DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Ban Questions

RexAsh

Reactions
I am doing a project for school about why we shouldn’t immediately ban DJI drones and wanted to interview people affected as a part of the project. It would be great if some people could answer these interview questions, it would help me tons! Thanks so much!

1: How do you feel the ban would affect emergency services (such as wildfire fighting and fire fighting) overall?

2: do you think a suitable replacement drone company (servicing both commercial and consumer) will become readily available?

3: How do you feel the ban would affect hobbyists and small businesses?

4: do you think it is ok for the government to ban DJI drones?

5: What is your view on a timed ban on DJI drones?

6: Do you think the security threats are serious, and do you think there should even be a ban?

1: It would have a huge impact as DJI drones are very widely used.
2:No. There is no US company that can come close to production levels, cost and function.
3:It would devastate this market (see #2)
4:No.
5 Don't know what you mean by 'timed' ban but there should be no ban.
6: No. This is being pushed by US drone industry using a false narrative of fear, paranoia and the usual anti Chinese line.

In my opinion, other opinions may vary :)

Big can of worms you got there LOL
1. Emergency services was dealt a blow to their budgets by applying for and receiving funds from their states that were earmarked for the purchase of DJI Drones. After these services spent their money (along with the states money) The government who provided the funds for the drones purchased, actually Banned the very tool they were urging those services to buy.
2. readily available NO but soon after BUT at a MUCH higher cost to the consumers. ( there just is NO WAY to produce electronics in the U.S. and compete with pricing.
3. It will of course effect the hobbyist Camera drone flyer But really will have little effect on the FPV or Racing side of the hobby. Unless the government bans importation of all drone parts from china.
4. If the government had good reason to ban these drones I would agree with them. BUT the excuses they are giving for the ban are pure fantasy.
5. By timed do you mean Phase-out It would never work -Once DJI stops updating firmware for these banned drones Hackers and Dronies everywhere will be flying them. Ban or not.
6. Could not say it any better than:
No. This is being pushed by US drone industry using a false narrative of fear, paranoia and the usual anti Chinese line.

Last edited:
Since you are a student do some research into McCarthyism and see if you can draw any parallels with this antiPRC fanaticism that has seized our lawmakers.

While you are at it research why our government allowed our corporations to offshore so much of our manufacturing capability to maximize their profit margins. Those same corporations now cry that they are unable to compete against offshore manufacturing. Can anyone else see the conundrum here?

I agree with all the answers KBF posted. The entire anti-Chinese thing is ridiculous. What about everything else with cameras on that are made in China. How about dashcams, doorbell cams, computers, phones, and on and on. It all goes along with the "be very afraid" thing, and everybody's out to get you BS. I'm the only one who can save you, believe me! But you get my point, it's the same line we were told back in the 70's when Japan was eating out lunch. But then we adjusted and learned how to match them and get along, and consumers were better off for it.

I agree with all the answers KBF posted. The entire anti-Chinese thing is ridiculous. What about everything else with cameras on that are made in China. How about dashcams, doorbell cams, computers, phones, and on and on. It all goes along with the "be very afraid" thing, and everybody's out to get you BS. I'm the only one who can save you, believe me! But you get my point, it's the same line we were told back in the 70's when Japan was eating out lunch. But then we adjusted and learned how to match them and get along, and consumers were better off for it.

Interesting podcast about Toyota trying to help GM become effective and efficient. Failed miserably. 😂

I am doing a project for school about why we shouldn’t immediately ban DJI drones and wanted to interview people affected as a part of the project. It would be great if some people could answer these interview questions, it would help me tons! Thanks so much!

1: How do you feel the ban would affect emergency services (such as wildfire fighting and fire fighting) overall?
This would absolutely decimate First Responder Fleets. There are no comparable non-Chinese drones available for them.
2: do you think a suitable replacement drone company (servicing both commercial and consumer) will become readily available?
With luck, maybe 5-8 years. We not only lack a well designed or built comparable replacement, even if we had one, we lack the manufacturing capabilities to make them.
In a recent study by the Drone Advocacy Alliance (Drone Advocacy Alliance - Home), we found that 67% of all drone businesses would fail if we were forbidden from using Chinese made drones.
100% no. There is no reason at all.
5: What is your view on a timed ban on DJI drones?
In a recent webinar, Michael Robbins (Co-CEO of AUVSI) said that a transition is not a ban. That is also 100% false. Not only is it a ban at the time when the rule goes into affect, it's basically an immediate ban. Not company of gov't agency (federal, state, or local) will spend 1000s of dollars on a drone program knowing full well that in 2 or 3 years or so they'll have to spend it all over again.

A transition is NOT the answer.
6: Do you think the security threats are serious, and do you think there should even be a ban?
No, they aren't. There is no evidence of any issue. Every single bill and proposed bill is worded to say that the threat is possible, not real. And a country of origin ban wouldn't even address the issue if it did exist. Any drone that is connected to the internet is hackable. And all of these supposed blue drones do connect to the internet.

The only way to truly address this issue is to have the gov't establish a set of true cybersecurity protocols for any drone used in areas with security concerns. And then mandate that those protocols are followed, regardless of where the drone was built. Also, we need to define what actual areas where security concerns exist. Many of these bills are so poorly written, it would prevent drones from flying in our own backyards if we have power lines in them.

The entirety of this mess is predicated on the current anti-China fervor in politics, and spread by unscrupulous US drone manufacturers (specifically Skydio, BRINC, and Teal) who can't compete with DJI or Autel any other way. They buy their way into congressional offices and state houses to spread their lies.

And they have organizations like AUVSI actively pushing their agenda too.

These companies and AUVSI don't care about the U.S. drone industry (especially First Responder Agencies), they only care about their bottom line.

If importation of DJI products is prohibited .. should this also apply to other electronics manufactured in China?
How about Tesla and Apple?

Reactions: Jurgen
For drones ( and most electronic equipment ) to be affordable, they have to be manufactured elsewhere.....other low cost labor markets that could be explored are Thailand, Viet Nam, Taiwan.....There are really no more American electronic Companies ( if there are, they are few )...This move by the gov't could be the push that American Companies should leverage to become factors in the drone industry and other electronic sectors again.
If importation of DJI products is prohibited .. should this also apply to other electronics manufactured in China?
GREAT point 👍

While this does not respond directly to any of your questions, this may well be something to consider. An outright ban on so many products already in the marketplace would likely be considered a violation of the takings clause of the Fifth Amendment. Without funding for a massive and extremely expensive buyback program, I don’t believe such legislation is feasible.

Reactions: ScottTX

I'm a Search and Rescue Pilot for the local EMS. We use DJI drones and at the Time of this answer, Kentucky has no restrictions on DJI Drones.

Not in the near future.

I don't think a DJI Ban will happen, the current Bill in Congress is only at 1%

Of course not, it is Government overreach.

5: What is your view on a timed ban on DJI drones? SEE # 3

Newer DJI Drones don't use WiFi anyway. So no there is no real threat to National Security

Reactions: mavic3usa
I wonder if DJI could circumnavigate such a "ban" By selling their Drones in Kit form?
If you send me a box of parts Its not manufactured in China is it?
Then again..I guess DJI would have to open source the Drones so they are not dependent on some "App" you have to download to fly..... Once it's put together.

Reactions: Art Cox
The Android versions of the DJI Fly App is not available on either the Apple app store or and Samsung sites. It's downloaded directly from DJI as an apk for installation on an Android device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KBF
The app will likely be taken down too.
Yes But if they open sourced their drones you would not need an app just a receiver compatible with your transmitter and a set of googles or monitor compatible with your choice of VTX- ( DJI, HD Zero, or Walksnail. No app. No account, Just buy - configure and Fly.

Reactions: KBF
I wonder if DJI could circumnavigate such a "ban" By selling their Drones in Kit form?
If you send me a box of parts Its not manufactured in China is it?
Then again..I guess DJI would have to open source the Drones so they are not dependent on some "App" you have to download to fly..... Once it's put together.
I've heard they may attempt to rebrand and continue to try selling in the US

Reactions: sarahb
Keep politics out of it. Your post will be deleted.

Reactions: sarahb
Coincidentally, China restricts use of Apple I phones and Teslas due to "security concerns." I guess they are afraid these devices "phone home" to America.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrprop365 and AlanL
Tesla's data security became a hot topic in China last summer when an airport in Yueyang in Hunan province barred Tesla cars from entry, saying its "sentry mode," which allows owners to monitor their parked cars for suspicious activity and record the footage, could potentially expose sensitive information about the geography and landscape of the surrounding location.

Sounds familiar...

This is what a "ban" generally looks like in America. The government will go after anyone who uses the equipment, but not possession. Kinda like a high-powered laser pointer. It's the function that is prohibited, not the device. However, the government has more control over businesses where they can prohibit the sale, import, marketing, distribution, etc of the device itself. But they will never send a business to jail over those, just if a citizen uses one; that's where the arrests and the prison sentences and the violence are threatened.

If there ever becomes a DJI drone ban, I'll bet they go one step further and outlaw the possession of a DJI drone by anyone *and* I would almost bet there will be a defacto confiscation order.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav