DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Corrective Lenses

how easy is it to remove the insert lenses? I have 3.5 diopter glasses and so will need a 4.5 diopter correction......I assume this means I do NOT put on my glasses to view the scene? But lets assume for a minute that I put on my "far" glasses that have 3.5 diopters (as different from my reading glasses that have 4.5 diopters) So if I want to keep the ability to pull off the goggles and see the drone, then I should get a 1 diopter insert to keep using my "far" glasses at the same time?

So my son with perfect "eagle eyes" wants to use them also. I am hoping it is just a quick pinch with my fingers to bring out the two lenses and then my son will see a clear image?
tjcooper

Last edited:
Yes they just push on and pull off. Easy peasy, I use the focus fixers and have both Dji ones and the focus fixers. To me the focus fixers are a little easier to remove and that is due to the material around the lens. Both do a great job for me. Focus fixers cost a bit more. Each to their own and what works for them.

$58 for a set of focus fixers vs $29 DJI correctives.
Why would one buy the focus fixers?

don't forget to add the $10 shipping fee to DJI lenses. Still, I have played around with Fresnel lens plate to do the magnification and it is always a problem because you can see the lines. So I think the DJI solution is the best. Waiting for my lenses to arrive.
QUESTION: if they are not the proper diopter for my eyes, do they allow you to return them and get the next higher lenses set? Anybody tried that?
tjcooper

Last edited:
QUESTION: if they are not the proper diopter for my eyes, do they allow you to return them and get the next higher lenses set? Anybody tried that?
tjcooper

I had to return the first set and place a second order (including shipping) but I got a refund (had to pay return shipping though).

...I have 3.5 diopter glasses and so will need a 4.5 diopter correction......I assume this means I do NOT put on my glasses to view the scene? But lets assume for a minute that I put on my "far" glasses that have 3.5 diopters (as different from my reading glasses that have 4.5 diopters) So if I want to keep the ability to pull off the goggles and see the drone, then I should get a 1 diopter insert to keep using my "far" glasses at the same time?
tjcooper

@tjcooper, did you find an answer to this question? I wear glasses as well and I'm not clear on what to order. Also wondering if the inserts will bump up against the glasses if I wear them?

the corrective lenses have not come in yet. Will let you know what I find. See my other thread on attachments to goggles that keep my head upright. It takes all the weight off my neck. And a side feature is that when you lift the visor up it does not pull off your glasses.
tjcooper

@uberspeck
corrective lenses came in and I have done tests, and made up a mounting system that many people may want to use who also wear glasses.

FIRST: the 2.5 diopter lenses are almost perfect. For far distance glasses, I need 3.5 diopters and for near focus computer reading I need 4.5 to 5.0 diopter (different eye needs different power). The 2.5 diopter made the far distance glasses do a good job. I was right to the "bare limit" where I could see pixels and raster lines on a white field. I played INCEPTION video and looked for the fine hair in leading lady. I also used my more powerful 4.5-5.0 glasses (near glasses) to see if that made looking at the video any better. Yes, it was easier on my eyes to see fine detail.....but maybe too much detail. It also caused the chromatic aberation to get much more pronounced. I am quite satisfied with the far glasses with the 2.5 corrective lens package. This will also allow people who don't use glasses to be able to view the goggles with no problem.

I noticed that the corrective lenses fell out of goggles twice. Need to have them put in with "strong" force. Anyone have a simple way to make sure they stay in, but allow them to come out when other people use the goggles?

SECOND: big problem with thickness of corrective lenses. My far glasses bang into the corrective lens frame and make the glasses hurt my nose and forehead. It was not acceptable because I was running the risk of scratching the AR coatings from my far glasses. I have several different pairs of glasses in different frames. They all hit the corrective lens frame.

So I made two modifications:
mod A: I put medium stiff neoprene foam pad into the DJI thin frame that goes around the face mount area. This was done to not allow the DJI rubber to collapse so easy when glasses were pulled into the system. This gives me about 2-3 mm of standoff distance for my glasses. I used 1/8 inch foam about 1/2 inch wide and just shaped it around the reverse curl frame.

modB: I took the same 1/8" neopreme foam and put two large pads together. A pad covers the whole viewing area of the goggles. By folding the pad in half, you just take a scissors and cut out the center region to give you a good view. I also had to make a small 1/2 inch "nick" into each side of pad so that my glass frames could easily go through the pad. I think my pictures show all the tricks needed to construct it. I then just put this foam frame on my face over my glasses. Then the googles go on my head, and pull down over my eyes. They fit perfectly and match the FOV of the goggles. They stay on my face (and glasses) when I lift up the goggles....they are not a problem to keep in place. The section of foam surround that goes over my nose goes above my nose so I have no breathing problems. I tried to use Elmer's Rubber Cement to hold the neoprene foam to DJI's frame.....does not work at all. Maybe someone else can find a way to "cement" the neoprene pad to the DJI soft rubber frame. But for now, there is no hassle so I am just living with what I have.

