DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Detained by Police, Threatened with Arrest!

So.....first off, I live in Las Vegas. Second, I am a retired police officer. Third, this story seems a little off to me. I have had run in's before with private security here and they never have seized my property or searched my car etc. That would fall into felony burglary if they entered your vehicle without permission. They are not police, nor can the police search your car without probable cause. Second, if they used force or fear to take the drone, that's felony robbery. I doubt that happened. Are there drone spotters and electronic equipment that spots drones in Las Vegas, yes there is. The entire Las Vegas Strip has that technology. They know where the controller is and can locate you very easily. I have had negative experiences with private security out here several times when I fly but nothing like this story. The police out here have talked to me on several times due to idiots calling the police on me when I go out and fly. The police have never given me any problems once I explain myself to them and show them my 107 certification. This guy's story is all over the place which either means he was still upset by it or lying since he cannot keep his story straight.

I strongly suspect this is clickbait, but given reasonable doubt you still need education in lawful drone operations.

From your description you were breaking at least one rule and that is flying beyond Visual Line of Sight. At 1/2 mile away most DJI drones would not be visible to the naked eye.

A recreational pilot now has to follow the rules of a Community Based Organization and I am not aware of any that allow you to fly over crowds such as the fair.

If this story is true you have a case for assault and battery by the security guard that manhandled you before the uniformed police arrived.

If this thread goes off the rails it will be closed down. So everyone measure your responses to this thread.
I have to agree on the click-bait suggestion. I find it hard to believe that anyone who follows this forum doesn't know what part 107 is or that you can't fly over a crowd of people regardless of altitude, not to mention the 1/2 mile away thing. I also find it hard to believe that any law enforcement officials with the equipment to hunt down a drone controller that's a half mile away, doesn't know the drone rules and corresponding code numbers for those violations. Maybe I'm cynical, but something just doesn't add up.

This certainly seems like a bogus post from someone (who joined the forum earlier today) and who is just trying to stir up a fuss. It seems that they've accomplished their purpose.

Like many here, I’m unsure of the authenticity of this report and doubt its accuracy. As alleged, the “security guard“ has committed assault and illegal seizure. The police officers are guilty of pulling taffy.

However this scenario does raise the question of what to do in the event of being interrupted while flying, either by a private individual or an identifiable law enforcement officer. Are drone pilots protected by law while operating their aircraft? If the interrupting person causes a crash, either by distraction or physical contact, who is liable?

Does the drone operator enjoy the same protection that an onboard pilot would have? Or the driver of a vehicle? Or the operator of anything - a chainsaw, a firearm, a tractor - that requires his/her complete attention?

I fly with an iPad. The screen is bigger than a phone and, if I activate the “recording option“ on the app, I have an audio record of the sounds around me back at the ”home point.” (That record is on the iPad and accessible through DJI go4 app‘s “Album.” It’s not on the SD card onboard my “microphoneless“ drone. That records video only with no audio.)

I use that feature as an audio record of the drone’s telemetry which I add as it flies. I can also add comment about what is on the screen for later reference.

Naturally, it also adds all the audio at the control site, including bystanders and a would-be challenger‘s potential accident-causing-intrusion.

Obviously it would also record how I deal with the situation, that knowledge hopefully reminding me to keep my cool.

When my drone is allowed to return it will, of course, be able to add a video record of the proceedings.

Additionally, if I find myself in a similar situation, whether hostile or polite, I would get out my always present notebook and ask for the names and badge numbers of those who are questioning me. My drone, on the landing pad, is still recording and I will do as much as possible in front of the gimbal.

There is nothing to be gained by being belligerent. The drone operator, if she/he has done due diligence, is probably the most knowledgeable person on the scene.

Act like it!

I fly drone commercially in your neck of the woods (Los Angeles.) and in Arizona , Nevada, among others We live in a very drone aware part of the U.S. I have to say if this story did actually happen, you have quite a good lawsuit there. If you were treated that way by a private security guard then that person would lose their security guard license in that state and be arrested for grabbing your property. NO Private security guard may approach to question you in public. PERIOD. ( this alone will get you in lots of trouble in my state- California.) Security personnel are hired to observe and report. Only licensed Police officials can question you or touch your property.
You say the officer gave you false information while detaining you ? That alone will get the officer dismissed, and then you are now open to sue the local Government for a violation of your rights. This is why officers are extensively trained in speaking to, and informing the public.
Every police officer I have encountered ( LOTS) has been professional with me and the one time I did meet a "rude" one I reported him, and I was sent an apology from the city.
Police don't have to threaten to report you to the F.A.A. They are required by law to report these incidents anyway.
The first thing any officer says in this situation is may I see your Trust card , and I.D. They might maybe ask for My license but thats usually only after I tell them Im there Commercially.
Finally I feel it my duty to tell you that you to are in the wrong here also and if you were indeed flying 1/2 mile away and approaching a crowd of people to fly over them,--- YOU are breaking the Law.
If you were not flying Commercially then I see no reason for them to even mention a part 107 license to you. It is usually pretty obvious (cones, tape, signage. spotters. etc) when someone is flying commercially as opposed to recreationally.
Law enforcement here in So. Cal are trained to deal with Drones and I have not met any that would approach you in an aggressive manner for flying a drone. The O.P. has certainly described the bad apple in the barrel when it comes to Law enforcement.

Reactions: Dbez1
This certainly seems like a bogus post from someone (who joined the forum earlier today) and who is just trying to stir up a fuss. It seems that they've accomplished their purpose.
But I think the discussion is useful, especially wrt to the content of some of the answers (from other than the OP).

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
Do you have a TRUST certificate? Did you check if there were active TFRs ? You in my opinion should seek legal advice. Check 14 CFR 107 or faasafety.gov for more information.

Reactions: mavictk
Like others, there's too much suspect about this post, I basically don't believe it. That said, assuming it's true:

The worst thing done IMO was tossing his controller in the car and abandoning control while the drone was in the air. Now there is a drone (presumably over people) with no one controlling it at all. Bad time for, say, critical low battery landing.

Reactions: Torque
OP joined this morning. It seems to be a direct reference to the Burning Man thread.
Admins should do the standard IP address forensics and see if it's an existing member trying to stir up trouble.

Reactions: anotherlab
In Nevada what type of permit is required? I've never heard of such a thing. I have my drone registered with the FAA and keep a copy of the registration in my wallet. Also, what law says I cannot fly over people or crowds? Need some clarrification? And Yes I'm a new drone owner.

I've never been treated like this by the cops before. They had me detained for 45 mins telling me I was going to jail for a few gross misdemeanors.

• Haha
Reactions: Torque and mavictk
In Nevada what type of permit is required? I've never heard of such a thing. I have my drone registered with the FAA and keep a copy of the registration in my wallet. Also, what law says I cannot fly over people or crowds? Need some clarrification? And Yes I'm a new drone owner.
Have you taken the online course and test to obtain your TRUST certificate? It is required by the FAA to fly RC aircraft, and it's free. Your question about flying over people is answered there.

Until you accomplish this, you are not allowed to fly recreationally.

Last edited:
why would any responsible recreational drone owner think it's ok to fly their drone over people in any setting, let alone a fair or concert or outdoor market?

I think it would be completely irresponsible and downright dangerous

why would any responsible recreational drone owner think it's ok to fly their drone over people in any setting, let alone a fair or concert or outdoor market?
Because they're new, didn't know about TRUST, and are trying to learn.

Why would any experienced, knowledgeable pilot criticize harmless mistakes by a new pilot rather than take the opportunity to welcome and educate them?

Seems a more effective way to head off future disaster.

I think it would be completely irresponsible and downright dangerous
Because some youtube 'Gods' and "founts of all knowledge" think it is a cool thing to do.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972