DJI getting banned?

Do you think Dji will be banned?

• Yes

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 40 78.4%

• Total voters
OK, but that's not what I asked

it doesn't really matter whether it's thru the FCC, Congress, executive order, or the courts...if the government ordered DJI to comply with the new legislation by grounding their drones thru the Fly app, isn't it almost certain DJI would comply?

The FCC would not need to monitor drones. Any time the Fly app 'called home' after DJI complied, that version of the Fly app would not allow drones to fly. I imagine you could keep your phone or tablet in airplane mode (do DJI android controllers have an airplane mode?). But that would only work for a while because the Fly app already has a restriction in it's code to limit altitude above home point to 30 meters, and distances to 50 meters if the app hasn't logged in for 30 days

I imagine there will be hacks for this, but with remote ID, there will be risks
I'll give you another radio related example. CB's are regulated to 4 watts output. Linear amplifiers can boost that 4 watts to 1000 or even 1500 watts. They are illegal but still available. What if DJI started marketing their drones for inside use only? What if they started selling them to a company in England who rebrands them as "The King's Drone" and sends them here for sale? What if DJI simply sends them here without an operating chip and a US company puts a US made chip in them? There are thousands of ways to skin a cat.

As to the ID, if you don't register it or register it in fictitious name, then who are they going to go after? And as you say, hacks can and will be made.

I'll give you another radio related example. CB's are regulated to 4 watts output. Linear amplifiers can boost that 4 watts to 1000 or even 1500 watts. They are illegal but still available. What if DJI started marketing their drones for inside use only? What if they started selling them to a company in England who rebrands them as "The King's Drone" and sends them here for sale? What if DJI simply sends them here without an operating chip and a US company puts a US made chip in them? There are thousands of ways to skin a cat.

As to the ID, if you don't register it or register it in fictitious name, then who are they going to go after? And as you say, hacks can and will be made.
Tactics from the 70s and 80s and maybe even the 90s. None of that will fly in the 21st century. :)

again...that isn't really what I asked

my question is can DJI, thru the Fly app, successfully ground their drones? They can certainly restrict height and distance

my question is can DJI, thru the Fly app, successfully ground their drones? They can certainly restrict height and distance
Technically, they could put out an update that turns a drone into a pretty paperweight. There would be no reason for them to do so.

Technically, they could put out an update that turns a drone into a pretty paperweight. There would be no reason for them to do so.
it's at the extreme end of the possibilities, but the government could compel them to do it

I'm glad you clarified your question. Quick answer is absolutely unless you come up with a method to stop auto updates. But their might be some issue in limiting it to a specific country. In other words it might kill all their drones everywhere, but I'm sure there would be a work around to fix that problem.

Then the question would become how soon the before the class action suit would be filed against DJI on behalf of the owners.

I'm glad you clarified your question. Quick answer is absolutely unless you come up with a method to stop auto updates. But their might be some issue in limiting it to a specific country. In other words it might kill all their drones everywhere, but I'm sure there would be a work around to fix that problem.

Then the question would become how soon the before the class action suit would be filed against DJI on behalf of the owners.
This is becoming more ridiculous every day.
The proposed bills aren't going to take away your drones or stop you from using them.
DJI isn't going to send out a command to kill your drones - why would they?
And there is a very simple way to stop auto updates (at least for those using standalone phones or tablets).
i-dR8KG5X-L.jpg

This is becoming more ridiculous every day.
The proposed bills aren't going to take away your drones or stop you from using them.
DJI isn't going to send out a command to kill your drones - why would they?
And there is a very simple way to stop auto updates (at least for those using standalone phones or tablets).
i-dR8KG5X-L.jpg
Because we love to speculate on doom and gloom? 😆

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simplefillus