I also show you a picture of the pelican-style case I bought off Amazon for the Mavic Pro, and also the hard case that is available for the goggles. Both are like $25 apiece. This gives me a simple two-handed carrying solution to bring all my materials to the field. I have a 32" take off pad that fits in a nylon zip case that attaches to the latch on the pelican-style case.

My goggle case also holds all the straps and chest mount that I have put in another thread to take the weight off my neck for the forward weight of the goggles. ENJOY.

QUESTION: I have a hard time seeing the top line of the goggles. I just cannot bend the goggle head mount enough to make the top area come easily into the FOV without the goggles falling off my head. Anyone found a "fix" for this problem? I really want to know how much AE battery I have left.
tjcooper

Attachments

• goggles_in_travel_case_SMALL.jpg
    goggles_in_travel_case_SMALL.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Goggles_with_insert_foam_under_flaps_SMALL.jpg
    Goggles_with_insert_foam_under_flaps_SMALL.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 43
  • mask_on_goggles1_SMALL.jpg
    mask_on_goggles1_SMALL.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 45
  • Mask_small.jpg
    Mask_small.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • Mavic_in_travel_case_SMALL.jpg
    Mavic_in_travel_case_SMALL.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
After doing a bunch of tests with readers, both with and w/out my glasses (nothing worked). I found that my glasses already bump agains the lenses in the goggles so throwing in the inserts was bound to make things less comfortable. I decided to take the goggles to my eye doctor and have a custom prescription made and get another pair of glasses. FWIW, I've attached my regular prescription and goggles prescription for comparison. I can see everything MUCH more clearly with the new glasses (while wearing the goggles, they're useless when the goggles are off). They do feel a little "off" still though. I have yet to fly with them but I'll report back when I do. I suspect I'll have to get the prescription dialed in a bit more. I noticed the cylinder and axis have been left off the left eye of the goggle prescription for some reason. Not sure if that was an error or not?

Attachments

• regular_prescription.pdf
    742.7 KB · Views: 7
  • dji_goggles_prescription.pdf
    833.1 KB · Views: 10
Anybody tried the corrective lenses from DJI’s store yet. I just ordered the 4.5 prescription.
d423dcb327361e36140b775994f66854.jpg

I use the +5.0 lenses. A lifesaver!!! Perfect vue. The only thing is that it adds thickness and I can't wear my glasses with the goggles anymore. But still a perfect vision even without my glasses.

The dji version are slightly thicker than my custom 3D Printed version. Also I’m not sure how they work out the magnification as my 3.5 are thicker than their 4.

I can't say enough good things about the DJI corrective lenses. For $29 they are a bargain even with the shipping cost. The only complaint I have is some interference with my nose hitting the edges of the corrective lenses if I try to go to wide on the view when scrolling the little adjustment wheel on the goggles. It is only when I go to the very end limit of the adjustment. Not a big deal to me.

UPDATE: I have had 5 people fly my goggles with 2.5 diopter insertions. One of the people had glasses but all the others either had contact lenses or no lenses at all. All of them said the screen looked "natural" and they could see the raster lines and individual pixels when prompted to hunt for them. No one said there was "too much magnification". So I think the 2.0 to 2.5 diopter is the "sweet spot" where glasses people and non-glasses people will really like the image they see and no suffer any eye strain.
tjcooper

I’ve just received my DJI lenses and I think they’re great. I have crappy eyesight and got the 3.5 diopters which is a little more than +1 above my prescription.

I also ordered a pair of Focus-Fixers but have yet to receive them. They only come in round numbers so I ordered +3. I’ll let you know how those work for me when I receive them.

(Update) I received the focus fixers and they work just the way they’re supposed to. My only gripe is that they don’t fit as snug to the goggles as the DJI lenses do. The 3 mounting tabs don’t really grip the lens frame that well and they’ve popped out of place a few times. I have to gently remove the goggles from my head and then gently set them down. Other than that, they’re fine. Not sure if I’d pay almost double for them again.

Just my 2 cents.

KD

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead