DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

I let my Mavic cover lapse unintentionally on my M2P and now I get nervous when I fly.

Was that the DJI Care Refresh ??
If so, you can extend a second year, but only if you have at least one replacement left from the first year.
2 claims allowable in total, both have a replacement fee, but those are pretty low (#1 $139, #2 $199).

Great because it covers operator error, good for that first year (or two) learning.
For $169 (x 2 ?) it is probably a no brainer to buy it for the two first years, so many things can bring on a loss (but usually pilot error is to blame in some way).

I assume if you have one claim in year one, extend your cover for year two, you can have one more claim.
If you have no claims year one, you should have two replacements available for that second year (if needed).
Also assume the cost for each year is $169.

You do have to recover your drone though, so bad luck if it falls somewhere inaccessible, has a flyaway, or lands in the sea / deep water.
I have read a few instances where the drone has been lost to some sort of massive failure (and not recovered), where the flight logs / data clearly shows this.
This is usually the exception rather than the general rule though.

It'd be very nice if Australia had someone (like State Farm in the US) that did at least cover cost of equipment if lost / crashed.
I've read the US cover you don't even have to recover the drone.
Think that was around US$70 a year, so many US pilots take that instead of Care Refresh.

Maybe one day, but can you imagine the risk on this for the insurer ?
I'd say it must be pretty high.

might be worth talking to these guys
Ive only ever had good dealings with Rise Above

might be worth talking to these guys
Ive only ever had good dealings with Rise Above

Thanks anzacjack, I have seen that before, so just emailed them to ask if they have any options for equipment / PL cover for hobbyists.
I always assumed it would be for industrial use (ie business with RePL / ReOC).

Their page does say . . .
"When operating expensive equipment, it always pays to have the proper insurances in case something goes wrong.
This is very important for the UAV industry; with so many risks, and such expensive equipment, it pays to ensure yourself, and your equipment are covered."

Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Rise Above / Osmans are out unless you are drone biz.

"Thank you for your enquiry.
Osman's Insurance Brokers only offer insurance for drones used in a commercial sense, rather than to individuals.
You may consider speaking to your home and contents insurer for insurance on your drone, or even looking into portable goods insurance.
Enjoy your day.
Kind regards,"

They didn't mention Excluded category pilots (who can fly commercially under the category terms), but suspect they will be after fully licenced pilots with registered drone business name / activities.

Hi Everyone from Aus, Paul from Ermington (near Ryde) in Sydney.

Currently flying a Mavic Pro 2. Interesting in locals that have found new and interesting places to fly. Sydney is shocking for us drone pilots, if you check Airmap its difficult to find a place where you can actually fly :( so any helpful suggestions would be welcome.

My top tip would be Lincoln Lookout in the Blue Mountains, stunning colours early in the morning.

Hello All
Looks like its been a while since the last reply.
I have a MM and just purchased a refurbished Ipad mini 4.
I am struggling to find an extention cable. Im keen on right angle connections to make handling easier.
What are others in Australia using. I see many third party options are limited here as they wont sell to Australia.
There must be other options. Even off the shelf.
The issue is IOS to OTG with right angles. I cant find anything in Hobart. Do DJI have an extension cable? Do DJI have a phone number in Australia? The controller is designed to fit a Ipad mini 4.
Cheers

Hi PeedyD, heres what you need make sure you select the correct phone, the main picture does not show theios connection just scroll along to find your fitting and also select the ipad you have from the list.

more info here

Attachments

• ios lead.jpg
    ios lead.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi PeedyD, heres what you need make sure you select the correct phone, the main picture does not show theios connection just scroll along to find your fitting and also select the ipad you have from the list.

more info here
Thanks Wombat. It would be interesting to see how long it would take to get here. My mini 4 spent 4 days at Melbourne Airport as flights to Hobart are limited. Meanwhile I have asked a local company to extend the factory cable.

yes, shipping is a problem, the sooner you order the sooner you get it, for that item they are saying Sept delivery most ebay stuff is long delivery times cos of our current covid-19 situation, everybody else is quoting the virus so I thought I would do the same ;)

Hello All
Looks like its been a while since the last reply.
I have a MM and just purchased a refurbished Ipad mini 4.
I am struggling to find an extention cable. Im keen on right angle connections to make handling easier.
What are others in Australia using. I see many third party options are limited here as they wont sell to Australia.
There must be other options. Even off the shelf.
The issue is IOS to OTG with right angles. I cant find anything in Hobart. Do DJI have an extension cable? Do DJI have a phone number in Australia? The controller is designed to fit a Ipad mini 4.
Cheers

Hi

I've just moved to Sydney from South Africa, flying areas seem a lot more restrictive around here. Is there anywhere good/safe to fly in northern Sydney area?

Hi guys!
My name is Harold, I and I've been a droneaholic for 2 months now. Started with a Ryze tello, now with a Mavic mini (love it!) and awaiting a refurbished Mavic Pro Platinum fly more combo from Kogan.com any day now (A$999, not a bad deal).

Anyways! I mainly live on the Gold Coast, and have been flying in quiet areas of local parks, and the surrounding hinterland (hinze dam, currumbin...) Pleased to be here! Hope to learn from you guys...

Peace

Reactions: Phill
Hi guys!
My name is Harold, I and I've been a droneaholic for 2 months now. Started with a Ryze tello, now with a Mavic mini (love it!) and awaiting a refurbished Mavic Pro Platinum fly more combo from Kogan.com any day now (A$999, not a bad deal).

Anyways! I mainly live on the Gold Coast, and have been flying in quiet areas of local parks, and the surrounding hinterland (hinze dam, currumbin...) Pleased to be here! Hope to learn from you guys...

Peace

QLS is much less restrictive than other states when it comes to drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake