DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji goggles.....big disappointment

I ordered mine few weeks ago and love them. I'm wearing permanently -4.0 glasses and image is razor sharp, no issue.
Previously tried Litchi on my LG G4 (which in spite of being fairly old model, has most decent image quality) with adapted Gear VR and goggles are worth every penny in my opinion difference is huge.

Greetings All,
I finally received my Focus-Fixers, and all I can say is WOW!, these things are Game Changers, and makes the DJI Goggles Fun to use, so far I've only tried the goggles once with the Focus Fixers, flying in my neighborhood for a short test which I have to say is a big NO NO, you definitely need a lot of open space when using the goggles, with the Focus Fixers attached, images in the view finder appear to come up very fast, which can disorient you if you're a novice pilot. I can't recommend the goggles for everyone, for me however, I enjoy them, and hope that when the Phantom 5 becomes available, it will wirelessly synch to the Goggles as my Mavic does. With the Focus Fixers attached, images on the screen are crystal clear, from the bottom of the screen viewer to the top.

Once you start turning your head the drone will keep turning until you go the other way with your head. Personally I turned all that stuff off from day two of flying with them. I prefer to pan and move the camera via the RC, becasue It's more precise control.

Rob

I think DJI needs to revisit their head tracking implementation and at the very least add a Gimbal PITCH-ONLY head tracking mode. In addition they need to add the following variation to the YAW head tracking mode: "VR joy-stick style" or "VR immersive style". Just like Litchi VR is implemented. The joy-stick style is what DJI currently offers where if you turn your head it is like moving the YAW stick. It will turn until you move your head back. The "Immersive style" makes the YAW follow the head movement exactly. Turn your head by let's say 10 degrees then the bird will turn 10 degrees. That mode is much more useful and natural for head tracking.

In addition, the head tracking implementation has a serious bug: As soon as any head tracking is turned on (regardless of sensitivity settings), the gimbal starts to move randomly left/right by just a little - but enough to make any video taken unusable and most certainly ends up giving you a headache.

I’ve bit the bullet and ordered the RE version of the DJI goggles yesterday from Drone world who has them in stock! After extensive research I believe I’ll be happy with them ! I have been using Fatshark dominator v3 Goggles for quite awhile and they are great but not at the specifications of the DJI goggles !

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe all the disappointed reactions. My wife got me a pair for X-Mas and they've already become my favorite accessory for the Mavic.

I absolutely love them and can't imagine going back to a phone or tablet. I have the Crystalsky 5.5" and love it, but the goggles just blow me away. Maybe I'm lucky because they are my 1st experience with FPV flying, but I find nothing about them to complain about.

Wow, I can't believe all the disappointed reactions. My wife got me a pair for X-Mas and they've already become my favorite accessory for the Mavic.

I absolutely love them and can't imagine going back to a phone or tablet. I have the Crystalsky 5.5" and love it, but the goggles just blow me away. Maybe I'm lucky because they are my 1st experience with FPV flying, but I find nothing about them to complain about.

We hear many mixed emotions with the Goggles but can definitely say more to the positive than negative. They're not for everyone.

Glad to hear you are enjoying them! My personal preference is 5.5" CrystalSky on the Mavic but like getting some flight time in with the Goggles every so often as well. Safe flying!

I have to agree I’ve received the Racing Edition and it took all of 30 seconds to activate them on my laptop and link them to my Mavic Pro and I was flying it completely wireless! The screens were excellent in clarity!! They also worked perfectly with my P4 and my P4P! These goggles are by far better than my Fat Shark dominator V3 Goggles of which I’ll have up for sale shortly! But like was mentioned earlier the people who’ve made negative reviews are people who’ve never tried them or couldn’t afford them!

Perfect 20/20 or even 20/15 vision does not cut it with the goggles. They have a defect that requires almost 75% of people that use them to wear reading glasses unless you are extremely nearsighted.
I own an Ipad Air 2 and the goggles and my first impression was the same as yours. Then I tried some 1.25 reading glasses and it looked better. I then put on 1.5 reading glasses and the screen looked super sharp. It's not as color crisp as the iPad Air 2 screen but its very close.

PS: I don't use reading glasses for anything else, don't need them.

Rob
The DJI Goggles have a fixed focus requiring the user to focus at less than 12 inches! Nobody watches TV at that distance. Stupid design fault.

I've had the mavic for a year and the DJI goggles for about 4 months. I still LOVE the goggles and I use them on about 75% of my flights. The only reason I don't use them 100% of the time is that they are a bit bulky so I don't always have them with me. They're very simple to use and have always performed exactly as they're supposed to and exactly as advertised. Mine don't yaw-drift slowly left or right at all as someone mentioned above.

I also thoroughly enjoy plugging the DJI Goggles into my Xbox ONE X and playing video games, and occasionally I'll watch movies with the goggles and headphones on - VERY immersive and worth every penny. 4K movies look amazing.

I won't go as far to say I am disappointed, but I will admit that I probably won't be using my DJI goggles very often. To use them, I have to take off my regular glasses and put on reading glasses (which I have to remember to take with me) which is a bit of a hassle. Then, after wearing them for a while - especially if I am using the head tracking gimbal - my neck starts to hurt. Plus even with a spotter I'm nervous about flying with them.

What they are great for, however, is for letting someone else wear them and watch while you fly.

Reactions: Tinmania
I won't go as far to say I am disappointed, but I will admit that I probably won't be using my DJI goggles very often. To use them, I have to take off my regular glasses and put on reading glasses (which I have to remember to take with me) which is a bit of a hassle. Then, after wearing them for a while - especially if I am using the head tracking gimbal - my neck starts to hurt. Plus even with a spotter I'm nervous about flying with them.

What they are great for, however, is for letting someone else wear them and watch while you fly.
focus-fixers will take care of needing reading glasses; they work great.

Reactions: Tinmania
focus-fixers will take care of needing reading glasses; they work great.

I'm aware of focus fixers, but a) they are horribly backlogged and have stopped taking new orders, and b) I have astigmatism which I don't think they make any attempt to correct.

I've had the mavic for a year and the DJI goggles for about 4 months. I still LOVE the goggles and I use them on about 75% of my flights. The only reason I don't use them 100% of the time is that they are a bit bulky so I don't always have them with me. They're very simple to use and have always performed exactly as they're supposed to and exactly as advertised. Mine don't yaw-drift slowly left or right at all as someone mentioned above.

I also thoroughly enjoy plugging the DJI Goggles into my Xbox ONE X and playing video games, and occasionally I'll watch movies with the goggles and headphones on - VERY immersive and worth every penny. 4K movies look amazing.

For a smaller form factor, have a look at the Epson Moverio Bt-300 and the Rochester Optical Solitaire Ace enclosure, the best of all worlds

What needs to be once again mentioned is that the DJI are true 1080P HD resolution
The EPSON is 720P.
Not a big difference, but if you are going to watch a stream that is sent at 1080P, only the DJI will give that resolution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser