DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Displaying Images for Sale

Hiwayman

Reactions
Guys
I am fortunate to sell a few of my drone images that I post on Facebook.... However, I regularly get asked if I have pictures of a specific location....which I often do have.
My dilemma is how to make them available to view....do I downscale lots of pictures to email...in the hope that one is chosen and purchased...??
Is there a simple method of setting up a gallery???
Any thoughts appreciated...?

Guys
I am fortunate to sell a few of my drone images that I post on Facebook.... However, I regularly get asked if I have pictures of a specific location....which I often do have.
My dilemma is how to make them available to view....do I downscale lots of pictures to email...in the hope that one is chosen and purchased...??
Not that I would know very much about it, but I feel like if you were to mail them in a way in which they can be copy and pasted, well, in terms of the way a not very morally correct person might see it, what need is there to buy them from you when they could just take advantage of you? By no means am I suggesting I see it that way, but there is always the chance someone might.

Guys
Try a subscription to Smug Mug. They provide templates, pricing structure, privacy settings, etc. Here is my site for example
www.daledavisphotography.smugmug.com

I also use Smugmug. Lots of options, flexible settings, customizations and plans to choose from. Can’t speak to selling images as I do not sell any of my images.

Chris

Guys
Are you a "rec" or "commercial" flyer? Some technicalities may exist if only a "rec" flyer depending on UK rules.

Otherwise watermark all photos (maybe in the middle). Some people put a lot of watermarks across the pic to keep people from printing on their own. Posting to FB / Social Media really downsizes a photo; so it may look good on a phone / computer monitor - but when printing will not look good. I also downsize my photos before posting them on social media as a safeguard as well.

Reactions: Hiwayman
Not that I would know very much about it, but I feel like if you were to mail them in a way in which they can be copy and pasted, well, in terms of the way a not very morally correct person might see it, what need is there to buy them from you when they could just take advantage of you? By no means am I suggesting I see it that way, but there is always the chance someone might.
I could do that...but I'm looking for a way to make images visible in a gallery perhaps???

Are you a "rec" or "commercial" flyer? Some technicalities may exist if only a "rec" flyer depending on UK rules.

Otherwise watermark all photos (maybe in the middle). Some people put a lot of watermarks across the pic to keep people from printing on their own. Posting to FB / Social Media really downsizes a photo; so it may look good on a phone / computer monitor - but when printing will not look good. I also downsize my photos before posting them on social media as a safeguard as well.
Commercial flyer...but our rules have changed this year..?

Thank you Dale...I may end up somewhere like Smug Mug ?... great pictures.. thank you for your link ?
Smug Mug has settings to prevent theft. You can down size the resolution so that the print is actually a pixelated piece of junk. They have all sorts of settings for privacy, theft prevention, etc. Also have a look at another similar company Square Space. www.squarespace.com
I have been using Smug Mug for many years, all photos for sale, but have never sold a penny's worth. I use the web space on my business card while I travel and it helps me keep in touch with fellow travelers at lodges, etc. Better than searching for a pencil and paper. It is a nominal yearly charge which I can easily afford.

Dale

Though there are a number of options for displaying your work via a web site, Smugmug has been around for a long time and offers all sorts of options to you, including a sort of on-line shop for you to sell through.

Last edited:
Try a subscription to Smug Mug. They provide templates, pricing structure, privacy settings, etc. Here is my site for example
Some nice images Dale. Been to many of the same places you have, over the years. You might like to correct your name for Lake Bled in several images, you have it showing Lake Bleb.

Wow! You're a real photographer! However, I am able to copy your pictures from Smug Mug. This is my favorite so far, great work.
i-RZ8LMpc-XL.jpg

Have a look at Pixieset (I'll call is PS for brevity).

Using PS I create the gallery, set the price, and then I can either have them email a link directly to my client or I can email myself. The images are automatically WaterMarked on the gallery and low resolution to prevent (discourage) the Copy & Save crowd. If someone buys the image(s) the system automatically send them a download link for the HighRes images w/o watermark. All of the "heavy lifting" is done by the website and I'm making $$ while I'm asleep.

Have a look at Pixieset (I'll call is PS for brevity).

Using PS I create the gallery, set the price, and then I can either have them email a link directly to my client or I can email myself. The images are automatically WaterMarked on the gallery and low resolution to prevent (discourage) the Copy & Save crowd. If someone buys the image(s) the system automatically send them a download link for the HighRes images w/o watermark. All of the "heavy lifting" is done by the website and I'm making $$ while I'm asleep.
Thank you....liking the look of Pixieset ?

Reactions: BigAl07
Wow! You're a real photographer! However, I am able to copy your pictures from Smug Mug. This is my favorite so far, great work.
i-RZ8LMpc-XL.jpg

It IS only 165kb though, not much someone can do with that, might print a very small photograph, but would make even a poor desktop background on a computer screen.

If someone pays to buy it, they would get the original resolution photo I am sure.

Nice Dale, I see your Bhutan pics, brought back some great memories there of a 2012 trip.
Bhutan was still largely new to tavellers then too.
Taktsang was awesome, but so too were the many other such we visited over 10 days (cultural tour).

You travelled there from Kathmandu ?
Can't recall if DRUK fly to Bhutan from other places directly.
I would like to go back there for some walking in their part of the Himalaya.

Seeing your Everest base camp pics.
We had spent 40 + days in Nepal as well, trekked to Kangchenjunga north and south base camps, so remote and very few visitors.

Loved the region.

It IS only 165kb though, not much someone can do with that, might print a very small photograph, but would make even a poor desktop background on a computer screen.

If someone pays to buy it, they would get the original resolution photo I am sure.
Makes sense.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan