DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI customer service

Seabee23

Reactions
New guy here, both to the forum, and to the drone world. I was a little shocked at DJI customer service yesterday. A little background first. I purchased a mini a little over a week ago. I do like the mini, but really wanted the air, but with everything going on with lock downs and unemployment, I just couldn’t justify the extra money at the time, but the air will be in my future. While saving some cash for the mini, I spent over a month watching countless YT videos on the mini. I had payed attention to all of the warnings with wind etc. On Tuesday, I was flying around. I was about 80 feet off the ground, and a couple hundred yards away over a small pond, looking for signs the bass might be starting to spawn. While hovering, I had the nightmare of the uncontrolled decent. Fortunately I didn’t panic, and while attempting to go full stick up with no result, it did let me move to the right, no longer over water. At about 40’, the decent stopped. I hadn’t been in sport mode, had 70% battery, and the wind was only blowing about 10mph. I kinda prepared myself for the “what if” scenario, which is why I stayed around the edge of the pond. So here is why I am a little irritated. When I called DJI, the rep said he hadn’t heard of this. He then put me on hold to check with his supervisor. When he returned, he claimed DJI was unaware of this problem, and that I needed to send in video of it. I told him all he needed to do was google for 5 seconds and he would see hundreds of the same problem. Is this something normal for DJI? I was under the impression they were a top notch company, or did I just get a bad rep. I’m still in the return window, but like I said, with everything going on, I’m going to keep it, I will just fly it with caution. After all, I have yet to find anything to take the stress of the virus away equal to flying a drone. Thanks.

Companies have to be very careful to what they admit to since it can lead to bad publicity and open them up more easily to legal action especially when the devices are out of warranty. At one point there were large batches of faulty capacitors that had a very short life and pretty much every PC fitted with them would fail and so consistently that when we got the first call at work a desktop had died we knew straight off it was the faulty caps and within two days we'd usually have around 14-15 more. In total we had 300-400 desktops that failed over a few months and we'd be phoning in around 20 at a time yet Dell played dumb every single time forcing us to go through the whole diagnostics routine for every PC.

Reactions: Seabee23
Never admit guilt is not an uncommon thought. An attorney friend once said, “ I had a great case, until he opened his mouth.”
Most large companies know better than to help spread that type of information. Do a bit of research on this altitude drop issue to see all the differing thoughts and how some have solved the problem.

It's amazing what problems can happen when just one little part is bad. My brother used to make MIDI devices for a relatively large electronics firm and the company they sold to wanted to undercut a competing companies prices so they asked my brother to look for better deals on parts. My brother came up with a few parts that he could find cheaper elsewhere and against his advice they told him to use them. The failure rate of one particular product (he refused to use it all the products) went from something like 1 out of a thousand to 1 out of a 100. It was all due to the changing of one part. Luckily he had limited it to one product out of ten so therefore limited the damage, but an old motto comes to mind, "You get what you pay for". I hope DJI did not do this to lighten and cheapen their product.

Never admit guilt is not an uncommon thought. An attorney friend once said, “ I had a great case, until he opened his mouth.”
Most large companies know better than to help spread that type of information. Do a bit of research on this altitude drop issue to see all the differing thoughts and how some have solved the problem.
I haven't actually found any posts about how anyone has solved this problem.
Can you please post a link.

I’ll do some digging. Some are thinking it has an improvement by changing the rear propellers.(among other things)

Some info here.

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one