DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI 3E non nadir photos

Laggard

Reactions
Took thirty photos of a lot. All were nadir except six of them. I did not choose oblique (I don’t think). What’s the setting for this?

Last edited:
Took thirty photos of a lot. All were nadir except six of them. I did not choose oblique (I don’t think). What’s the setting for this?
Did they happen to be the last 6?

Pretty standard mapping mission with the usual “lawnmower “ pattern. Two other flights I flew had no issues.
Wind gust perhaps that upset the AC enough that the gimbal couldn't keep up with the pitch or yaw change? Just spitballing here sorry.

Wind gust perhaps that upset the AC enough that the gimbal couldn't keep up with the pitch or yaw change? Just spitballing here sorry.
I had this happen with a Phantom 4 Pro V2. It was a windy day and we all know that the higher you go, usually the higher the wind. My nadir images had a large mix of oblique images.

OP, this could be what happened to you.

Reactions: Laggard
Dude! You were right. It’s the last six that it takes one it’s completed it’s course, turns and heads to home.
If it is the last 6 it is Altitude Optimization.

When you do not use Ground Control Points you need to have some oblique images. If you don't have the oblique images, all of the popular photogrammetry software usually fails to calibrate the camera correctly with just nadir images. When the software does not calibrate the camera correctly, there will be a vertical shift, but horizontal accuracy will still be good.

Yeah, maps made easy doesn’t accept those non nadir images.
I am not sure of the requirements of the data you are gathering.
If you are expecting "survey grade data" keep these things in mind:

The M3E will need to receive corrections in from either a Base (DJI RTK Base, Emlid Base) setup on a known point or from a corrections service such as Trimble a state DOT or some of the other regional providers over NTRIP.
Once you are receiving corrections to get your absolute and thereby relative accuracy demnaded of your project keep in mind that if you only use nadir images you will get a vertical shift of your data. The altitude optimization feature where it takes a final line of images from the outside corner of your area and then flies inward gathering oblique images will help the various photogrammetry software correctly calibrate your camera.
You can also just use the other settings and gather all oblique images on the Multi-Orientation scheme with nadir and oblique to solve the vertical error.
Dont forget to add checkpoints. Without check points to "check" the accuracy you really don't know if the whole process and data outputs met thier goal and needed accuracy.

If your end data does not need verified absolute accuracy then just map away. Usually the relative accuracy comes out decent enough for most projects without the absolute accuracy from the RTK/PPK workflow, but I would still check with scale bars or even measuring known distances and comparing.

Don't forget Pix4D Discovery (Free) will let you process Step 1 for free and you can easily check your accuracies in the sparse point cloud.

Reactions: Laggard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones