DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI and their low-quality drones (Spark, Mavic Air, Tello)

MiniPalourde

Reactions
Hello,

From what we've seen, DJI is the best RTF photography drone manufacturer there is at the moment. The Inspire, Phantom and Mavic Pro/Platinum series have been a HUGE success because they are so well built and quite simply surpass other drones specs.

However, I have remarked that DJI started releasing 'low-quality' drones in the last months.

First, we've had the Spark. A 400 US+ drone with a 10 minutes flight time, 1080p camera and horrible range. Anyone could buy a Phantom 3 standard, a very old and 'outdated' drone, for much cheaper. At first I thought that it was just a mistake, like all companies do.

However, they then released the Mavic Air, at almost the same cost than the Mavic Pro. It uses WIFI connection and users have been complaining all over the forums about range problems. On top of that, it has a much lower battery life. The camera is not good because it can't focus on the background and often makes up blurry edges, so you get a camera that does not even compete with the Spark's. At least it's very portable which is a very good thing, but it is clear that the Mavic Air does not compete in any way with the Mavic Pro.

Then, they released the Tello. A toy drone with no remote for 160 USD. Seriously? I could buy a Syma x5c-1 for 6 times less and have a RC with it. Tello is not cheap, it's not good, and it cannot go outside because it cannot handle wind.

Why are they doing this? They used to do 1000-4000 USD quality drones that surpassed every other aircraft and now they release low quality toys? Are they aiming for a different market?

This makes me think that the Mavic Pro 2 is not coming soon.

Hello,

From what we've seen, DJI is the best RTF photography drone manufacturer there is at the moment. The Inspire, Phantom and Mavic Pro/Platinum series have been a HUGE success because they are so well built and quite simply surpass other drones specs.

However, I have remarked that DJI started releasing 'low-quality' drones in the last months.

First, we've had the Spark. A 400 US+ drone with a 10 minutes flight time, 1080p camera and horrible range. Anyone could buy a Phantom 3 standard, a very old and 'outdated' drone, for much cheaper. At first I thought that it was just a mistake, like all companies do.

However, they then released the Mavic Air, at almost the same cost than the Mavic Pro. It uses WIFI connection and users have been complaining all over the forums about range problems. On top of that, it has a much lower battery life. The camera is not good because it can't focus on the background and often makes up blurry edges, so you get a camera that does not even compete with the Spark's. At least it's very portable which is a very good thing, but it is clear that the Mavic Air does not compete in any way with the Mavic Pro.

Then, they released the Tello. A toy drone with no remote for 160 USD. Seriously? I could buy a Syma x5c-1 for 6 times less and have a RC with it. Tello is not cheap, it's not good, and it cannot go outside because it cannot handle wind.

Why are they doing this? They used to do 1000-4000 USD quality drones that surpassed every other aircraft and now they release low quality toys? Are they aiming for a different market?

The Tello is made by Ryze, who partnered with DJI.

From the footage I have seen, Mavic Air's camera quality is fine, it might just be a few units that have poor image quality. As for the Spark, it is meant as an entry level drone for people with tight budgets that want a compact drone. You can get it for $399 with the controller included now.

I think that DJI is going to release a Mavic II in the near future that will be a significant upgrade from the Mavic Pro, which I currently own. However, I plan on getting the Autel Robotics EVO when it is released. I used to be an Autel owner and was very pleased with their product. Very high quality with great customer service. Autel might just be the competition DJI needs right now.

FWIW, I think the:

1. Mavic Pro should have been priced at $1499 and would have been if the No-Go-Pro Karma hadnt been announced
2. Spark should have been priced out-of-the-gate at $499 including controller, not $499 plus $150 + OTG cable
3. Mavic Air should have Occusync for the price.
4. Phantom 4 Pro is the best overall prosumer drone that's available on the market today, and the Mavic might be the best bang for the buck.

All that being said, I have found that DJI quality is top notch, not low quality. Some of their drones are overpriced for the features they possess (and lack), and some are worth their weight in gold. DJI products are rock solid from their top products down to the bottom of the line and they are built like tanks.

There is a difference between low quality and different feature sets. The different drones are not intended to "compete" with one another, but fill different market niches. DJI wants everyone to buy their drones.

The Tello is $99 and almost certainly intended to give people a taste of what the bigger/more expensive DJI drones can do in terms of flight control. It's marketed by Ryze, but it's pretty clear that DJI had a heavy hand in development. It doesn't fly well in wind because it's not intended to. From what I have seen, it has better flight characteristics than most any starter drone when used as in intended, indoors.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. They're still developing higher grade drones, but those things don't happen overnight, they tend to have a longer release cycle.

Reactions: Bergumbira
There is a difference between low quality and different feature sets. The different drones are not intended to "compete" with one another, but fill different market niches. DJI wants everyone to buy their drones.

They want to fill different markets, but what's the point of the Mavic Air per example? It's a Mavic Pro, but not as good.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. They're still developing higher grade drones, but those things don't happen overnight, they tend to have a longer release cycle.

Yep, I didn't buy those drones. I almost pre-ordered but I waited instead and saved a couple hundred bucks.

The different drones are not intended to "compete" with one another, but fill different market niches.

If I knew the Air was coming out 6 months after the Spark, I would never have bought a Spark. Sometimes DJI DOES compete with itself, and that makes some buyers angry when they slash the price of the prior product to sell the new, more expensive one ala Spark, now Mavic Air is the flavor of the day..

Reactions: Kilrah
The Tello is made by Ryze, who partnered with DJI.

From the footage I have seen, Mavic Air's camera quality is fine, it might just be a few units that have poor image quality. As for the Spark, it is meant as an entry level drone for people with tight budgets that want a compact drone. You can get it for $399 with the controller included now.

I think that DJI is going to release a Mavic II in the near future that will be a significant upgrade from the Mavic Pro, which I currently own. However, I plan on getting the Autel Robotics EVO when it is released. I used to be an Autel owner and was very pleased with their product. Very high quality with great customer service. Autel might just be the competition DJI needs right now.

I've always seen Autel as a cheap knock-off company but if they could represent competition that'd be great. I've heard that they have a better customer service, too. I think that they'll have to lower their prices though because no one's gonna buy their EVO for the same price as the Mavic.

They want to fill different markets, but what's the point of the Mavic Air per example? It's a Mavic Pro, but not as good.

It's marginally smaller and has some newer features. I personally wouldn't buy one, but there are people out there who would find it appealing. The concept of "not as good" is relative.
I guess when the Mavic Pro is replaced, that becomes the next step down in the line.

If I knew the Air was coming out 6 months after the Spark, I would never have bought a Spark. Sometimes DJI DOES compete with itself, and that makes some buyers angry when they slash the price of the prior product to sell the new, more expensive one ala Spark, now Mavic Air is the flavor of the day..

True, there's bound to be some overlap with the rate at which that have been releasing things lately - but in general I feel like they're trying to saturate every level of the market.

Reactions: Former Member
in general I feel like they're trying to saturate every level of the market.

I agree. But for me it's ok because they release a quality product. They have always been good quality birds, and that has remained consistent throughout their reign, or dominion. I dont like the way they do business or take care of their customers sometimes, but their products are durable.

Reactions: microlinux
Hello,

You are assuming they are all aimed at the same user. This is NOT the case. DJI are aiming at different targets and each of the drones has its own purpose.
I’m not going to break it down further as it’s been done time and again in these forums

Reactions: Slowcaptain
The Telos SPark and Mavic air are not built in the same factories. Open one up and look at the inferior quality inside. It goes beyond the features and the range they truly are inferior products brought out quickly to try and fill gaps in the market to keep anyone else from entering it. It will be interesting to see what they bring out at the NAB show as an update to the mavic and the Phantom 4...

Dumbest thread ever....mini do u even have a mavic air? Im guessing no....i have a pro and an air....i fly the air more...your argument is null....its about hitting different market segments, everyones pockets. Smart on dji....also where do u see all the wifi problems? Seems everywhere I look I see everybody has pretty good range including me I flew out to 14000 ft stock now that i have my 4hawks hd feed is comparable to my pro..... Autel is awesome, again do u have any of their products?

The Telos SPark and Mavic air are not built in the same factories. Open one up and look at the inferior quality inside. It goes beyond the features and the range they truly are inferior products brought out quickly to try and fill gaps in the market to keep anyone else from entering it. It will be interesting to see what they bring out at the NAB show as an update to the mavic and the Phantom 4...
Actually had an air open the other day fixed a broken leg for a buddy) quality is superb compares to my other dji drones.. what in the world are u smoking?

Attachments

• 20180312_093406.jpg
    20180312_093406.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 56
  • 20180312_093312.jpg
    20180312_093312.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 20180312_160953.jpg
    20180312_160953.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 55
nah, just a guy that buys a tello and wondering why its not as good as his Inspire 2

I don't want to sound insulting, and wouldn't want you to feel offended, but I said earlier that I do not own a Tello, nor a Spark, nor a Mavic Air. I am sorry that you misunderstood my entire post.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman