DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID -- When Added to DJI Fly App?

jclarkw

Reactions
Now that RID firmware is finally working on the Air 2, I'm wondering: When was the RID feature added to DJI Fly app?

I seem to remember being told to update both the FW and the app, at that time to app vs. 1.12.0, but RID must have been implemented in the app earlier than that because FW for more recent drones came out earlier, perhaps much earlier. I searched the Version history at ‎DJI Fly, which only goes back to May 31, 2022, but there's nothing about it there.

Any information appreciated! -- jclarkw

The app configures to the drone in use. So you need the latest version for the Air 2.
mobilehomer -- What does "latest version" mean here? I've been flying successfully with vs. 1.12.0, on which the RID function checks out, but that's not the latest version, now 1.12.3. But there are reasons I don't want to upgrade to 1.12.3 right now, see Which GPS Location Controls Restricted Area? Drone or Mobile Device? if curious.

Anyhow you didn't answer the question I asked. -- jclarkw

Last edited:
When was the RID feature added to DJI Fly app?

I don't know.

I searched the Version history at ‎DJI Fly, which only goes back to May 31, 2022, but there's nothing about it there.

I couldn't find the release notes, but there are versions of the FLY app going back to November 2019 (version 1.0.1) from the APK mirror sight if you want to download different versions and see when the RID first appeared. 🤔

mobilehomer -- What does "latest version" mean here? I've been flying successfully with vs. 1.12.0, on which the RID function checks out, but that's not the latest version, now 1.12.3. But there are reasons I don't want to upgrade to 1.12.3 right now, see Which GPS Location Controls Restricted Area? Drone or Mobile Device? if curious.

Anyhow you didn't answer the question I asked. -- jclarkw
Have you been flying an Air 2 with RID without updating the app or just flying?

Have you been flying an Air 2 with RID without updating the app or just flying?
As I tried to explain in the OP, when I was able to get the RID FW for the Air 2 (Oct. 1), I followed instructions and updated the app to then-current vs. 1.12.0. As I also replied, in answer to your first post here, that combination successfully implemented RID for me.

If you're asking if I back-tested earlier versions of the app to see if they also worked with RID, the answer is no. Perhaps my original post was not clear. The question I was trying to ask there was, does anyone know when this feature was implemented in the app? -- jclarkw

Last edited:
When one runs the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)\DJI Assistant 2 software on one's computer - you can connect your controller - In my case the RM500.
It will connect IF the cable is connected to the Controller via the USB port - then select update,

Run the same software - connect the Drone via USB Cable and once again select update.

This has NOW updated both my Controller and mt Mavic Air2.

The Specific Firmware states: Latest - V01.01.1600

This may vary based upon one's specific Controller and Specific Model Drone.

Everyone's systems are unique!

The Specific Firmware states: Latest - V01.01.1600

This may vary based upon one's specific Controller and Specific Model Drone.

Everyone's systems are unique!
Sorry -- I misunderstood your question. I was talking about the DJY Fly app, not the FW. -- jclarkw

Sorry -- I misunderstood your question. I was talking about the DJY Fly app, not the FW. -- jclarkw
It was NOT a question.

This DID update the DJI Fly App.

There IS Firmware within the DJI Fly App.

My particular instance I am using the RM500 Controller. This software, DJI+Assistant+2(Consumer+Drones+Series)+2.1.20, DOES this when the controller was connected to my computer.

This SAME software, ALSO updated my Mavic Air2 WHEN also connected to the computer.

Please CAREFULLY read the specific post.

This is NOT an instance of EITHER OR - It just happens to be BOTH.

DJI does NOT make things very CLEAR.

They do things in ways that ARE NOT APPARENT.

It is an instance that happens to be VERY much like Government Speak.

The devil is very much in the details.

Only that THEY DO NOT explain it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is NOT an instance of EITHER OR - It just happens to be BOTH.

DJI does NOT make things very CLEAR.

They do things in ways that ARE NOT APPARENT.

It is an instance that happens to be VERY much like Government Speak.

The devil is very much in the details.

Only that THEY DO NOT explain it at all.
OK -- Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but I am getting frustrated. If you expect me to understand, you will have to explain more clearly. For example, how can DJI Assistant 2 (which I use myself to update the FW in the RC and drone and you describe) update the DJI Fly app? It's never connected to the mobile device (in my case, an iPhone) in this process!

And you aren't addressing my question in the OP. Neither did mobilehomer. It still appears to me that we have two different discussions going here, perhaps because I still don't understand? -- jclarkw

Maybe this - noone else has noted or really cares when it was first added to the Fly app. It would be whenever the first DJI model had RID activated. Then as each new model was added with RID, the app was updated to include the new drone.

Reactions: MA2 317 and jclarkw
OK -- Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but I am getting frustrated. If you expect me to understand, you will have to explain more clearly. For example, how can DJI Assistant 2 (which I use myself to update the FW in the RC and drone and you describe) update the DJI Fly app? It's never connected to the mobile device (in my case, an iPhone) in this process!

And you aren't addressing my question in the OP. Neither did mobilehomer. It still appears to me that we have two different discussions going here, perhaps because I still don't understand? -- jclarkw
There are not two discussions happening.

The RID update in your case WILL be a firmware update on the drone itself.

The APP on your iPhone requires a new download of the DJI Fly App.

Then you will have everything up to date.

It is indeed confusing.

Having had two different DJI drones, I have always had confusion.

I also did NOT update the GPS update.

I fly in a couple of different locations. One is on my property. It is within the radius of a nearby airfield.

I never go above 40 feet above ground level here.

I constantly have my Mavic Air2 sending alerts about aircraft. Those are REQUIRED by the FAA to NOT go below 1000 feet above Ground Level.

I also did NOT update the GPS update.
OK, BigBsquared, the only thing I don't understand in your last is the above quote. What GPS update? Wouldn't anything involving GPS be in either the drone FW or the mobile-device OS? -- jclarkw

OK, BigBsquared, the only thing I don't understand in your last is the above quote. What GPS update? Wouldn't anything involving GPS be in either the drone FW or the mobile-device OS? -- jclarkw
When I ran the software, it ALSO asked about an update in the drone or controller regarding a GPS Update.

If one does such, then it CAN prevent a takeoff in certain areas.

Specifically within a Radius of 10 Nautical Miles of an Airfield.

This is WHY I added that I did NOT install that specific update.

It IS a separate update file.

Those in other countries have THEIR version of the FAA in their countries.

In the USA it is the FAA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N