DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disable Method 1 motor shutdown?

GordonWhite

Reactions
Dumb question #1: I am an RC plane flyer and this is my entry into drone flying so treat me gently :) I am quite wary of having Method 1 motor shutdown enabled as I am sure I will inadvertently shut it down. I cannot see how to disable it in Go4. Can anyone help this old guy out?

Welcome to the forum and the M2P.
It is my understanding that Method 1 is the best method for shutdown once landed. The only way to kill the motors in flight is with CSC or Method 2. I used Method 2 once to shutdown my Phantom and it flipped over. Have not used it since to stop the motors.

Method 1 only takes one hand so you can use the other hand to catch the M2P if you want to vs landing it.

Reactions: GordonWhite
Thanks for replying Greg, I have this fear of inadvertently holding LH stick down for > 3s and the thing being grabbed by 'Newton'. Have yet to fly it as in final weeks of leg in cast after breaking my Achilles tendon (long story - men and their sheds). Think it is wise that I get mobile before I try flying it as I live close to Gatwick, yes that Gatwick :-(). So head in the manual at present. Some links indicate that you can disable Method 1 but I cannot find it. Can Method one be activated at any height in flight, if activated will the drone shut motors down even in flight. I am sure I am reading it that way.

@GregD mentioned - hand to catch the M2P
I don't suggest this method until you have a few hours flight time. I will on occasionally hand catch. the props will cut and hurt a bit. OSHA probably wouldn't approve BUT. . . .
Here are links to a few ways to hand catch and the discussion that follows. IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

Hand catch – M2P
How to hand catch your Mavic 2 Pro – 49917
How to Hand Catch & Why - Mavic 2 Pro, Zoom, Air & Pro – Youtube
How to hand catch your Mavic 2 Pro - 49917
Safe and easy way to hand catch and takeoff with your Mavic 2 – Part 1 – 50533
Safest and most efficient way to hand launch and land your Mavic 2 – Part 2 – 55101
Mavic 2 hand takeoff and landing - Youtube

Thanks for replying Greg, I have this fear of inadvertently holding LH stick down for > 3s and the thing being grabbed by 'Newton'. Have yet to fly it as in final weeks of leg in cast after breaking my Achilles tendon (long story - men and their sheds). Think it is wise that I get mobile before I try flying it as I live close to Gatwick, yes that Gatwick :-(). So head in the manual at present. Some links indicate that you can disable Method 1 but I cannot find it. Can Method one be activated at any height in flight, if activated will the drone shut motors down even in flight. I am sure I am reading it that way.

According to the DJI manual page 58, the way to kill the motors in flight is with Method 2 or CSC. I do not believe Method 1 will shutdown the motors unless the M2P has landed. This may not be the case with older Mavic.

Hopefully, someone with much more experience can chime in.

Good luck with heal(heel)ing! And don't try hand catching unless you keep that cast handy! Enjoy your new drone when you are up and about.

Thanks for replying Greg, I have this fear of inadvertently holding LH stick down for > 3s and the thing being grabbed by 'Newton'. ... Can Method one be activated at any height in flight, if activated will the drone shut motors down even in flight. I am sure I am reading it that way.
If you are high enough you can hold the left stick down for 333 seconds and it still won't stop the motors until you have landed.
That's what the manual says and that's the way it works.
Hundreds of pilots have tested and confirmed this.
You can descend left stick full down and it WILL NOT stop the motors in flight.

If you are high enough you can hold the left stick down for 333 seconds and it still won't stop the motors until you have landed.

Thanks for confirming.

Many thanks Greg & Meta4 for taking the time to help. I am a cautious chap by nature and am so glad to have the support and help for my dumb questions, thanks for your patience.

Reactions: GregD
Now, find an open field to fly in and take your time. These Mavic 2 Pro's are very easy to fly. Enjoy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty