DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Geo Zones 2.0 - Authorization Zone Question

dawaske

Reactions
Hello everyone!
I recently upgraded from a Mavic Pro to a Mavic 2 Pro and wanted to test it in my back yard yesterday evening. To my surprise I wasn't even able to take off, since apparently my back yard lies in a no fly zone now that mandates(self) authorization. I didn't do that since this would've meant to share information with DJI that I had the feeling could be used against me some time (those three boxes that need to be checked). That said, I never had any issues taking off at the exact same spot with my Mavic Pro (1) so I assume this new NFZ is due to the Geo Zones 2.0 update (I really wish I hadn't pressed "update fly safe database" when setting up the M2P last weekend...). My question now is: if I actually follow through with the self authorization, what happens with the data that is being sent over to DJI? Will they forward it to/ alert local authorities or anything?
Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra
Hello everyone!
I recently upgraded from a Mavic Pro to a Mavic 2 Pro and wanted to test it in my back yard yesterday evening. To my surprise I wasn't even able to take off, since apparently my back yard lies in a no fly zone now that requires (self) authorization. I didn't do that since it required sharing information with DJI that I had the feeling might be used against me some time (those three boxes that need to be checked). That said, I never had any issues taking off at the exact same spot with my Mavic Pro (1) so I assume this new NFZ is due to the Geo Zones 2.0 update (I really wish I hadn't pressed "update fly safe database" after turning the M2P on for the first time last weekend...). My question now is: if I actually follow through with the self authorization, what happens with the data that is being sent over to DJI? Will they forward it to/ alert local authorities or anything?
Cheers,
Daniel

I self authorize whenever I'm allowed to. I think the check boxes are there to release DJI from any liability and place it on your shoulders. It would not be in DJI's interest to have its users visited by the drone police.

Hello everyone!
I recently upgraded from a Mavic Pro to a Mavic 2 Pro and wanted to test it in my back yard yesterday evening. To my surprise I wasn't even able to take off, since apparently my back yard lies in a no fly zone now that requires (self) authorization. I didn't do that since it required sharing information with DJI that I had the feeling might be used against me some time (those three boxes that need to be checked). That said, I never had any issues taking off at the exact same spot with my Mavic Pro (1) so I assume this new NFZ is due to the Geo Zones 2.0 update (I really wish I hadn't pressed "update fly safe database" after turning the M2P on for the first time last weekend...). My question now is: if I actually follow through with the self authorization, what happens with the data that is being sent over to DJI? Will they forward it to/ alert local authorities or anything?
Cheers,
Daniel

The DJI authorization zones do not imply anything about the legality of flying at that location. For example, you will see that in the vicinity of untowered Class G airports. So the correct question to ask is not whether DJI will pass information on to the local authorities (they won't), but instead whether it is actually legal to fly there without FAA authorization (if you are in the USA).

Reactions: Gindra
Thank you for your replies! This puts me at ease a little, even though it's still kind of annoying that I always have to request special permission to fly at home now...
Which brings me to another question: will there be any flight height restrictions in that area even after unlocking (like 60 or 120m)?

will there be any flight height restrictions in that area even after unlocking
It would be helpful to pinpoint your location to answer that question.

You are very close to LSZH. According to FOCA, you need a permit to fly in that area. (from Skyguide)

Source: https://www.bazl.admin.ch/rpas

If you have that waiver, you can fly at a height the permit allows.

I am aware of that. It's still kind of annoying though that I can't even take off on my own property anymore without special permission when this was perfectly possible with my Mavic Pro (1). I never should've sold that thing :(

The DJI authorization zones do not imply anything about the legality of flying at that location. For example, you will see that in the vicinity of untowered Class G airports. So the correct question to ask is not whether DJI will pass information on to the local authorities (they won't), but instead whether it is actually legal to fly there without FAA authorization (if you are in the USA).
I thought class G airspace contained no airports

I get them on my Mavic Pro, mines modded..It updated itself some time 2 weeks ago even though I had auto update off. Like you one day it wasnt there the next day it was.. It kinda sucks because even when your altitude is restricted to , lets say 120 feet I still get that orange color on my maps when flying..Personally I think it's a little excessive seeing that the take off pattern from the airport goes out like 15 miles and you can't even take off, before you could fly to a certain altitude within so many miles of runway. Guess the FAA doesnt trust any of us drone flyers...

Hello everyone!
I recently upgraded from a Mavic Pro to a Mavic 2 Pro and wanted to test it in my back yard yesterday evening. To my surprise I wasn't even able to take off, since apparently my back yard lies in a no fly zone now that mandates(self) authorization. I didn't do that since this would've meant to share information with DJI that I had the feeling could be used against me some time (those three boxes that need to be checked). That said, I never had any issues taking off at the exact same spot with my Mavic Pro (1) so I assume this new NFZ is due to the Geo Zones 2.0 update (I really wish I hadn't pressed "update fly safe database" when setting up the M2P last weekend...). My question now is: if I actually follow through with the self authorization, what happens with the data that is being sent over to DJI? Will they forward it to/ alert local authorities or anything?
Cheers,
Daniel
I had the same thing happen to me about two weeks ago. If I'd owned a cell phone the authorization process would have been very simple and relatively quick. I do not own a cell phone so I had to do a custom authorization online. Although I had to send in a pdf with some very official credentials of why I wanted to fly in my backyard it really only took me 10 minutes fill out the form. About twenty minutes later I got my authorization code and was up flying the next day. One of the DJI Flysafe staff told me what to say in the pdf to get around the "official" stuff. In my opinion, no reason not to self authorize if you want to fly in your own backyard.

But, presumably, you have now looked at a sectional and noticed that there are many airports in Class G airspace?
I have not looked at one yet a real one anyway

Wait, so you're saying you didn't even have a chance to avoid updating the fly safe database? That would really suck...
All it would take is your finger missing the spot by a quarter inch, that choice comes up every single time I fly as I live right on the border

Ok so I was able to acquire a M2P that was manufactured in 12/2018 so it shouldn't have the Geo Zones 2.0 update. Unfortunately, however, it's also still on FW v01.00.0200 so no waypoints and no lateral obstacle avoidance in hyperlapse mode. The question now is:
will the Fly Safe database be updated when I move to FW v01.00.0300 or is this a separate process?

can somebody confirm what exactly is expected to happen on the latest .0400 firmware when you cross the boundaries of the NFZ during the flight? it presumes that flight was started outside of NFZ, but then flight path crossed its border.
should it refuse to enter the area and notify so on the screen of the GO4 app letting you to fly around it, or will it enter NFZ, go deep enough in it, then realize what it did, show the post-mortem notification on the screen and then switch to an auto landing mode?

It will not enter the area.
If for whatever reason (e.g. TFR becomes active, aircraft was blown into NFZ by strong wind), the FC finds itself in an NFZ, autolanding starts in 3..2..1
so, i asked for that guy i spoke with to try to find go4 logs, but he says he lost his drone in that specific scenario - where it somehow went into an nfz, flew into it for a 2 min or so without any alerts - and he was not aware he is entering the nfz - and then said him 'something' on the screen in red :) and went into the auto landing. spoke to him yesterday about it, so, will see if he will find logs or not, he is not a technical person at all.

i wonder if i have any 'safe' nfz nearby to try it out to see what it is about, as i assumed it was supposed to 'see' those boundaries and not to enter the nfz at all. odd.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan