DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles FINALLY HERE!!!!

Mine shipped Friday from AUSTELL, GA on Friday and arrived here in South Georgia today. Tracking number showed they were supposed to arrive Monday, 2 days from now.

Nice to get them a few days early.

Charging them now.

Reactions: Merlin23
Awaiting your verdict......... :)

Very, very happy with them.

One mistake I was making trying to activate the goggles. It wasn't clear that I needed to sign in to the app with my DJI account before the goggles would activate.

Basically make sure your signed into your DJI account in the DGI GO app. Then turn on the goggles and link them by pressing the link button on the Mavic when prompted and the countdown timer in the goggles is counting down.

You shouldn't need to relink the existing controller to the Mavic.

I was a little too eager and was fumbling the steps on the first few tries.

Takes some getting used to the menus and interface. Went through 3 Mavic batteries while letting my wife, mother-in-law and kids try on the goggles. They really loved them. That was probably my favorite part, sharing the experience with them.

It's easy for guests to touch the touch panel on the side so locking it is a nice feature.

Really enjoying them and I think most of you will be joy them as well.

Recharging my Mavic batteries now. Can't wait to use them again.

Need to find a nice case now. The case they come in will work fine until I find another option.

Josh

Last edited:
That bodes well for us all. Let's hope the weekend's weather is kind to you, and doesn't prevent you from shooting that video ;)

Reactions: rsbell
After flying the Goggles with the Mavic for about 8 batteries. I can say I'm really impressed. It's a very hot muggy day here in South Georgia. The goggles have a hint of fogging when I had them pressed firmly to my face. I opened them up just a tad so there was airflow between my face and the goggle. I could fit about one finger under the gap.
That fixed my fogging issue.

No issues really besides that. The batteries seem to last for quite a while.

I was also impressed with the goggles ability to receive a good video signal. I flew in spots where my Mavic video feed would usually break up on my phone. The goggles seemed unaffected when I had many houses or terrain between the Mavic and myself. The phone video would break up a little or pixelate and the goggles were always clearer.

The image quality in either 720p and 1080p is great. Pixelation does happen sometimes but it's pretty rare so far. There is so much more to see when flying with the goggles vs just my iPhone screen. The goggles have the ability to zoom in on things and track head movement to move a focus point around the screen making the Mavic autofocus on that point.

I can't ever make out large vultures on my phone as the video is so small. That wasn't a problem at all using the goggles. I could make out the vultures no problem.

Color seems to be pretty good. I'm sure you can change the brightness but I didn't really need to yet even standing out in the bright sun.

There is a little bit of light bleed around the edges sometimes even when pressed firmly against your face. Nothing too distracting though.

The two head tracking modes are pretty neat. Might be nice to have an expo or gain like setting to allow small head movements to move the camera quicker or slower. Nit picking there though.

They are pretty comfortable on my medium sized head with lots of room for you guys with ginormous melons. They fit my kids tiny heads well too.

With little practice, you can fly with the goggles from takeoff to landing without having to pull them up out of the way.

One nit picky thing. I wish I could change the flight data from meter to feet but it's far from a serious issue.

I think you guys are going to really enjoy using the goggles.

Sounds great. Particularly interested in the head-track/autofocus thing. That will save a lot of screen tapping if it works well. Can't wait to try it :)

After flying the Goggles with the Mavic for about 8 batteries. I can say I'm really impressed. It's a very hot muggy day here in South Georgia. The goggles have a hint of fogging when I had them pressed firmly to my face. I opened them up just a tad so there was airflow between my face and the goggle. I could fit about one finger under the gap.
That fixed my fogging issue.

No issues really besides that. The batteries seem to last for quite a while.

I was also impressed with the goggles ability to receive a good video signal. I flew in spots where my Mavic video feed would usually break up on my phone. The goggles seemed unaffected when I had many houses or terrain between the Mavic and myself. The phone video would break up a little or pixelate and the goggles were always clearer.

The image quality in either 720p and 1080p is great. Pixelation does happen sometimes but it's pretty rare so far. There is so much more to see when flying with the goggles vs just my iPhone screen. The goggles have the ability to zoom in on things and track head movement to move a focus point around the screen making the Mavic autofocus on that point.

I can't ever make out large vultures on my phone as the video is so small. That wasn't a problem at all using the goggles. I could make out the vultures no problem.

Color seems to be pretty good. I'm sure you can change the brightness but I didn't really need to yet even standing out in the bright sun.

There is a little bit of light bleed around the edges sometimes even when pressed firmly against your face. Nothing too distracting though.

The two head tracking modes are pretty neat. Might be nice to have an expo or gain like setting to allow small head movements to move the camera quicker or slower. Nit picking there though.

They are pretty comfortable on my medium sized head with lots of room for you guys with ginormous melons. They fit my kids tiny heads well too.

With little practice, you can fly with the goggles from takeoff to landing without having to pull them up out of the way.

One nit picky thing. I wish I could change the flight data from meter to feet but it's far from a serious issue.

I think you guys are going to really enjoy using the goggles.

Thanx for the review. Any issue with weight?

Thanx for the review. Any issue with weight?

I never got the feeling that they were too heavy or that they were going to fall off my head when leaning forward.

I have some Headplay goggles that are similar to the DJI Goggles and those you notice fairly quickly pulling your head forward and down due to weight.

The DJI Goggles seem much more balanced and stay secure on your head when moving around or bending forward to pick things up off the ground.

Josh

Reactions: ryo
Mine are due tomorrow (Monday UK). My Mavic arrived 10am, hope this delivery will be early, 4 batteries and remote fully charged for use. Usually use a Galaxy S2 9.7 tab, has some irritations, but intend to use my Note 3, which works flawlessly, as I will watching mainly through the goggles.

I have not seen anyone else besides select VIPs that seemed to have gotten their goggles yet. Seems I got lucky getting them a couple days early.

It's raining most of the day today here in South Georgia so I won't be flying much if at all.

If anyone has any questions or requests, let me know and I'll try to answer anything I can.

I plan on testing out the HDMI functionality with various devices and the Phantom 4 Pro+ to see how that works.

I also plan on testing out the SD Card functionality to try playback of drone video and see if I can play a movie somehow.

Josh

Reactions: hyb
Hi PacketRacket. I've seen one or two youtube videos, that have shown the left/right head tracking (yaw), to be incredibly slow in responding. How have you found it?

I have not seen anyone else besides select VIPs that seemed to have gotten their goggles yet. Seems I got lucky getting them a couple days early.
It seems you lucked out since DJI has a shipping center in Georgia ;)

Hi PacketRacket. I've seen one or two youtube videos, that have shown the left/right head tracking (yaw), to be incredibly slow in responding. How have you found it?

There are two head tracking modes.

One yaws the Mavic along with your head. The more you turn your head the faster the yaw rate. After using it for a couple minutes it starts to become pretty natural. It didn't really feel too slow or too fast but I only flew that for about 5 min.

The other head tracking mode is where your head movements move the camera and the Mavic yaw is controlled by controller as in normal flight. That felt more like a soaring bird would turn its head and look around while flying. There is an indicator in the center of the screen that shows how far left or right you are yawning the camera from centerline. I enjoyed this mode a little bit more than the previous.

I think there probably is some room for DJI to improve by possibly allowing a rate setting to tweak the head tracking speeds. I did not see any speed/rate adjustments or unit preference in the settings menus.

If possible today. I'll try to get some actual snapshots of what it's like to look into the goggles and maybe the various screens and such.

Josh

The head tracking that only controls camera movement and not aircraft yawing, it seems to be almost a 1-to-1 movement rate. It feels pretty natural. It feels like about a quarter of a second delay when moving your head. It was noticeable when wildly flicking my head all over but didn't even notice it when flying yesterday. I don't think the delay will be much of an issue for casual flyers. Not an FPV racer so I don't know how much that would affect their flying.

I did not try the other head tracking mode as it only works inflight and it's currently raining at the moment.

I tried playing Mavic Video in the goggles by placing the SDCARD directly into the goggles. The goggles would not see any files and displayed a message saying something to the effect of "No files on sdcard". However, if you power up the Mavic and play the prerecord videos remotely over the RF link, they play just fine.

I think I have a "SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB Class 10 UHS-I 95 MBps Read U3 V30 MicroSD Memory Card SDSQXXG-064G".

There are also some sample/demo videos built into the goggles.

I did confirm that the left and right eye see the same full image. There is no arbitrary cutoff or masking.

I am nearsighted and wear glasses. Wearing glasses works just fine. When using the goggles there is only inter pupillary distance wheel to adjust eye distance. There is no focus wheel. It doesn't appear to be a problem to not have a focus wheel though as it was in focus for me with or without my glasses. I think having my glasses is slightly more comfortable but in my case I can't see distant objects when pulling the goggles up. I'll be wearing my glasses with the goggle most of the time. It's very convenient to just pull up the goggle for landing in tight spaces and such.

The HDMI connection is a tiny little micro?-HDMI. It looks like a micro USB connection. Have yet to test that out at all. There is menu option to select HDMI input but it won't switch if it does not detract a signal.

Josh

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicPilot

It's raining most of the day today here in South Georgia so I won't be flying much if at all.

If anyone has any questions or requests, let me know and I'll try to answer anything I can.

I plan on testing out the HDMI functionality with various devices and the Phantom 4 Pro+ to see how that works.

I also plan on testing out the SD Card functionality to try playback of drone video and see if I can play a movie somehow.

Josh

Hi Josh. So, I admit I only watched a couple of youtube reviews and the first 5 or so pages of this thread.... So, I apologize if this was answered.

Do you plan on testing the HDMI to a computer or console? It would be pretty awesome playing Zelda on a Nintendo Switch connected to these...

Alternatively, just plugging into a computer to watch a movie - it seems like it should work for non-netflix based content, but I am really curious so the purchase is not single use. Especially, if you require a 2nd person to fly (legally and safely/responsibility).

Thanks for your review!

Reactions: PacketRacket

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nordrand