DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji goggles.....big disappointment

I have the DJI Goggles, and had considered returning them as well because I felt the display was somewhat blurry, as it turned out, older folks like myself may have trouble due to their own vision, I have 20/20 vision, but if I place an article less than in inch in front of my face, it will also become blurry, I purchased a very cheap pair of reading glasses, and all of a sudden, the image from the goggles were perfect, and as much as I hate to say, somewhat awesome, I have ordered a set of Focus Fixers, which are inserts for the goggles making them equivalent to wearing reading glasses, without actually having to wear them, the cost is about $53.00, mines will arrive hopefully in about 3 weeks, I will repost again when I get them and share what I think about the Focus Fixers

www.focus-fixers.com

They put a lot of hype into these glasses that go along with the Mavic and myself a phantom three pilot used The drone VR plus app on my Samsung S7 it was great in a set of cheap VR goggles but was a pain to get it to connect and unfortunately I crashed from about 300 feet because of blade protectors and of course my gimbal broke and after that I had vertical lines in my view. then I tried to replace the ribbon cable and broke off a tab inside the camera. about the same time I received the HDMI module so I could use direct cable to view , but I did not have HDMI goggles because I could not afford sharks. Now around that time they came out with a Mavic and the famous DGI goggles. when I was actually looking into the fat sharks. Does anyone use the fat Sharks ? And have used the DGI goggles? Also anyone away to connect the gear VR goggles to a Dji app ?
I use Fat Shark Denominator V3 goggles, perfect for me!

day 1 - headaches. Will see if day two turns out better.

I bought from John Lewis store some time ago, got them on the Friday, they were back at the store the next day, absolute disgrace that a £499 product is not a "£499 product". I would pay around £250 and then maybe I would thing they should have a few extra adjustments to make them fit everyone's needs.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
At first I was disappointed with them.Need 2.0 readers but it took 4.5 readers to get crystal clear.I took off the arms and taped them to the inside.Works perfect but did order a pair of focus fixers that just snap in.
I use my drone to find Fish on saltwater flats so the head tracking is a godsend.Almost impossible to spot the fish siting of my boat with a monitor because of the lack of magnification and sunlight.I wish they fit better and I also have to pull them down to see the battery reading at the top of the screen.I hate flying without them now.

Reactions: chazzm and Pathogen
I have the goggles with P3P. They are fine. They are not 1080p, because I don’t have my Mavic yet.
The resolution will be better if you set your phantom to a higher resolution. It’s more noticeable if you have your resolution set low because the screens are right in your face. I’ve recorded my screen on my iPad before and always find it looks choppier than what I remembered when I was flying.
Also, you will need visual correction (reading glasses), only if you can not see perfectly clear from about 12 inches away. If you can hold your phone 12 inches from your eyes and read fine print, then you will see perfectly fine with the goggles. They are 2 high res screens in front of your eyes.
Looking forward to seeing an even clearer view with my Mavic and Ocusync.

Just an update on my Goggles and the Blurriness issue. I wear reading glasses (1.75) and even with these on everything in the goggle view is blurry. I went to Target and bought three pair of readers in different powers (2.0, 2.5, and 3.0) and for me the 3.0 seemed to be the clearest although the corners are difficult to see clearly.

I then thought about the computer readers I use for gaming (Gunnar Optics). These are designed to reduce glare when looking at computer screens so I ordered a pair of regular Computer Readers at 3.0 power from Readers.com. They have a slight amber tint to them and they make a huge difference. If you are having the blurry issue you may want to give these a try.

Hi everyone Dana Crosby here. New to the group. Current Phantom 3 Pro pilot.
JUST received my mavic Pro and DJI goggles yesterday will be doing my Maiden flight this weekend and will be putting my reviews in a Vlog on my channel. YouTube Dana Crosby in play list ALTITUDE
Hi,
A post reporting your impression, rather than pushing a YouTube video that doesn't exist, would be more beneficial to the reader.

After you have your video available, I would love to see it. Post the URL.

But, baiting the review on this forum is silly and unnecessary.

Please provide a link when you have something to actually post.

I've been using my iPad Air 9.7" with hood for mavic image viewing and thought the resolution was pretty good (about 264ppi/pixels per inch)
After watching all the marketing and raving about the DJI googles I decided to order through dji store and they turned up in 15 days.
I charged them up and updated firmware on goggles,mavic,controller just in case so I knew firmware was current.
I went down to the local park we go to every day walking the dogs with the wife and had a play with them, I set the resolution on the goggles to HD and was really shocked at how bad they were in comparison to the iPad Air, My immediate thought was 'their going back' 'these look crap' .....like a big step backwards in resolution compared to the iPad Air.
The iPad Air is 264ppi but I understand the iPad mini is even better at 320ppi.
I looked into the science and reports undertaken by professors and it is claimed that just below 500ppi is the sweet spot for the human eye, I'll post the report shortly.
I have 2 x 4K TV's a 2k PC monitor and a 2k phone as well as the iPad Air so I think my eyes have had a good testing with different screen resolutions.
I don't know if all the raving about the dji googles have mainly come from fpv users using low res screen door effect fpv goggles but seriously these DJI goggles are just not what I was expecting.
Even the head tracking features are just not worth it, I would rather just use the controller buttons for looking around.
I'm going to try over the weekend to video what I mean between the iPad and the goggles if I can and post.
I was really looking forward to the WOW these are great...but instead I got 'oh no really'
I'm now thinking to send the goggles back,sell my iPad Air 9.7 264dpi and spend they money on a iPad mini at 320dpi with a hood for about the best resolution I could get.
Unless!
Can someone direct me to the ultimate screen/monitor or anything else on the market that will give me the max resolution/clarity I can get.
Funny thing I read on a site is that Sharp have a small screen (about 6") that is a crazy 1000dpi.
Such a shame about the dji goggles they just don't cut it.
PS: I have perfect vision.
Regards
John
It turns out that all of the VR Headset stuff is actually a disappointment. Bought the son a Playstation VR set ($500), Ok, it's 3D 360 degrees but your TV monitor is now so great (from a proper distance) that you are spoiled. Just got the latest Daydream VR for Google Pixel 2 XL phone (highest resolution out there) - big disappointment when it comes to the very clear picture you now expect (or why bother?). The technology is not possible, pixel density wise, to but in a small headset and then magnify it, you are going to have an unclear or even pixelated image. The Pixel 2 is OLED so we have to wait until a technology, which isn't even being discussed yet, develops. Not in my lifetime it appears.
JM

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
It turns out that all of the VR Headset stuff is actually a disappointment. Bought the son a Playstation VR set ($500), Ok, it's 3D 360 degrees but your TV monitor is now so great (from a proper distance) that you are spoiled. Just got the latest Daydream VR for Google Pixel 2 XL phone (highest resolution out there) - big disappointment when it comes to the very clear picture you now expect (or why bother?). The technology is not possible, pixel density wise, to but in a small headset and then magnify it, you are going to have an unclear or even pixelated image. The Pixel 2 is OLED so we have to wait until a technology, which isn't even being discussed yet, develops. Not in my lifetime it appears.
JM

Yep, the VR technology is still far from such an insane pixel density that you can't make pixels out with a magnifying glass which any VR set is. The only solution these days would be to build a 360-degree dome lined with curved 4K screens all around.

Reactions: rfc
Don't think that's the case for DJI's Goggles because what @Moneta is describing are the VR sets that magnifies a max mobile phone 2k display screen to the appropriate size for viewing which in turn has the "screen door" effect. I've tried many VR headsets and I know for sure the DJI Goggles are on a different level. The FullHD 1080P screens are much better than any "VR" headsets out there.

Reactions: chazzm
Maybe if you're in 720P. It definitely is something you could live with IMO. 1080P is very sharp and unlike those cheezy magnifying lens. An iMAX theater can also see pixels. What's your point? What do you expect for $400 for dual 1080P screen?

Sounds like the people complaining about resolution are wanting 8K screens per eye. The Oculus Rift is 1080p per eye like these.. It would take a serious gaming computer to handle even dual 4k images (probably 2 GTX 1080's $600+ each). Then if they could send all that data wirelessly!? Sit tight, it's gonna be a while.

I Used litchi and 10 dollar google cardboards and they worked great. I wear glasses too, no problem. haha, don't waste ur money on dji googles.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan