DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI’s Answer to GPS problem

bkushner

Reactions
Adjust your controller antennas and fly in open area. Support is brutal. I mentioned that since the December firmware it’s taking a long time for the drone to acquire GPS.
80CE61B3-7ABD-4DD6-B6A4-D00EB3A3C9FC.png

... And they could tick you off & proceed to the next unlucky guy in need of help.

I'm pretty sure that's the first line support's most critical performance index ... how many they can tick off, not how many they actually have helped.

I think most of the time with DJI support you are dealing with folks that just have cut and paste snippets to send through email..... so they would first have to understand that your controller antennas aren't going to help the Mavic 3 find a GPS signal before they could send a response that was at all relevant.

Emailed support is a waste with this particular issue, the GPS problem on the Mavic 3 is pretty widespread so it will either be fixed in a update or by quietly fixing it in the hardware. Hopefully they will be able to sort it out in software for you in the near future.

Their tech support people are great.
Update the firmware is their one size fits all solution for everything.
When I checked in with them about a new drone which wouldn't start up and gave me this list of what sounded like serious hardware faults ...
i-vsWmTdt-XL.jpg

Their solution ... update firmware as it would fix bugs!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but who ever responded conflated loss of signal to GPS considerations, no?

IMO it is almost always better to CALL tech support as the English of those on the phone is far better than those answering emails. I have always had better luck on support phone calls than email. You can never surpass the quality of help when you're asking and getting answers in real time. If they don't understand at first you can clarify immediately and skip the frustration of email back and forth which often still doesn't provide answers after wasting the time writing and waiting for a response.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but who ever responded conflated loss of signal to GPS considerations, no?

IMO it is almost always better to CALL tech support as the English of those on the phone is far better than those answering emails. I have always had better luck on support phone calls than email. You can never surpass the quality of help when you're asking and getting answers in real time. If they don't understand at first you can clarify immediately and skip the frustration of email back and forth which often still doesn't provide answers after wasting the time writing and waiting for a response.
Their offshore contract call center employees aren’t any better either. They have a script and that’s all they do.

As of now, DJI hasn’t even acknowledged a GPS problem at all other than saying it works like it is supposed to.

Their offshore contract call center employees aren’t any better either. They have a script and that’s all they do.

As of now, DJI hasn’t even acknowledged a GPS problem at all other than saying it works like it is supposed to.
That has not been my experience. I've had quite good luck with phone calls.

Adjust your controller antennas and fly in open area. Support is brutal. I mentioned that since the December firmware it’s taking a long time for the drone to acquire GPS.
View attachment 142771
Wow. Just... wow. Here was my response (after telling me he hadn't seen ANYONE with this issue).Guy goes by "Ricky" - I

"Regarding GPS signals, we recommend that you calibrate the IMU and compass in the DJI FLY APP before takeoff.

If the above steps do not help, try to refresh the drone firmware via DJI Assistant 2 to avoid any firmware errors.

DJI Mavic 3 - Download Center - DJI"

So... refresh FW, or do a Compass and IMU Calibration. This is the "FIX" after I explained in great detail when it happened (Dec. 10 FW) What it's doing, and how many are affected (all as far as I am aware)

I have seen "Ricky" telling other customers THEY are the first ones to experience this. Not sure how that helps anyone.

And that's a reasonable response. Slow acquisition is annoying and inconvenient, and is unarguably a step backwards compared to their older products, and, unless they spec a max or nominal time, there's little basis for claiming a defect.

Not defending this behavior, just noting the main weakness in the complaint.

GPS works. The drone flies just fine after getting a fix. That's how DJI is gonna see it.

Wow. Just... wow. Here was my response (after telling me he hadn't seen ANYONE with this issue).Guy goes by "Ricky" - I

"Regarding GPS signals, we recommend that you calibrate the IMU and compass in the DJI FLY APP before takeoff.

If the above steps do not help, try to refresh the drone firmware via DJI Assistant 2 to avoid any firmware errors.

DJI Mavic 3 - Download Center - DJI"

So... refresh FW, or do a Compass and IMU Calibration. This is the "FIX" after I explained in great detail when it happened (Dec. 10 FW) What it's doing, and how many are affected (all as far as I am aware)

I have seen "Ricky" telling other customers THEY are the first ones to experience this. Not sure how that helps anyone.
Actually "Ricky" told me when I reported this to him that I was the first to report it as well.

They simply lie.

Actually "Ricky" told me when I reported this to him that I was the first to report it as well.

They simply lie
Ahh good ol' Ricky. How love despise him. He tried yet again to tell me there's nothing wrong with the fact that RC Pro won't support Quick Transfer because...

I can just use my phone to transfer photos. To which (again) replied.

I dont use a phone to do anything with Mavic 3. I bought the RC PRO primarily to fly and do my entire workflow without a phone.

How does that - transferring photos to my phone help me? (he seems to not understand that Quick Transfer's main benefits are for large video files, NOT photos which you can set to sync to YOUR PHONE automatically)

From page 31 of newest revision on the user Manual 1.4 put out a day after Quick Transfer was enabled:

⚠️ RC Pro cannot support Quick Transfer.

But thank heaven I can Quick Transfer photos to my phone. That solved my concern completely.

New video shows both the GPS issues and AirSense broken after the new update:

No way DJI bug tests their fw before release.

Their tech support people are great.
Update the firmware is their one size fits all solution for everything.
When I checked in with them about a new drone which wouldn't start up and gave me this list of what sounded like serious hardware faults ...
i-vsWmTdt-XL.jpg

Their solution ... update firmware as it would fix bugs!

I chuckled when I seen item #7, Aircraft missing parts. repairs required.

Must have been a quarter till five on a Friday when it rolled down the assembly line and they forgot to put some parts in there. :D

A FW refresh might fix that, don't you think ..?

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998