DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI firmware update. When?

hroberts

Reactions
Autopilot does not work with the current firmware, as you probably know. When is DJI going to fix it?

It is not DJI that needs to fix anything, it is up to the developers that use the DJI SDK that build third party apps.

It is not DJI that needs to fix anything, it is up to the developers that use the DJI SDK that build third party apps.

That is different then what the developer say. The SDK is just an API to the firmware.

That is different then what the developer say. The SDK is just an API to the firmware.
I agree. Both Autopilot and Litchi have stated that their apps are unstable *after* the firmware update to 0.500. I feel that if it was on the app side DJI would have told the devs how to code around this and we would have some fixes by now, but that hasn't happened either. It's hard to know where the truth lies with so little information, but I too would like to see this settled soon.

Reactions: Jussaguy
It's not only with the actual Mavic firmware, actual firmware of Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 Plus seems to be erratic, too.
Maybe that's the explanation why they need that much time for fixing, as they have to test with 3 different crafts...

Reactions: BCMoto
I'm on holiday/vacation in Cornwall and decided that even if the new firmware arrived in time I didn't want to risk it.

So I've followed several others here and downgraded to .400 and Litchi modes now all working fine again. I'd rather DJI took their time and got the .600 more fully tested before releasing it than rushing out something with more unforeseen problems.

A little more patience required I guess. Just happy to have focus mode back.

It's pretty clear from Autopilot and Litchi that this is a DJI problem that they can't work around. And they say that DJI is aware of it. Furthermore Autopilot has suggested that even the .400 version with the Mavic has issues too.

So we are stuck waiting for DJI.

Correct, this is DJI's issue and it's concerning that they have yet to issue a firmware fix. It's DJI themselves that opened up their API so third party developers could develop apps, and by association give their customers options (Autopilot, Litchi, etc). And now, they made a change that impacted the API in such a way that broke their third party developers applications and those that have purchased them. If DJI no longer wants third party developers then they should close the open API, otherwise they need to step up and fix this ASAP, a lot of their customers are sitting with wasted money on third party apps that they themselves allowed... sorry but horrible business, for their developers that made the investment and their customers who took advantage of the choices they allowed. Can you tell I'm tired of the delay? I'll bet if this impacted their own DJI GS Pro app it would be fixed by now.

No it's DJI not the 3rd party devs (iOS developer here). DJI introduced a bug into the SDK used by 3rd party apps recently. 3rd party apps are at the mercy of any changes DJI to the firmware at anytime.

Not sure if Autopilot is fixed with the new firmware or not.

Correct, this is DJI's issue and it's concerning that they have yet to issue a firmware fix. It's DJI themselves that opened up their API so third party developers could develop apps, and by association give their customers options (Autopilot, Litchi, etc). And now, they made a change that impacted the API in such a way that broke their third party developers applications and those that have purchased them. If DJI no longer wants third party developers then they should close the open API, otherwise they need to step up and fix this ASAP, a lot of their customers are sitting with wasted money on third party apps that they themselves allowed... sorry but horrible business, for their developers that made the investment and their customers who took advantage of the choices they allowed. Can you tell I'm tired of the delay? I'll bet if this impacted their own DJI GS Pro app it would be fixed by now.
The best, most realistic and assertive analysis I've read so far.
As a front-end and web developer, I couldn't agree more.

Reactions: Bunny Too
On March 21, Litchi released an update that removes the features broken by DJI. This is 3.10.6. The release notes:

WHAT'S NEW
- Due to a bug in the DJI firmware, Follow, Focus, Track and VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking modes are no longer usable with the following drone models and firmware versions: Mavic Pro (v01.03.0500), Inspire 2 (v01.0.0240) and Phantom 4 Pro (v01.03.0418). If you are using one of these firmware versions and wish to continue using these flight modes, either downgrade to a previous firmware version using the DJI Assistant 2 or wait for DJI to release a new firmware that will fix this bug

On March 21, Litchi released an update that removes the features broken by DJI. This is 3.10.6. The release notes:

WHAT'S NEW
- Due to a bug in the DJI firmware, Follow, Focus, Track and VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking modes are no longer usable with the following drone models and firmware versions: Mavic Pro (v01.03.0500), Inspire 2 (v01.0.0240) and Phantom 4 Pro (v01.03.0418). If you are using one of these firmware versions and wish to continue using these flight modes, either downgrade to a previous firmware version using the DJI Assistant 2 or wait for DJI to release a new firmware that will fix this bug

Does the update actually remove the features? Or is that just an announcement telling you not to use the features?

I've been holding off buying Litchi because of the bugs in the firmware. But I'm really eager to try out VR FPV with my android VR headset. But if the features are blocked (preventing accidental use, and resulting crash) I'd go buy it now.

Yes the features are blocked. I didn't use those anyway so it was no big deal to me. I love litchi for Pano mode, orbit mode, waypoint mode and general flying. I don't see any reason to not buy it because of a firmware bug. There will always be firmware bugs - this is DJI we're talking about!

And there is a subtle change in version 3.10.7 released today:

WHAT'S NEW
- Due to a bug in the DJI firmware, Follow, Focus, Track and VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking modes are no longer usable with the following drone/firmware combo: Mavic Pro (v01.03.0550 and v01.03.0500), Inspire 2 (v01.0.0240) and Phantom 4 Pro (v01.03.0418). If you are using one of these firmware versions and wish to continue using these flight modes, either downgrade to a previous firmware version using the DJI Assistant 2 or wait for DJI to release a new firmware that will fix this bug.

These issues have not been fixed in the .550. This is supposedly an improvement for hover. My Mavic hovers extremely stable without that upgrade. I am back to .400 because I like the Litchi app. Hopefully the.600 will take the bugs out if the firmware ( Litchi claims .500 and.550 have firmware bugs.

I just had a look at my other DJI capable apps. There is this app DJI ULTIMATE now in version 3.209
It actually has all the functions of Litchi and more. It is now compatible with the Mavic, Inspires and seems to have
no problems with the latest DJI firmware. I used the app very successfully in the past with the P3s. I changed my phone
and reloaded only DJI Go 4 and Litchi for the Mavic and totally forgot the DJI Ultimate. With all the Litchi and .500/.550 firmware dramas I need
alternatives . Thats when I discovered the DJI Ultimate is now fully compatible with Mavic and now has possibly
more options than Litchi. Any reason this app is not much more in use and discussed ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60