DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly App does not work on all phones?

pgielen

Reactions
After a thread on this forum 3 weeks ago, I decided to buy a Mavic Mini 2 fly more combo, but so far I still have not flown with it. Due to problems with the USB connection of my current smartphone, I cannot connect it to the controller (it is incomprehensible that this only works with a primitive cable connection in stead of wirelessly!). That's why I bought an affordable second phone to operate the DJI Mavic Mini 2: a Xiaomi Redmi 9C.

To my surprise, however, this phone refused to install the DJI Fly software. It cannot be found in the Google Play Store and installing from QR code, despite the fact that I have given permission for it, does not work either.

As a result, the Mini 2 remains an expensive paper weight for the time being. Can someone tell me what the minimum requirements are for a smartphone to operate it? Does the MM2 possibly work together with the DJI Smart Controller, so that I am not forced to buy yet another phone?

Pierre

Did you check whether the Xiaomi works with the fly app/MM2 before you bought it? Personally I prefer a cable connection, less radio waves bouncing about.

After a thread on this forum 3 weeks ago, I decided to buy a Mavic Mini 2 fly more combo, but so far I still have not flown with it. Due to problems with the USB connection of my current smartphone, I cannot connect it to the controller (it is incomprehensible that this only works with a primitive cable connection in stead of wirelessly!). That's why I bought an affordable second phone to operate the DJI Mavic Mini 2: a Xiaomi Redmi 9C.

To my surprise, however, this phone refused to install the DJI Fly software. It cannot be found in the Google Play Store and installing from QR code, despite the fact that I have given permission for it, does not work either.

As a result, the Mini 2 remains an expensive paper weight for the time being. Can someone tell me what the minimum requirements are for a smartphone to operate it? Does the MM2 possibly work together with the DJI Smart Controller, so that I am not forced to buy yet another phone?

Pierre

The Xiaomi Redmi 9c will unfortunately never work with DJI Fly, it has a 64bit processor but a 32bit operating system.
DJI Fly requires a full 64 bit system, that is why it was not visible in the Google Play store.

So the device needs to have a full 64bit infrastructure and OS, also it pays to have more than 2gb of ram.

Just got an AT&T Walmart Samsung S-10 phone and it works great. Actually very surprised by the image clarity ...... DJI Fly app

Pierre
But a DJI Smart Controller is more expensive than a good phone compatible with Dji Fly software!

But a DJI Smart Controller is more expensive than a good phone compatible with Dji Fly software!
Not some of the phones these guys use! Good Grief...who the heck reasonably thinks it's "normal" to pay $1000+ a year to have the latest phone??? It's all in perspective, to me it's a darn phone!. What you need, vice what you want, I guess. I paid $150 for my Galaxy phone and $30 a month for service..I have had that same phone for 4 years...I could easily afford a SC and every DJI model for that length of time and have a healthy savings account :p

And no phone made today can match the 1000 nit screen (Always on) of the SC. Phones simply are not made to provide that level of screen brightness for any extended length of time. The SC is truly a work of art and one of DJI's crowning jewels YMMV

Last edited:
I tried the last 3 days to install DJI FLY App from the website because the Google Play Version was still on 1.2.1 on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro. It always failed before but a minute ago I randomly decided to give it another go, went to the website and redownloaded the app. This time it worked, but there was no mention of any change to the app or addition of available phones on the website.
For reference: My Redmi Note 8 Pro runs on Android 10 MIUI Global 12.0.3

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne