DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji 4G dongles m3

It has something to do with how the cellular network allows or disallows the system to call home to China, i believe. I dont think it works on all of our networks. Ill try and purchase a couple of dongles in the new year and do some testing
Why would the cellular system have to contact China? Is China spying? Very strange. But thanks for the info. Maybe I'll contact DJI support. They say they're happy when I ask them questions!

I can confirm that the 4G dongle works perfectly in Australia.
Also, I was chatting with you a while back about whether or not I'd need a 4G dongle in my RC Pro or if I'd just need to hotspot it...
Turns out you don't need a 4G dongle in the RC Pro and hot spotting it works just fine but I'm usually just sitting on the couch using my home wifi anyway :)

The 4G dongle is so much fun!
Wow, that's good if it does not need a 2nd dongle for RC Pro, they should open it for NZ as well- we are just a few hours from Aussie ;)

One thing we should try to find out, is why it works in some countries, like China and Australia, and not in other countries, like New Zealand.
I tried every network SIM card here and it does not work for us here, even a few other guys bought it from AliExpress and failed to get it to work.

Why would the cellular system have to contact China? Is China spying? Very strange. But thanks for the info. Maybe I'll contact DJI support. They say they're happy when I ask them questions!
The dongle talks to the Dji servers in China to give the enhanced transmission.

The dongle talks to the Dji servers in China to give the enhanced transmission.
Have you talked to DJI customer service about this? I will, if it doesn't work for me. Pretty stupid if it has to contact DJI, for the cellular connection to work, IMO.

Have you talked to DJI customer service about this? I will, if it doesn't work for me. Pretty stupid if it has to contact DJI, for the cellular connection to work, IMO.
Yes I have many times and they say the same thing that it is not meant to work outside of China and they cannot tell me when it will be allowed to work in other countries. I also highlighted that the 4G was one of the big selling features to me and all they did was apologies. Face it, they advertised a feature that they thought would work but maybe due to restrictions it cannot, drone is still amazing without the dongle.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
So I tried the 4G dongle today again after many moons of having it sit in the RC Pro and I got a 4G connection, was very weak and showing in red but I flew the drone and while flying I turned the rc n1 around and I faced the other way so it drops signal, which it did - complete loss of RC Signal with a line across the signal bar in red and the video transmission was still going and drone still flying perfectly. So it seems that it now works - for how long I don't know. Maybe others should try and post feedback.

Reactions: shb
Yes I have many times and they say the same thing that it is not meant to work outside of China and they cannot tell me when it will be allowed to work in other countries. I also highlighted that the 4G was one of the big selling features to me and all they did was apologies. Face it, they advertised a feature that they thought would work but maybe due to restrictions it cannot, drone is still amazing without the dongle.
OK. That's good to know, even if it's bad news. Glad you got some cellular connection today. Hope it lasts, and even gets better.

I really do wonder what restrictions there may me on 4G control for the US, for example. Parrot’s AI is a 4G connected drone which seems to work fine in the US.

Yes, but isn’t connecting through China servers. I’m not sure it’s a legal thing but more a system/tech thing

I really do wonder what restrictions there may me on 4G control for the US, for example. Parrot’s AI is a 4G connected drone which seems to work fine in the US.
Well it seems to be working now for me, read my thread, I posted pictures of it working today after a few tests on Mavic 3 and Mini 3 Pro

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Wow, that's good if it does not need a 2nd dongle for RC Pro, they should open it for NZ as well- we are just a few hours from Aussie ;)
Yes, the second dongle for the RC Pro is to replace a phone, so hot spotting to a phone provides the necessary connectivity, obviating the need. With the RC-N1, no second dongle is necessary when using a connected cell phone as the device, so a hotspotted wifi only iPad should work as well.

Glad you got it working in NZ, too!
Maybe U.S. will be next. Not holding my breath!

Reactions: shb
This might be illegal in North America, but for testing purposes only, has anyone in the USA or Canada tried using a VPN through a server in China to make this work?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dtcexpress1