DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI announcing Flysafe-AirSense (ADS-B) What do you guys think?

So much disinformation regarding ADS-B in the US. Stop posting about topics you don't take the time to google and LEARN.

Facts:
ADS-B OUT will be mandatory in the US for all manned aircraft on Jan 1, 2020.

It is only required on aircraft with electrical systems (no tin gliders or old hand prop planes like the Cub)

It is only required where transponders are required which is called controlled airspace.

Only ADS-B OUT is required. ADS-B IN is not required.

I own an airplane and a gyrocopter. My gyrocopter is new and cost me $85,000 but I don't have a transponder or ADS-B. Why not. I never fly into controlled airspace and since all planes aren't required to have the system, every pilot still needs to follow the age old principle "eyes outside" when flying. I fly my gyro between zero and 500ft AGL and mostly at 200ft. I might add a transponder and ADS-B after the prices drop next year

View attachment 73431

View attachment 73432
Class G @2-500' AGL, welcome to the drone neighborhood!

ADS-B has been mandatory in Europe and Oceania at least for a long time, for some reason the US resisted and used another system with a long delay built in. Airbus has always had it, Boeing now installs it on later models. In the UK, with FR24 on my phone, I see many light aircraft, gliders even, seems every darned helicopter. Military all have it but are permitted to suppress it on mission, when flying in normal domestic airspace it’s left on. Having it on the drone seems a great idea, it would stop things like the Gatwick airport fiasco and after you’ve lost your drone you have another track record to help you find it. Battery drain is tiny, it spits out a few millisecond sentence at intervals. I would like to see it mandated on drones of more than, say, 1Kg, doing that would cut out all the goons who currently infringe their flight envelopes and give us a bad name.

Unfortunately the statement about ADS-B being mandatory in Europe isn’t quite true. Large aircraft (above 5700kg) flying as CAT (Commercial Air Transport), in IFR airspace (above FL195 I think) have indeed had to have ADS-B out equipment fitted for a few years. However there currently isn’t a mandate in Europe for this to extend this to smaller General Aviation aircraft and equippage of suitable equipment has been quite low on percentage terms.

As others have said an ADS-B receiver is simple to build and inclusion within DJIs systems would be easy. ADS-B our however would be far harder (if not impossible to achieve). Within the ADS-B regulations (DO-260B and in EASA land CS-ACNS) are a bunch of rules regarding the accuracy (and integrity levels) of the GPS receiver providing the position source to the ADS-B our transponder. Non- aviation certified units (those without a TSO - technical standard order) are considered the least accurate and are set to the lowest GPS source integrity level (look up SIL and SDA for ADS-B if you want to know more as it gets mighty complex).

Certified systems (receiving transponders compliant with DO-260B), as would be fitted in aircraft, are,by design, programmed to ignore the lowest integrity level signals and NOT display them (on the basis that’s potentially erroneous position report is worse than See and Avoid) ... so any ADS-B our signal from a drone would immediately get ignored by an aircrafts transponder.

There is also the question of transmit power, battery life, interference etc. Quite apart from the fact that ADS-B works on an extended section of the Mode S datalink (and this requires Hex IDs, aircraft registrations etc) which isn’t on the cards YET for drones)

ADS-B in would be the best we could hope for I think and even then a poor uptake of ‘Out’ devices equippage in general aviation certainly doesn’t make it a great solution.

Obviously the FC is only going to be interested in nearby aircraft that might conflict. How it deals with it will probably depend on the situation. An estimated collision course warning that is ignored by the pilot will probably trigger descent rather than landing.
Should be pretty easy to filter out irrelevant aircraft. FR24 shows tons of air traffic in my area (southern NJ), until I apply a simple filter to show only the aircraft below 1000'.

Reactions: sar104
  • It shows aircraft & distance (no altitude nor speed)
  • It does not differentiate between helicopters & airplanes.
  • It does give a nice red warning when aircraft gets relatively close.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Let me guess, the red warning says "Brace yourself for improbable impact!"

Strange that they would exclude altitude from the system. Why does any drone operator need to take action if an airliner flies overhead at 30,000 feet?

THIS STATEMENT BASED ON RUMORS AND MA2 LEAKS
TWO VERSIONS OF MAVIC AIR 2 *ADS-B (EQUIPPED)
*ADS-B (NON EQUIPPED)

That is all, Carry - on!

This is an almost total solution to some aspects of drone safety and illegal flying. ADS-B has been pretty much universal on all aircraft in the EU, Australia and NZ, for some reason the USA has dragged its heels over it, even Boeing. I have yet to see an aircraft In the UK that didn’t appear on FR24, even gliders, ultralights and airport ground vehicles. Military aircraft have it turned on unless on a covert mission. I suspect that, in time, it will become mandatory on all drones. Personally, I would welcome that.
If some miscreant really wanted to close Gatwick airport using a drone I suppose they could still disable the ADS-B but that would add another charge on top of the incursion when investigators caught up. Ideally, disabling the ADS-B would disable the whole drone in some way that could not be worked around. Sloppy or illegal drone pilots give the rest of us a bad name; knowing that their track is being recorded might just cause the cowboys to smarten up or leave the game.

Reactions: Texbow
This is an almost total solution to some aspects of drone safety and illegal flying. ADS-B has been pretty much universal on all aircraft in the EU, Australia and NZ, for some reason the USA has dragged its heels over it, even Boeing. I have yet to see an aircraft In the UK that didn’t appear on FR24, even gliders, ultralights and airport ground vehicles. Military aircraft have it turned on unless on a covert mission. I suspect that, in time, it will become mandatory on all drones. Personally, I would welcome that.
If some miscreant really wanted to close Gatwick airport using a drone I suppose they could still disable the ADS-B but that would add another charge on top of the incursion when investigators caught up. Ideally, disabling the ADS-B would disable the whole drone in some way that could not be worked around. Sloppy or illegal drone pilots give the rest of us a bad name; knowing that their track is being recorded might just cause the cowboys to smarten up or leave the game.

AirSense is just ADS-B "In", so the drone operator can be aware of nearby aircraft. It doesn't transmit your drone's location via ADS-B.

Further details are on DJI's website here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

How ever they track aircraft in the Flightradar24 app (free) if applied to drones looks like a good solution. I assume the app gets data supplied by the aircraft and nothing that seems to be sensitive. In the app it gives the aircrafts post flight path, flight number etc. For a drone I could see it providing FAA number but not personal information like pilot name etc. FAA could track via the registered number if violation was to happen.

How ever they track aircraft in the Flightradar24 app (free) if applied to drones looks like a good solution. I assume the app gets data supplied by the aircraft and nothing that seems to be sensitive. In the app it gives the aircrafts post flight path, flight number etc. For a drone I could see it providing FAA number but not personal information like pilot name etc. FAA could track via the registered number if violation was to happen.

FlightRadar24 uses an ADS-B transmitter (aka "ADS-B out") on the aircraft, which is picked up by ground stations. The FAA has said that they don't want drones sending ADS-B signals because it would overwhelm that system.

FlightRadar24 uses an ADS-B transmitter (aka "ADS-B out") on the aircraft, which is picked up by ground stations. The FAA has said that they don't want drones sending ADS-B signals because it would overwhelm that system.

I can see that happening.

So a year ago they were saying that this would be standard on all drones above 250g... does anyone know for sure if this is included in the new Mavic Air 2? That little feature might help tip the scales a little in the Air2's favour for being my next drone.

Hmmm. Disappointing. ADS-B in the drone would be good. We can already see aircraft, but on a seperate app. Not a big leap to add it onto the flying app.

If you are referring to separate apps like FlightRadar24, those kinds of apps depend on volunteers running ADS-B receivers near your location. (which isn't always the case, especially in less populated areas) There also can be a delay in the reported aircraft's position with those apps, since the data is getting uploaded to the internet, processed, and then pushed back out to your app. Putting the ADS-B receiver directly in the drone (like with DJI's AirSense) is an improvement, and the integration directly into the DJI Fly app also allows for better, more relevant warnings to drone operators.

Reactions: sar104
I hope it comes in a FW for the Mavic Pro.
Don't see how without the hardware in the drone unless you use an extenal bluetooth third party ads-b receiver connected to your mobile phone that is connected via usb to your controller and if DJI will bother to write the extra code to support that which I don't think you must do it yourself but either way you need a ads-b receiver unless you leave mobile internet on and also write software for flight data aquired from online resouce like flight radar. Well get on with it you have some coding to do it won't happen by itself.

Yea a bunch of toys gumming up the works.

Ask DJI but you can't climb that fast or high in DJI drone anyway so your supposed to look out yourself, maybe if you were not flying such a toyish drone that actually was licensed to fly far and high they would of added the extra line of info. Still maybe if enough people petition DJI about it they will include in the next update.

Ask DJI but you can't climb that fast or high in DJI drone anyway so your supposed to look out yourself, maybe if you were not flying such a toyish drone that actually was licensed to fly far and high they would of added the extra line of info. Still maybe if enough people petition DJI about it they will include in the next update.
No he means , It might say there an aircraft just .5 miles away but as we are mandated to 400ft, if we could see the altitude of ther manned and it was at 30.000ft we'd know there was no need to panic .

As a side note , im in the uk and this isnt something we get, does anyone know if we are likey to get it in the future?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000