DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

Thank-you AnzacJack. I'm sitting on that page with its list and wondering what app or apps people use. I'm hoping one might stand out in terms of usability, offline maps, clarity, accuracy or something - esp for Australia.

I’d say OpenSky is the most useful here for Australia. AirMap is also good but can be a little overwhelming to a new pilot with so many warnings/information posted. A closer read will often show most hazards are powerlines etc. rather than no fly zones or restricted areas. For example, my current location is Sydney is showing 30-warnings. The only current real alert is SES are still operating in the area.

Gday, I just joined this forum, so it's nice to be here.

I'm Chris, live in the southwest of Sydney (in the 3nm exclusion zone of BKK Bankstown Airport) and I fly a Mavic Air 2.
I recently completed my Remote Pilot licence and it was issued this week from CASA. I'm studying for the AROC exam and taking it next week. Fingers crossed. Not sure if at this stage whether I really plan to chase commercial drone work or not, I just wanted to get a RePL so I could feel I'm doing things the right way.

I have been flying for almost a year now. I actually crashed my first drone (Mavic Air 2) into the Georges River due to a stupid error of judgement. I had DJI Care, but could not reclaim the drone from the bottom of the river, so that was a very silly, very expensive mistake. I've been miuch more careful with the replacement drone, and that might be why I wanted to get the licence so I felt more confident and capable with it.

Looking forward to exploring this site and learning from you all.

Also, just to add my 10 cents worth to the previous thread, I mainly use Opensky

Chris

Reactions: Phill
Gday, I just joined this forum, so it's nice to be here.

I'm Chris, live in the southwest of Sydney (in the 3nm exclusion zone of BKK Bankstown Airport) and I fly a Mavic Air 2.
I recently completed my Remote Pilot licence and it was issued this week from CASA. I'm studying for the AROC exam and taking it next week. Fingers crossed. Not sure if at this stage whether I really plan to chase commercial drone work or not, I just wanted to get a RePL so I could feel I'm doing things the right way.

I have been flying for almost a year now. I actually crashed my first drone (Mavic Air 2) into the Georges River due to a stupid error of judgement. I had DJI Care, but could not reclaim the drone from the bottom of the river, so that was a very silly, very expensive mistake. I've been miuch more careful with the replacement drone, and that might be why I wanted to get the licence so I felt more confident and capable with it.

Looking forward to exploring this site and learning from you all.

Also, just to add my 10 cents worth to the previous thread, I mainly use Opensky

Chris

Welcome to the Forum from Northwest Sydney. Congrats on your RePL and good luck on the AROC.

Reactions: Betchaboy
Welcome to the forum, and yeah good on you for getting the RePL.
Did you do that online at all, or all personal training ?
The online courses seem decent value, but not sure how they'd handle practical parts of the course.
I did it online with a mob based in Brisbane called DroneIt. There are pros and cons to their course I think. I found the practical aspect pretty easy. The theory has quite a lot of detail in it (far more than needed for remote flying IMO) but it was still interesting to learn about it.

When I signed up for the course it was midst Covid, so face to face not really an option. But they were doing a deal on the course that covered both the RePL, the AROC and also included an aviation radio reciever.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I did it online with a mob based in Brisbane called DroneIt. There are pros and cons to their course I think. I found the practical aspect pretty easy. The theory has quite a lot of detail in it (far more than needed for remote flying IMO) but it was still interesting to learn about it.

When I signed up for the course it was midst Covid, so face to face not really an option. But they were doing a deal on the course that covered both the RePL, the AROC and also included an aviation radio reciever.

Thanks, I'll take a look at what they have on offer.

Reactions: Betchaboy
Hi all,
Another SW Sydney-ite here - I mustn't be too far from Betchaboy because I'm just clear of the Landing/Take-Off zone for Bankstown, in Wakeley. I did the RePL through FPV Australia and I can highly recommend them, same reason as Betchaboy - not really for a commercial focus, just personal satisfaction.. Although it's in the pipeline that my work (a Govt Department) will be instituting drones in the near future and it will be very handy to be able to be one of their pilots.
Having done the course I use OzRunways as well as a few other apps including OpenSky & Windy.

I got hold of a Mavic 2 Pro with the Smart Contoller and am absolutely loving it.

Hi all,
Another SW Sydney-ite here - I mustn't be too far from Betchaboy because I'm just clear of the Landing/Take-Off zone for Bankstown, in Wakeley. I did the RePL through FPV Australia and I can highly recommend them, same reason as Betchaboy - not really for a commercial focus, just personal satisfaction.. Although it's in the pipeline that my work (a Govt Department) will be instituting drones in the near future and it will be very handy to be able to be one of their pilots.
Having done the course I use OzRunways as well as a few other apps including OpenSky & Windy.

I got hold of a Mavic 2 Pro with the Smart Contoller and am absolutely loving it.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the M2P.

Reactions: br14nh
Hi folks, I joined a short time ago, seeking a bit more wisdom, after realising I was flying a drone with a really good camera, not just a toy!! I fly a M2P and MA2, and am based on the Eyre Peninsula, SA. I'm fortunate to have some of the best coastal areas in my back yard.

Anyone ever over this way, drop me a line for some gorgeous locations. Thumbswayup

Hey mate, i'm in the process of doing my RePL with Droneit as well. It's all quite daunting with the acronyms, wording and terminology but enjoyable nevertheless. Regarding the exam, is it an open book situation or do I need to memorise absolutely everything? Appreciate your help!

G'day from WA,
I've built a few drones from scratch but was really impressed by a Mavic Mini a mate showed me.
I'm looking to buy an Air2S once funds accumulate, from the DJI shop in Perth.

Welcome to the forum and DJI.
You've obviously built FPV drones ?
You'll love how autonomous and stable these consumer drones are.

Hey mate, i'm in the process of doing my RePL with Droneit as well. It's all quite daunting with the acronyms, wording and terminology but enjoyable nevertheless. Regarding the exam, is it an open book situation or do I need to memorise absolutely everything? Appreciate your help!
Hey sorry, haven't been back here for a while.

It's not open book (that's not Droneit's rule, that a CASA requirement). I know what you mean regarding the acronyms and terminologies... lots to remember. I guess a lot of it is actually pretty common sense, and especially if you have any kind of background in science, a lot of it is probably just a refresher on what you learned in school.

I would suggest doing the practice exam over and over until you can confidently get close to full marks in it. I found there were questions for which I just couldn't see the right answers so I literally did the test over and over with various combinations until I got it right :) . Do the online practice exam and the paper one too. It might seem like overkill but it doesn't hurt to learn it well. Annoyingly, I kept studying for exams that kept getting cancelled due to weather ( I was doing the flight test the same day), but I eventually just pushed them to do the theory test regardless of the weather rather than cancel it... I couldn't keep taking days off work for cancelled tests, and who cares what the weather is like for a theory test!

Overall, it's worth doing and I got a sense of accomplishment from getting the RePL. I don't think Droneit's course notes or method of delivery was particularly good, and I probably wouldn't use them again, or even recommend them to a new person. I work in education myself and found their method of teaching exceptionally frustrating because it was so poorly designed, and I nearly quit a few times in utter annoyance with them. In the end I toughed it out, and got it done. In terms of learning the content, just use their curriculum to know what you need to learn, then go to YouTube to actually learn it... yeah, annoying considering how much they charge for the course, but their ways of explaining the content was pretty awful. It's just not how adults learn.

Good luck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123