DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji goggles.....big disappointment

It must not bother anyone that they are breaking the rules wearing these space goggles?
Impossible to have VLOS when you have mini tvs on your face.
I cant justify these goggles at all. my son has them. I know what I am missing, and I can afford them.
Mainly I don't need to have another reason for bystanders to pay attention to me. (I feel like that is the motivation for a least a couple of you as it probably compliments your dayglow FAA vests, Hats, landing pads, and safety cones. :D)

It must not bother anyone that they are breaking the rules wearing these space goggles?
Impossible to have VLOS when you have mini tvs on your face.
I cant justify these goggles at all. my son has them. I know what I am missing, and I can afford them.
Mainly I don't need to have another reason for bystanders to pay attention to me. (I feel like that is the motivation for a least a couple of you as it probably compliments your dayglow FAA vests, Hats, landing pads, and safety cones. :D)
I fly in the middle of nowhere. I have a spotter when I use the goggles. I don’t live in the US and don’t have anything to do with The FAA. The goggles with the Mavic Pro Platinum are simply the best, coolest thing to play with in the world. I’d happily pay $10,000 for them if that’s what they cost.

Reactions: genesimmons
In the USA a spotter doesn't count. So here, cool or not, its not following rules.
But, neither is flying over 400', or farther away than you can see it with the naked eye. :D

Snap in glasses are already available. I would imagine that in 3 months there will be a host of different snap in options. I am really holding out for a snap on that is adjustable. I not only need perfect focus for myself but anyone who comes with me.

Rob

Personally I like the goggles...I wear bifocals, so maybe it’s just my situation.
Bummer they haven’t wow’d you guys, cuz I feel like a bird using them.
I bet you’re right that there will be 3rd party inserts, just prob have to try multiple sets to fit your eyes though.
Best of luck

Flew the Mav today out to 5kms with full 1080p resolution!! Come on what's not to like?? Love mine!

Reactions: Jordak
What I find weird is people posting in these forums with their holier than thou attitudes commonly known as”Drone Police “, It’s almost like this gives them (in their minds) superiority over the common folk(us), I’m just getting tired of the bologna! LoL they need their own forum to keep the bull between themselves. I will be the first to admit I’m no angel, but I certainly don’t kid myself with thinking I’m better than anybody else!

What I find weird is people posting in these forums with their holier than thou attitudes commonly known as”Drone Police “, It’s almost like this gives them (in their minds) superiority over the common folk(us), I’m just getting tired of the bologna! LoL they need their own forum to keep the bull between themselves. I will be the first to admit I’m no angel, but I certainly don’t kid myself with thinking I’m better than anybody else!
Yup I agree.

What I find weird is how childish some people are on here. They, for some reason, think they have the right to do whatever they want, and any attempt to interfere with their self-given rights results in some petulant lash-out. Someone feels uncomfortable with a drone flying overhead? "Screw them, I don't care how they feel." Flying at altitudes that you shouldn't be? "I just want sweet photos!" Someone says something? "They're drone police, I just want to do what I want!" It's amazing what they do to justify doing essentially whatever they want.

The list goes on and on about how absolutely childish I have seen fully grown adults act on here and other drone forums, adults that are often well past their 30s and 40s, and then they wonder why government agencies are suddenly cinching a knot down on fliers. It's not about a holier-than-thou stance, it's about protecting both other people and our ability to continue to fly relatively unabated. You want to end up with the restrictions that they have for drones in Germany and some other EU countries? Keep calling people trying to look out for the hobby "drone police" and continue doing what you think you're allowed to do, and we might end up in that state way faster than you want. Don't believe me? Look and the negative publicity we've had in the past year and how we already had one bill come down that attempted to crack way down on hobbyists. And this one was nice, certainly in comparison to what they could have done. Imagine if they decided to look at some of the EU laws: not being allowed to fly over any private property, within 450 feet of railways, federal waterways (AKA many of the rivers), etc. Your ability to fly would suddenly be VERY restricted, and then the tune would change to how it's unfair.
On the other hand, people could use some logic and foresight to rationalize what other people are saying, and maybe then they would get it. Certainly, some people are a bit over the top, but for the most part it is pretty logical: don't be an idiot, be respectful of other people's feeling, stop acting like only what you want to do matters, and have fun while still staying in the limits of decency.

In the USA a spotter doesn't count. So here, cool or not, its not following rules.
But, neither is flying over 400', or farther away than you can see it with the naked eye. :D

Please explain this. As I read part 107 allows for a visual observer which does not require the remote pilot in command to maintain VLOS.

It depends on how you read it.
What good is having someone else keeping sight of a craft you are flying? Otherwise blind people could drive cars or fly aircraft with that logic.
I read VLOS of the pilot in control.

What I find weird is how childish some people are on here. They, for some reason, think they have the right to do whatever they want, and any attempt to interfere with their self-given rights results in some petulant lash-out. Someone feels uncomfortable with a drone flying overhead? "Screw them, I don't care how they feel." Flying at altitudes that you shouldn't be? "I just want sweet photos!" Someone says something? "They're drone police, I just want to do what I want!" It's amazing what they do to justify doing essentially whatever they want.

The list goes on and on about how absolutely childish I have seen fully grown adults act on here and other drone forums, adults that are often well past their 30s and 40s, and then they wonder why government agencies are suddenly cinching a knot down on fliers. It's not about a holier-than-thou stance, it's about protecting both other people and our ability to continue to fly relatively unabated. You want to end up with the restrictions that they have for drones in Germany and some other EU countries? Keep calling people trying to look out for the hobby "drone police" and continue doing what you think you're allowed to do, and we might end up in that state way faster than you want. Don't believe me? Look and the negative publicity we've had in the past year and how we already had one bill come down that attempted to crack way down on hobbyists. And this one was nice, certainly in comparison to what they could have done. Imagine if they decided to look at some of the EU laws: not being allowed to fly over any private property, within 450 feet of railways, federal waterways (AKA many of the rivers), etc. Your ability to fly would suddenly be VERY restricted, and then the tune would change to how it's unfair.
On the other hand, people could use some logic and foresight to rationalize what other people are saying, and maybe then they would get it. Certainly, some people are a bit over the top, but for the most part it is pretty logical: don't be an idiot, be respectful of other people's feeling, stop acting like only what you want to do matters, and have fun while still staying in the limits of decency.

Actually I find it really funny, especially since I’ve been flying RC vehicles and aircraft before quads were even invented well over 35 years! And someone with less then 4-5 years or most likely months is going to spout rules/regs to me?? LoL I mumble this in my sleep haha, I own more land than I can fly with one battery and not leave my property, I’m not in any flight paths of airlines etc, just wide open area, so that being said I fly however I please, now when not on my land I follow every rule the FAA has regarding unmanned aircraft. As far as Drone police,,,? I call it like I see it my friend. Obviously touched a nerve considering the response! I love my hobby and lord knows I’ve enough invested in it to screw it up by not following FAA rules in the USA, much less your country, I don’t think I need to point out anyone’s faults of not following the regulations I’m sure they know they broke whatever rule they’ve broken, who am I to call every single issue to light? By that token who are you? Besides self appointed Drone police for doing so? I like answers to issues we are having with our aircraft I don’t need to have to see post pointing out every other issue besides the main point of these post, so please cool your jets there Barney.

Reactions: Spidy Air Man
chazzm said "What I find weird is people posting in these forums with their holier than thou attitudes commonly known as”Drone Police..."

Just_nick said "What I find weird is how childish some people are on here. They, for some reason, think they have the right to do whatever they want, and any attempt to interfere with their self-given rights results in some petulant lash-out..."

And this is why having joined the forum looking to learn from people who know more than me, I hardly ever post anything. Why there was a thread a while ago started by someone who'd had enough of the slanging matches and left.

I still stick around and learn from people who know more than me, but I don't engage in discussions much because I don't want the agro, so I just lurk. Every day I read threads like this one that instead of being a discussion, end up as people shouting their own opinion at each other. It's a shame because this is a really good forum, but it could be so much better without unnecessary exchanges like that one.

Every day I read threads like this one that instead of being a discussion, end up as people shouting their own opinion at each other. It's a shame because this is a really good forum, but it could be so much better without unnecessary exchanges like that one.

I have to disagree, what makes a good forum is all the different opinions. What good is a forum that your only option is reading what you agree to or already know?
I realize there is a lot of chest beating here and there. BUT if you can read through it all with an open mind, you will find some gems of knowledge you won’t find anywhere else.

What good is having someone else keeping sight of a craft you are flying?
The spotter is there for situational awareness. Aka he could see a full size aircraft approaching from behind the UAV that the FPV pilot would not see. Or more simple things like being able to warn the FPV pilot he's about to fly sideways into a tree he hasn't seen.

Oh I agree there are many gems to be had and differences of opinion are a good thing. I really do like this forum, I am a much wiser pilot from reading it and I am grateful to the experts on here who have probably saved me from being skinned alive by my wife many times over.

It’s not the differences of opinion that detract from the quality of the forum, it’s the pointless insistence that ‘this opinion is the right one and I’m going to demean you until you agree with me’, followed by the equally pointless haughty retort. I want to read the differences of opinion and the humour. I stop reading when it turns into playground pulpits and self-righteous proselytising.

Reactions: Aumoe
Oh I agree there are many gems to be had and differences of opinion are a good thing. I really do like this forum, I am a much wiser pilot from reading it and I am grateful to the experts on here who have probably saved me from being skinned alive by my wife many times over.

It’s not the differences of opinion that detract from the quality of the forum, it’s the pointless insistence that ‘this opinion is the right one and I’m going to demean you until you agree with me’, followed by the equally pointless haughty retort. I want to read the differences of opinion and the humour. I stop reading when it turns into playground pulpits and self-righteous proselytising.
That is the beauty of it you can always stop reading if it is offensive to you. I wish there was a way to do that in real life like at nightclubs and such.... :D

The spotter is there for situational awareness. Aka he could see a full size aircraft approaching from behind the UAV that the FPV pilot would not see. Or more simple things like being able to warn the FPV pilot he's about to fly sideways into a tree he hasn't seen.
The pilot in control should be able to see what his surroundings are and have VLOS because ultimately he is responsible for ANY mishaps. Cant do that with Gaming goggles on your head.

However, of course, people are free to do whatever they wish at their own peril. I am not saying you cant wear the VR headgear if you want too, I am just pointing out why I wont.
Seen way to many Mr Steele videos with him crashing his FPV drone while flying with a 20% forward field of view only.

Again whatever you think of it doesn't change the fact that unlike what you keep repeating it's an allowed way of operating in some places/scenarios.

I have to disagree, what makes a good forum is all the different opinions. What good is a forum that your only option is reading what you agree to or already know?
I realize there is a lot of chest beating here and there. BUT if you can read through it all with an open mind, you will find some gems of knowledge you won’t find anywhere else.
this,,,,,,, yes i fully agree, theres always some chest beaters on here waiting for the time to spout some crap to make them selfes look smarter or bigger but u are correct this site is full of super knowledgable people willing to help at a moments notice,
i cant count how many people have found thier lost ac or found out things were thier mistake by the guys on here taking the time to figure out thier mistakes for them. awsome site but with any theres always the "im better than u, i never ever ever jaywalk or break any rules,,,,,,,,,"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78