ignore the e-mail all together and contact DHL from its own website. ( the contact info in the letter could be a scam site. I get scam e-mails or texts from time to time telling me stupid things about my shipments
usually its a prime order.
Late Edit you seem to now be the second member to recieve such a request STILL contact DHL thru a reliable adress only never the one included in the notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgrant64
Reactions: sarahb and Cafguy
They are requesting two pieces of information: 1)Line Item Tariff info and 2) my SSN
I'm not sure any legit request would require an SSN. Are you sure the notification was from DJI/DHL?

FWIW, I get text messages like this every month (at least) requesting similar type information for "packages held by USPS". None of them were legit.

I'm not sure any legit request would require an SSN. Are you sure the notification was from DJI/DHL?

FWIW, I get text messages like this every month (at least) requesting similar type information for "packages held by USPS". None of them were legit.
Me too!! Everyday almost from every shipper you can think of. always a scam! If I was in the OP's shoes I probably would have deleted it before I read it. If it was actually legit I would be waiting forever i suppose.

Any if you do decide to check into this, I wouldn't contact the email/phone and/or use the URL received in that message. Call DJI directly using the phone number they provide near the bottom of this page:

Specifically what's being requested on the notice. There's an attached link that when selected, opens a dialog box where I am expected to enter SSN.

Importer Number (EIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)​

All imported shipments valued at over $2,500 or otherwise requiring a formal entry with U.S. Customs must have an Importer Number associated with it. This will be your company's EIN (Employer Identification Number) if you are importing for a U.S.-based business or your SSN (Social Security Number) if you are importing as yourself for personal consumption. As required by US Customs regulation [19 CFR §111.24], such information is kept confidential by DHL Express and not must not be shared with any party other than US Customs and Border Protection.

All the following elements are required for entry:
• Federal Tax ID/EIN or Social Security Number for the US Based Importer
• Legal name associated with Tax ID/EIN OR Social Security Number
• Proof of IRS to match the EIN or SSN entered (See attached list for acceptable IRS Proof)
• Address associated with EIN OR SSN
• Type of Address - residential, office building, warehouse, etc.
• Name, title, phone number and email of contact person

Reactions: Cafguy
In the video by YouTuber OriginaldoBo, he also says they put his pre-release Air 3S on hold and asked him for his social security number, which is why he hasn’t been able to put out a video on the Air 3S. The link to the video is in one of the other posts here if anyone wants to give it a watch.
Very concerning nonetheless.
When exactly did this happen during the shipment? Did you get a customs clearance notification by DHL before this happened? Or was this before it was cleared in customs?
I ask because many of us who have delivery dates of Monday, October 21, have had our drones clear US customs before the plane even landed in LAX. And some of these people have had their drones continue onto the delivery, moving from the LA gateway to sorting hubs near their cities in the central US. My own Air 3S is still in the LA Gateway with a status of “customs cleared, package processed.” I imagine since I am close to the LA gateway, they did not need to send it to another sorting hub before delivering it to me? Will find out for sure tomorrow!

Also, did you purchase other things as well? Because I am wondering why the dollar amount is over $2k since I got the fly more combo with RC2 for $1750, which included tax.
Perhaps it’s the second portion of the statement that applies?

“All imported shipments valued at over $2,500 or otherwise requiring a formal entry with U.S. Customs must have an Importer Number associated with it.”

In the video by YouTuber OriginaldoBo, he also says they put his pre-release Air 3S on hold and asked him for his social security number, which is why he hasn’t been able to put out a video on the Air 3S. The link to the video is in one of the other posts here if anyone wants to give it a watch.
Very concerning nonetheless.
When exactly did this happen during the shipment? Did you get a customs clearance notification by DHL before this happened? Or was this before it was cleared in customs?
I ask because many of us who have delivery dates of Monday, October 21, have had our drones clear US customs before the plane even landed in LAX. And some of these people have had their drones continue onto the delivery, moving from the LA gateway to sorting hubs near their cities in the central US. My own Air 3S is still in the LA Gateway with a status of “customs cleared, package processed.” I imagine since I am close to the LA gateway, they did not need to send it to another sorting hub before delivering it to me? Will find out for sure tomorrow!
Received notification the shipment was delayed, then received notification that shipment had cleared, then received this most recent notification re needing SSN. Latest waybill tracking info (Sunday 10/20/24):
Shipment has departed from a DHL facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINAHONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA7:08 AM

WOW....You just may need to check into that just may be legit! davidarmenb has a good point tho.maybe they "value" the shipment other than purchase price?
I gotta say... The email looks totally legit. hyperlinks direct me to DHL site that also contains links to various areas within DHL... Looks legit. Still have not provided SSN, though. Sitting on it for now...

Most recent shipping notice on my order shows departed DHL facility in Los Angeles.
No request for additional information received.
Me personally, I don’t give ANYONE my S.S.number. I have walked away from transactions that someone claims that requirement.

Received notification the shipment was delayed, then received notification that shipment had cleared, then received this most recent notification re needing SSN. Latest waybill tracking info (Sunday 10/20/24):
Shipment has departed from a DHL facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINAHONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA7:08 AM
Are you able to tell if that “shipment cleared” was in regards to China customs or US customs? For example, my drone had to pass through China customs before departing, which got cleared quickly, and then it had to pass through US customs a short while before landing in LAX. I think, judging by the fact your latest tracking info shows departing from Hong Kong, the customs clearance was for China and you have not been cleared at US customs.
For reference, here is my complete tracking info up to now:
IMG_9555.jpeg
IMG_9554.jpeg

Reactions: sgrant64 and Cafguy
Received a notification from DJI last eve stating my shipment has been placed on temporary hold. They are requesting two pieces of information: 1)Line Item Tariff info and 2) my SSN. Has anyone else, waiting on an order, received similar? Haven't done anything with it yet... Not too thrilled about tossing my SSN number out.
Providing SSN seems scammy to me. If that was requested from me, I would have them return the shipment and have DJI process a refund. It's not something to mess with or worth having your identity stolen over.

I didn't have to provide any type of information for customs clearance, so this smells really fishy to me.

I gotta say... The email looks totally legit. hyperlinks direct me to DHL site that also contains links to various areas within DHL... Looks legit. Still have not provided SSN, though. Sitting on it for now...
I saw something on Reddit about another person having to provide EIN or SSN to DHL. The solution is to get in contact with DHL. They will handle it on their end.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agent-01