DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI has removed firmware downgrade feature

mpa

Reactions
Can anyone advise whether DJI has now stopped people from officially downgrading the firmware. I was previously able to click on the menu button 3 times up the top on the DJI go app and get a list of FW i can downgrade to, from memory it had about 3 options all the way to .550. now the feature doesn't work in the app. the FW version s also dont show on the DJI assistant. have they removed this feature altogether???

I am on version .700

When I looked at my DJI Assistant there was only version .800 & .900 of the firmware no other versions were listed so I guess they have removed them :(

I would expect if you are .900 you can downgrade to .800. Is this not the case? I have no idea, as I am on .700.

When I looked at my DJI Assistant there was only version .800 & .900 of the firmware no other versions were listed so I guess they have removed them :(

They were removed about 4 days ago.

Reactions: RobP62 and Kilrah
From the DJI point of view,
That would be the best approach to reduce security breach (known flaws)
What i dont agree is their half-a$$ nfz and geofence implementation

Fyi, start djiGO in airplane mode to bypass force update message
On fw700 too

Reactions: dewster
Finally sorted out my issue with my Mavic Pro not being able to fly above 30metres.
Firmware is now .900
Controller is now .900
DJI GO App is now at v4.1.3 (2903)
Previously the DJI GO App was v4.0.8
After going on to the Apps Store I downloaded the update DJI GO App v4.1.3 then when the DJI GO App was downloaded I then logged into the DJI GO App all was working great after that. Did a test fly and everything seems to be working fine now until DJI throws another spanner in the works with their dreaded updates.
Hope this may sort things out for other fellow Mavic Pilots that are having similar issues.

DJI seem to be rounding us up like sheep and herding us all into the same restrictive FW versions..

Of course they rant to round us up like sheep on the same firmware.
So that when they're skimming these forums and finding out what mistakes they've made, they can be sure what firmware we're all on.

Plus, they don't want people on different firmware versions giving out negative reviews and experiences.

This is utterly nonsense from them.

I haven't gotten a phantom 4 pro or mavic yet.
The way they are handling things of making me seriously rethink getting a dji.

I'm the 'tech guy' in my family and social circle.
When I buy something, whether a mobile phone, tv, or drone. My friends and family buy it without even asking my opinion because they know I've made the right choice.

DJI seem to be rounding us up like sheep and herding us all into the same restrictive FW versions.
I am on .400 and dont intend to change. I think it is preposterous that these people are now taking control of our purchased drones after the fact, and imposing not only their dodgy rules, but also their amateur programming that produces these skitzo FW versions that seem to be keeping DJI repair stations going gang busters.
So no surprise here if they remove our ability to downgrade to stable versions of FW.

Masheen, since I'm also on.400 and have no reason to go any further I'm wondering how to handle new battery that comes with newer firmware - I got FW mismatch notification recently.
Is it only Virtual Machine and adiru's backup of .400 that can be used to load .400 to battery? I'm wondering what real danger it brings to fly with older drone FW and more recent battery FW (I know from theory, but question what's real danger is what bothers me...)

I have recently

The battery FW should update/mimic the mavic FW version.
I replaced battery recently and went for a fly without connection to wifi or sim. The FW slider was presented as i expected so i let it do its thing. It took about 5 minutes to slowly get to 100% but updated successfully.
Ok, that means even if Mavic is on FW that is no longer visible in Assistant, battery FW will be still downgraded to the same version (.400 in my case)? I'm asking as I would like to avoid it doing otherwise: upgrading Mavic to match newer battery's FW.

I am on the .400 FW as well.
There was no way for connection where i did the update (at beach with no sim/wifi) so i am not sure if connection available it would have tried to download latest version...just not sure.
But i do know that they match now.
In case I will see that notification again,
I am on the .400 FW as well.
There was no way for connection where i did the update (at beach with no sim/wifi) so i am not sure if connection available it would have tried to download latest version...just not sure.
But i do know that they match now.
Well, since you're still on .400 and FW mismatch note is gone, then it's all I need to be happy ;)
Many thanks for sharing the details Masheen!

Hold your horses there KM.

Today for you i checked the battery function since last flight when update reported successful.
Now i have error message on RC stating "battery status error" which is also being reported on my two other batterys that were not changed.

I do believe maybe a charge of all batterys will fix this error, possibly due to discharge would have taken place since last use but still around 60%.
I will report back laters.

EDIT: Ok all good, errors have evaporated with a charge and there was no mis-match warning for FW version on battery in question. :)
Good news - once again thank you for the effort and checking this. Since I'm for now a big fan of .400, it has a really big importance for me. Seeing FW mismatch I was on a verge of updating the whole set, but now I'm back flying comfortable.

Reactions: scooot
They're just making the decision much easier for me. When something goes wrong with any of my DJI products that cannot be repaired here, then the answer is simple. I toss it and will not replace it with another DJI product.

I know they won't care one bit, but I'll have the satisfaction of never buying anything from them again. It's a fun hobby, but can always find something else to do. I'm not chained to it.

Bud

DJI seem to be rounding us up like sheep and herding us all into the same restrictive FW versions.
I am on .400 and dont intend to change. I think it is preposterous that these people are now taking control of our purchased drones after the fact, and imposing not only their dodgy rules, but also their amateur programming that produces these skitzo FW versions that seem to be keeping DJI repair stations going gang busters.
So no surprise here if they remove our ability to downgrade to stable versions of FW.

From the DJI point of view,
That would be the best approach to reduce security breach (known flaws)
What i dont agree is their half-a$$ nfz and geofence implementation

Fyi, start djiGO in airplane mode to bypass force update message
On fw700 too
I have to see if a new drone or replacement has old firmware.

Thats great!!

But what exactly has all that got in common with DJI removing the ability to downgrade FW?
It's to stop changing parameters which can be done in .400. It's them keeping control of the drones we purchased & WE own.

I posted a thread in General discussion about how I see this all going. Titled The Future, was closed down very quickly but I feel it is still valid to some degree.
Our drones are too capable and DJI now are trying to get control back, this is compounded by all the "Hacks" being done. Never ending cycle now as they try to stop these and others find ways to circumvent the system.
Maybe they will discontinue the MP and concentrate more on the Spark for general public.
It was only a matter of time before DJI attempted to close down the older FW rollbacks.
Two ways to deal with this.
Accept all the updates go fly and be happy.
Resist this by never being connected to Internet to stop forced updates Go fly and still be happy.
So far I have accepted all updates and not found any restrictions.
Just travelled 2500 Klm with no internet and been able to fly with no problems in different areas.

Soon enough they will pi$$ enough people off that sales will wane off. What the market needs is a serious competitor and I am sure there are companies circling the wagons. DJI has made a total mess of the Mavic with updates every time you turn the thing on to the NFZ mess that they cannot even begin to manage. They control messaging on the boards (theirs and others through others) and are riding the popularity tide but eventually even the sheep figure it out. I was a huge apostle, absolutely love the hardware but think DJI is a lousy company that I think is enforcing controls and restrictions on a product without the lawful right to do so. I lived in China for four years, speak the language and get the culture...... no surprises here.

Reactions: Zorglub
Is there still some way to roll back to 400 or 700?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky