DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI brand prop guards still the best option?

Ridgeback65

Reactions
My question isn't about protecting the drone but protecting people in situations when FAA requires guards. Apparently the $16 DJI branded ones were the only game in town but now it appears that there are 3rd party options--some more "cage" like. The DJI version is very, shall we say, minimalist. I realize guards in general affect performance, noise, etc. but if you HAVE to employ them what are the best options?

Where would the FAA require guards on the Air2s?
Great question as even if you put guards on an Air2s, being category 2 limits what you can and can't do over moving cars and public gatherings. It all seems pretty complex with the intertwining of regulations (remote ID not even available yet), but mostly, I'm just thinking in terms of safety measures when you are flying *near people--even people who are part of a production.

The FAA regulations for operation over people suggests a full prop cage, not just the regular prop guards. The props must be completely encased by the guards. Plus there's the kinetic energy requirements that may or may not require some kind of failsafe (such as a parachute system).

Reactions: Ridgeback65
The FAA regulations for operation over people suggests a full prop cage, not just the regular prop guards. The props must be completely encased by the guards. Plus there's the kinetic energy requirements that may or may not require some kind of failsafe (such as a parachute system).
That's kinda what I was wondering about the DJI version as well. Not a lot of "practical" protection there at first glance.

Next year is going to be interesting with how all the rules shake out for guards, BVLOS, and ESPECIALLY Remote ID. They (manufacturers) don't even seem to have their kinetic energy test data to FAA or at least I can't find where FAA has it posted (yet).

On Amazon, these seem to be the most "cage" like available but even they have a lot of exposed area front and rear!

Then there's something like this but it is not available for the A2s.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
The FAA haven't even come up with remote ID specifications yet so I'm not sure how they are going to enforce the manufacturer's requirement in September until they get that hammered out.

The DJI ones were not in stock when I wanted to get them, so I went with one on Amazon with decent reviews. However, the rear mounts don't fit and I had to take a knife and carve out about 1mm out of the guard's latch opening, took about 5 minutes to do both of them, not a huge deal if you are comfortable with that. It does have 3 or 4 bars on the top, which I do like, but honestly, it's only going to help in minor bumps. I imagine it will shatter if the drone bumped into anything at more than walking speed.

Reactions: Ridgeback65
The DJI ones were not in stock when I wanted to get them, so I went with one on Amazon with decent reviews. However, the rear mounts don't fit and I had to take a knife and carve out about 1mm out of the guard's latch opening, took about 5 minutes to do both of them, not a huge deal if you are comfortable with that. It does have 3 or 4 bars on the top, which I do like, but honestly, it's only going to help in minor bumps. I imagine it will shatter if the drone bumped into anything at more than walking speed.
How is noise and overall flight performance and air time affected?

I always use guards on any drone except my minis (I had serious accendent 6 years ago with DJI clone 7 fingers got it since the natual thing to do was grab the drone..dumb) I just bougth these for my Mavic 3 however, they have a resonance at certain speeds that gets transfered to drone. Sending back waiting for DJI version I ordered from DJI Store I hope they will be better.

Resonance is something to look for on any type of guard . You dont want it transefered to the drone

STARTRC Mavic 3 Propeller Guard,Quick Release Removable Propellers Protector for DJI Mavic 3 Accessories

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy