DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Divorce is inevitable, MM and me

At ground level it is calm as the wind altitude map shows. You can argue that it was calm as much as you like but we can only go on data. It's calm on my driveway right now but the big tall trees nearby are swinging around making it look 20+mph

also you're flying in a very flat area so ground level may be fine but higher could be anything.

I guess what I am saying is the the "data" says it was windy, but my feelings on the day is that it was mild/slight breeze, do you think anything on the drone could be faulty causing "shaking" or false readings regarding wind velocity? I am not familiar with how Airdata calculates wind velocity.

Reactions: RodPad
I agree with you, but "one should be very careful flying at high altitudes (mountains) or descending while going forward at max speed to a halt."
A really don't think any location is going make anything safe or safer.
Yeah something is wrong with it.

@sar104,
There is a new link for the flight log.

Rod

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. It really doesn't look like a wind issue, despite Airdata's computed wind speeds. The aircraft tilt wasn't excessive when stationary. It does look like another uncommanded descent problem starting at 660 seconds:

Climb_1.png

Looking at the attitude data, this one was also triggered by a largish pitch excursion when the elevator was centered from full forwards that then led to a period of descent with pitch and roll instability:

Pitch.png

I've now seen 5 or 6 very similar events with the Mini. As I mentioned in another thread - it reminds me of VRS. Either way - it's clearly a problem with the Mini, either firmware or hardware.

Reactions: RodPad and Thomas B
I unashamedly had to google VRS but could the stick actions at 11min 6sec ish have had any impact to this. Full stick UP and Rotate counter clockwise at the same time/

I unashamedly had to google VRS but could the stick actions at 11min 6sec ish have had any impact to this. Full stick UP and Rotate counter clockwise at the same time/

That's possible. VRS is usually triggered by descending directly into disturbed, descending air, but sudden attitude changes might have an effect too. It's only a tentative hypothesis at this stage, however. I still haven't seen a DAT file for one of these events to examine the actual motor data.

Wow guys, I feel like an innocent man again. I have always believed the weather conditions were good for flying. I have to say at 11.6 seconds into the flight I was focused totally on the drone that was going underwater, the slight counterclockwise stick movements were unintentional. I have published what DJI have said in their email to me, they are still holding the drone as I have requested further information from DJI technical., but I can't wait to hear what their conclusions are now.

Thanks for your input @chriscuk . Paid Airdata acc is something we lack. No one knows as of how windy it was in the air. We can just rely on historical data. Anyway it's good to know what happened. If OP wants to part now he is well informed.

The thing is it WAS windy but at the same time my mini didn't just fall out of the sky when it was in greater winds. I've got photos of it holding steady at a funny angle in 20mph winds and whilst it was gusting more it was just getting battered around.

To me it looks like the pilot was flying too low over water knowing what we know about the downward sensors, strong gusts, downward stick caused a drop then stick movement to gain height and spin counter clockwise might have just been the final kick to it.

I've been lucky in the past that when I was playing before it gained height without stick input rather than dropped.

I think the mini still has a few bugs to iron out and people have mentioned a possibly new ESC on a later version.

Reactions: netsonic
The divorce is probably going to happen, DJI have not given me a choice, they say the drone is OK and want to return it to me. I would have been happier if they had found a fault and either repaired it or replaced it. To send it back to me, having had the experience I have had with it simply means I can't fly it.

I experienced a 27 foot drop with a complete failure to obey a throttle command, (IMHO I was flying around 30 foot above water when this occurred, it should be able to do that without an issue)

For me, if I put something in the air, I have to have control of it. Full Stop.

What I now have is some enlightened research about my flight and I will send that to them.

Thank you once again Guys for your research and comments.

David

Reactions: netsonic and RodPad
As a sugestion if you want, when you receive the drone back, fly it always in full speed, maybe the issue that you assumed will appear and the drone will fall off the sky, then the DJI definitely will change your drone

I talk bad about AirData

Divorce is inevitable, MM and me

I get a coupon in my email the same day.:rolleyes:

Rod, thank you for using Airdata!

Together, we just crossed a major milestone:

10,000,000 flights were uploaded to Airdata!

10mil-813x446.png

These were uploaded by 130,000 active accounts across 220 countries!
With a record of 34,500 flights in one day!

To celebrate and thank you, here is a very special coupon:

Upgrade now!

30% OFF Coupon: 10MILLION

Valid through January 31

This coupon is good with any HD 360 plan:​

- 30% off Monthly plans - up to 12 months off
- 30% off Yearly plans - 30% off 1 year
- 3 days only! Valid through January 31, 2020

Happy flying!

The Airdata UAV Team

Rod

Last edited:
Reactions: David2111
I guess I was lucky. I flew my MM for the first time during vacation in Anguilla and flew low over water without issues.

15 feet above take off point he has 20 mph wind?

Air Data
2m 05s
Elevation 4.5 meters 14.7 Feet
Home Distance 23 meters 75.5 feet
Wind 20 Mph

But it seems to holding very well, no stick movements and no drift

Flight Log
2m .05s
Elevation 14.8 Feet
Home Distance 72.9
Speed 0 Mph

Air Data
9m 5s
Elevation 18 meters 59 Feet
Home Distance 68 meters 223 Feet
Wind 23.5 Mph

But it seems to holding very well, no stick movements and no drift

Flight Log
9m 5s
Elevation 59.1 Feet.
Home Distance 222.7 Feet
Speed 0 Mph

Yeah my P3A would have troubles in ether of these cases, it would be drifting, it would not have a speed of zero.

If I did believe Air Data's Wind Data. Then the OP is not showing video he took that same day.
I would also be using my free account that came with Litchi, but I wasn't impressed before when there were Healthy Drones.

BTW, why are the showing results in meters, but the wind speeds in Mph?

20 Meters per hour, 0.01 Miles per hour
23.5 Meters per hour, 0.01 Miles per hour.

20 Kilometers per hour, 12.4 Miles per hour.
23.5 Kilometers per hour, 14.6 Miles per hour.

So what are we actually looking at for wind speeds?

Rod
I've had little issue flying my P3A in 20mph winds. It did give me a scare once flying over the gulf at high winds where I got an error prop obstruction/prop loose where I then thought it was a gonner. However my FPV was perfectly stable so I knew it couldn't be as serious as lost props. Likely an up or down draft helping/hindering props but not affecting flight that badly.

I have flown the mini over the water a lot of times and the sensor on the bottom has worked pretty good. If i get to close it seams to stop as if i was trying to land it. if i continue push the stick down it will stop fist for a few seconds then try and land but when testing it i was ready to throttle up so it would not land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope