DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disable forced landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
drops uncontrollably from the sky due to battery depletion
How is it going to do this, when it is connected, and the pilot can clearly see how much battery is remaining? Don't most drone pilots have brains? I would say they definitely have more brains than the people at DJI!

• Haha
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
How is it going to do this, when it is connected, and the pilot can clearly see how much battery is remaining? Don't most drone pilots have brains? I would say they definitely have more brains than the people at DJI!
I have great respect for the design and manufacturing teams at DJI. If you don't, consider purchasing from another company.

You want to remove a basic power management safety feature so that the pilot can fly until the battery is fully depleted, the motors stop, and the drone becomes a falling lump rather than an aircraft, regardless of it's position and altitude.

Well, call it brains or whatever. You hadn't educated yourself enough about the drone to even know there's a low-battery landing behavior. It seems to me that DJI's decision to incorporate a low-battery auto-landing feature was a good one.

How is it going to do this, when it is connected, and the pilot can clearly see how much battery is remaining?
Suppose the flyer flew too far and wasn't going to make it all the way home.
It starts a forced descent and he pushes the left stick up (which burns through the already depleted battery even faster) and tries to push the drone closer to home.
Battery runs down quickly until the drone just drops.
I would say they definitely have more brains than the people at DJI!
So a flyer who trashes his drone because he pushes the battery beyond it's limits has more brains than the folks that design and make DJI's wonderful drones?
Think again.

If my car breaks down I pull over to the side of the road. No biggie. If my aircraft breaks down I crash. Apples to Oranges.

If I want a safety feature of flying to battery 0%, because I'm flying over water, I don't plan on it to happen, but stuff hapens.

Its funny that most airplane pilots will spend there time practicing skills for emergency break downs of the planes, Fuel leaks, motor goes out, landing wheels wont go down.

So for many of us learning what to do when things go wrong is a big part of flying a drone.

I know another Trick that I will share with the Group and the OP !!

Lets say your on the Boat , and you have been fighting the forced landing and your trying to get the boat to the drone.

One of the things we learned from landing on the water is something I call the FROG JUMP !

At some point the Forced Landing is going to happen even though you kept the stick up because your battery is near 0 so what you can do is Trick the Force Landing .

To do this: You have to force land on your own before the Force Land takes place this will stop the forced landing auto from happening and than a moment before the Landing takes place you POP Back up as fast as possible giving you just another minute to get to your drone in the air. .

Than it starts all over with the forced landing but what you will find is that you have been flying for a few minutes at 0% on the battery.

Now is it good for the Battery , I am sure its not , however I have never had an issue by running my Battery down to zero ? The main thing is your Drone did not sink in the water and your boat makes it to the the drone or in my case before the waves wash over it with the Rescue Jacket.

I recently Practiced the Frog Jump with the Mini 4 Pro and it worked nicely.
Perhaps I will post a video for those Frog Jumpers out there.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Land on the water.

Reactions: QuaiOui
If my car breaks down I pull over to the side of the road. No biggie. If my aircraft breaks down I crash. Apples to Oranges.

If I want a safety feature of flying to battery 0%, because I'm flying over water, I don't plan on it to happen, but stuff hapens.
Not apples to oranges. It's about disabling the warnings instead of heeding them. Either could be very costly.

I know but they should be. If your connected and close to the home point a forced landing can cause you to crash.
This one is going to be on the test.

Question:
  • Pilot in command flies for 30+ minutes, ignoring the steadily decreasing battery level shown onscreen.
  • PIC maneuvers the drone too far away to return home safely.
  • PIC attempts to fly the drone home rather than choosing a safe remote landing area.
  • Drone automatically executes a low-battery landing, as described in the manual.
  • Drone lands under control but slowly sinks into a fresh, steaming, semi-liquid cow patty and uses its last milliamps of current to fry its circuitry. Puff of grey smoke drifts downwind. Cow moos.
Who or what is responsible?

Answer:

1) Pilot in command
2) Low-battery emergency landing system
3) Cow

Last edited:
Personally i place the blame firmly on the COW ,for having the audacity to deposite a steaming, semi-liquid cow patty,in the exact spot my drone chose to land ,the cheak of it :D:D:D:D:D:D

Why on earth do people on this forum judge each other so much? Being able to choose for yourself in different circumstances is great! Over area where there might be people or property, forced land. Over clear water or wilderness, run until empty if drone recovery isn’t possible. Even if you plan correctly, things can go wrong. Wind suddenly picks up, battery has an issue, human error, heck, you’re in Ukraine have to move from your home point unexpectedly and “going to get” the drone means risking life, and it might end up in enemy hands - run it until it can’t run no more! Let’s stop deciding about enforcing “rules” on others and insisting they explain themselves, and just help if we can!

