Join Us Now

DJI getting banned?

Do you think Dji will be banned?

• Yes

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 40 78.4%

• Total voters
Wolf!? I'd say it is best not to state that they exist unless it's possible to identify them.
If nobody stands to benefit from passing the bill, then why does it exist?

You have to wonder why Autel is not swooping in trying to pick up the pieces.

Who specifically benefits from DJI's misery?
The politicians who sponsored and supported the bill will benefit by looking tough on China.

“The advancement of my legislation the Countering CCP Drones Act is critical for American national security. Communist Chinese drones present a serious national security risk to our country and it is time for Congress to act. Communist Chinese companies that engage in espionage activities and collect sensitive data from American citizens and entities should not be allowed to operate in the United States and this legislation is the first step to prohibiting Chinese drone companies from freely operating on America’s communications infrastructure,”

This is a direct quote from Rep. Elise Stefanik, a sponsor of the bill, from her website. She ignores that it has never been shown that DJI was engaging in espionage activities or collecting sensitive data. It's not exactly a secret that Stefanik has taken actions designed to put her on the shortlist for Vice President on the Republican ticket.

Other drone vendors who want a larger share of the first responder space, like Autel, would also benefit. It could be a short-lived benefit as Autel is another Chinese-owned company.

If she was truly serious about "Communist Chinese" companies collecting data, she would ban any smartphone that was produced or assembled in China.

Reactions: Meta4
The politicians who sponsored and supported the bill will benefit by looking tough on China.
I was asking about who would benefit economically, as in competing drone manufacturers.

I agree that the political motivation for penalizing DJI is emotional, irrational, and pandering to fear,

I was asking about who would benefit economically, as in competing drone manufacturers.
Skydio, Autel, Parrot, Yuneec, and more?

I agree that the political motivation for penalizing DJI is emotional, irrational, and pandering to fear,
Nothing new here. It's right of of Charles Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby, whose protagonist launches a scheme to gain a monopoly selling muffins by getting Parliament to ban all other muffin manufacturers. I suggest everyone read the playbook straight out of Dickens. Substitute the word 'drone' for 'muffin':

"In order to obtain Parliamentary support and attract shareholders, Nickleby and his retinue rely on the comforting connotations of muffins themselves: “Why the very name (United Metropolitan Improved Hot Muffin and Crumpet Baking Company) will get the shares up to a premium in ten days." This company, argues accomplice Sir Matthew Pupker, is vital to “the wealth, the happiness, the comfort, the liberty, the very existence of a free and great people”—in other words, muffins form the cornerstone of everything great about Britain, and this greatness must be maintained through corporate regulation.

To validate the company, Nickleby and co. describe the present degeneracy of the muffin industry: the “whole Muffin system,” according to Mr. Bonney, is “alike prejudicial to the health and morals of the people, and subversive to the best interests of a great commercial and mercantile community." Bonney goes on to claim that, in its present manifestation, the muffin industry is an “inhuman and barbarous system."

The United Metropolitan would reform the industry, outlawing all private muffin selling. Ostensibly in the name of better working conditions for the muffin sellers, the plan’s true intent is, of course, to serve as a cash cow for its creators."

Reactions: Torque
If the ban goes through, will this apply to Canada too? Im guessing DJI would be forced to shutdown their app system. But would they leave it open to other countries outside of the US?

If the ban goes through, will this apply to Canada too? Im guessing DJI would be forced to shutdown their app system. But would they leave it open to other countries outside of the US?
When the US bans something, it does not apply to Canada because it's usually already banned there. However, can't be sure because FCC and all....you never know. ;)

would they leave it open to other countries outside of the US?
I doubt DJI is going to close up shop completely if they aren't able to sell drones in the US. That would be a rather silly move, no?

There's no way anyone could prevent an existing drone from using the same frequencies it uses today.
No, but the usage would be illegal. If someone reported you, you could be fined.

Another question would be for commercial users operating under Part 107 rules. Would their drone liability insurance still cover the use of their drones if they were no longer legally able to use those drones?

The proposed bill is more of a political statement than anything else.

No, but the usage would be illegal.
Only if the use of existing DJI drones was prohibited and so far there's nothing at all to suggest that would happen.
There's a tendency for may people here to assume things for which there is no evidence at all.

Reactions: Ty Pilot and Torque
Only if the use of existing DJI drones was prohibited and so far there's nothing at all to suggest that would happen.
There's a tendency for may people here to assume things for which there is no evidence at all.

It is in the proposed bill, ‘‘Countering CCP Drones Act’’. It's not a long read.

To amend the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act of 2019 to provide for the addition of certain equipment and services produced or provided by DJI Technologies to the list of covered communications equipment or services published under such Act, and for other purposes.

Further down, it gets more specific to what "certain equipment" means.

SEC. 2. ADDITION OF CERTAIN EQUIPMENT AND SERVICES OF DJI TECHNOLOGIES TO COVERED LIST.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Section 2(c) of the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act of 2019 (47 U.S.C. 1601(c)) is amended by adding at the end the following:
(5) The communications equipment or service being—
‘‘(A) telecommunications or video surveillance equipment produced by Shenzhen Da Jiang Innovations Sciences and Technologies Company Limited (commonly known as ‘DJI Technologies’) (or any subsidiary or affiliate thereof); or
‘‘(B) telecommunications or video surveillance services provided by an entity described in subparagraph (A) or using equipment described in such subparagraph.’’.

IANAL, but there is nothing in the language of this bill that would grandfather in any existing drones made by or using DJI telecommunications or video surveillance technology.

Reactions: Torque
IANAL, but there is nothing in the language of this bill that would grandfather in any existing drones made by or using DJI telecommunications or video surveillance technology.
I'd imagine if this 'ban' is passed the FCC might order DJI to ground all drones thru the DJI Fly app?

It is in the proposed bill, ‘‘Countering CCP Drones Act’’. It's not a long read.
I've read it several times but can't see what you think is in there.
I'd imagine if this 'ban' is passed the FCC might order DJI to ground all drones thru the DJI Fly app?
Keep imagining, but that's all it is.

Instead of letting your imagination run away with things, listen to what Vic Moss has to say:

Reactions: Ty Pilot
The FCC is responsible for monitoring the use of the airways and enforcing the various laws. This includes commercial radio, TV, telephones, amateur radio and all types of radio communications outside of military usage. Currently, the agency is woefully understaffed as any licensed amateur radio operator can tell you. There are several unlicensed stations (termed Pirates) operating that the FCC has failed to do anything about for years. Unless it presents a clear and present danger to life, as in interfering with first responder communications, the chances are slim that they will do anything about any violations, and that is without adding the responsibility of monitoring drones.

That isn't to say the FAA might not get involved, but I believe their staffing problems are in similar disarray and I doubt they will be too excited about chasing "illegal" drones.

The FCC is responsible for monitoring the use of the airways and enforcing the various laws. This includes commercial radio, TV, telephones, amateur radio and all types of radio communications outside of military usage. Currently, the agency is woefully understaffed as any licensed amateur radio operator can tell you. There are several unlicensed stations (termed Pirates) operating that the FCC has failed to do anything about for years. Unless it presents a clear and present danger to life, as in interfering with first responder communications, the chances are slim that they will do anything about any violations, and that is without adding the responsibility of monitoring drones.

That isn't to say the FAA might not get involved, but I believe their staffing problems are in similar disarray and I doubt they will be too excited about chasing "illegal" drones.
OK, but that's not what I asked

it doesn't really matter whether it's thru the FCC, Congress, executive order, or the courts...if the government ordered DJI to comply with the new legislation by grounding their drones thru the Fly app, isn't it almost certain DJI would comply?

The FCC would not need to monitor drones. Any time the Fly app 'called home' after DJI complied, that version of the Fly app would not allow drones to fly. I imagine you could keep your phone or tablet in airplane mode (do DJI android controllers have an airplane mode?). But that would only work for a while because the Fly app already has a restriction in it's code to limit altitude above home point to 30 meters, and distances to 50 meters if the app hasn't logged in for 30 days

I imagine there will be hacks for this, but with remote ID, there will be risks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simplefillus