Why on earth do people on this forum judge each other so much? Being able to choose for yourself in different circumstances is great! Over area where there might be people or property, forced land. Over clear water or wilderness, run until empty if drone recovery isn’t possible. Even if you plan correctly, things can go wrong. Wind suddenly picks up, battery has an issue, human error, heck, you’re in Ukraine have to move from your home point unexpectedly and “going to get” the drone means risking life, and it might end up in enemy hands - run it until it can’t run no more! Let’s stop deciding about enforcing “rules” on others and insisting they explain themselves, and just help if we can!
Yeah .. drone flyers shouldn't be expected to understand how their drones work and fly accordingly.
It's just too hard.

Yeah .. drone flyers shouldn't be expected to understand how their drones work and fly accordingly.
It's just too hard.
Yeah, exactly. They should know how they work and be able to push the boundaries. And they should be able to make choices that are SAFER that relying on the inbuilt programming for amateurs, in challenging situations. Like how a race car driver pushes the boundaries. Or I suppose they don’t know how their cars work and crash because of it.

Yes, unexpected things go wrong and there are certainly circumstances where someone inadvertently gets into a low battery emergency. When that happens, the pilot in command makes his own decisions on how to respond. Stretching the fight and use every bit of the battery capacity to get home is definitely a valid approach.

But it's a different thing to deliberately create a bad situation by flying the drone to a near-zero battery state of charge. Choosing to intentionally and routinely fly the drone to 0% battery charge is in no way safer.

This one is going to be on the test.

Question:
  • Pilot in command flies for 30+ minutes, ignoring the steadily decreasing battery level shown onscreen.
  • PIC maneuvers the drone too far away to return home safely.
  • PIC attempts to fly the drone home rather than choosing a safe remote landing area.
  • Drone automatically executes a low-battery landing, as described in the manual.
  • Drone lands under control but slowly sinks into a fresh, steaming, semi-liquid cow patty and uses its last milliamps of current to fry its circuitry. Puff of grey smoke drifts downwind. Cow moos.
Who or what is responsible?

Answer:

1) Pilot in command
2) Low-battery emergency landing system
3) Cow
Flying till you don't have enough battery to get home is different than initiating a forced landing when you do have enough battery to get home. You seem to want to change the subject.

Yes, unexpected things go wrong and there are certainly circumstances where someone inadvertently gets into a low battery emergency. When that happens, the pilot in command makes his own decisions on how to respond. Stretching the fight and use every bit of the battery capacity to get home is definitely a valid approach.

But it's a different thing to deliberately create a bad situation by flying the drone to a near-zero battery state of charge. Choosing to intentionally and routinely fly the drone to 0% battery charge is in no way safer.
Yep! Agreed. But once that’s made clear, as with any other questions on this forum, be nice to see people just be helpful!

Flying till you don't have enough battery to get home is different than initiating a forced landing when you do have enough battery to get home. You seem to want to change the subject.
I have recently watched two videos which seemed legit where Mini 4 Pro's were flown home and were landed/semi crashed at 0% battery. The operators were still able to maneuver the drones toward home point. This while the drones were in forced landing mode. The OP wants to obliterate the forced landing mode totally, which will make the drone fly happily until it shuts down motors in mid flight in the sky. (And he calls the engineers who designed the forced landing capability stupid/less intelligent than 'advanced drone pilots'. ) To me, and many others this seems counter productive, for many reasons as duly stated.
The counter arguments are valid, based on logic and experience and not simply 'because it's a rule.' I myself have gained very valuable knowledge in a very short time on this forum thanks to the 'limit pushers' on this forum. If I can save my drone with knowledge gained by someone who was prepared to sacrifice his drone on my behalf then it's a win-win situation. (We do not have the luxury of Care Refresh/fly away replacement where I live, if you lose it you cough up for a new one or move on to the next hobby.)

You got my VOTE to CLOSE THE THREAD, for whatever reason it turned really Ugly.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in tghe Rain.
So far this thread has been both pretty informative and amusing, (love the frog-jump maneuver), not nearly as ugly as most technically interesting threads hi-jacked by 'VLOS drone police' and other drone operators sitting on the law books behind their keyboards failing to understand that sometimes boundaries must be pushed to gain knowledge, albeit not a regular habit :)

The OP wants to obliterate the forced landing mode totally,
He only wants to do it for himself. Not force it on other people. I have no problem with that. I'm pretty sure the original mavic pro did not have forced landing, because I had one time when I couldn't make it back to the home point, but it never tried to do a forced landing. I landed it myself short of the home point, and after seeing a picture from google maps, of where it landed, a farmer recognized it and found it.

Reactions: Mynah
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying