DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

I felt like we should have one central location for Australian Mavic Flyers, so that we don't feel so isolated.

So, Aussie flyers, introduce yourself, state where you are from and feel free to ask or comment on anything DJI Mavic.

I'm from Adelaide by the way.
I felt like we should have one central location for Australian Mavic Flyers, so that we don't feel so isolated.

So, Aussie flyers, introduce yourself, state where you are from and feel free to ask or comment on anything DJI Mavic.

I agree with your sentiment,I am in Coffs harbour NSW, joined today as I wish to find out about drones. Which to buy,how to fly and where.I live more than 6 kilometres from the airport so should be good to fly here.would like to hear from anyone local.Cheers.

I'm in Sydney and have just bought a Mavic 3. The new camera got me over the line. I've only done a few flights so far but will get out as soon as this rain stops, if it ever does.

will get out as soon as this rain stops, if it ever does.

North has had its go, now Sydney regions turn.
Hope you all get out of it ok, already many billions of damage up north.

So did you have a drone before the M3 ?
Certainly the camera is going to be a boon for aerial photographers.

North has had its go, now Sydney regions turn.
Hope you all get out of it ok, already many billions of damage up north.

So did you have a drone before the M3 ?
Certainly the camera is going to be a boon for aerial photographers.
Sydney has been rained on for weeks. Not as much as further North, but still a lot of flooding In Western Sydney.

This is my first drone. Until the M3 arrived, it didn’t look like a serious camera platform, but now it’s looking good. I have used Hasselblads for many years and am hoping for the same sort of image. Here’s my website, hopefully with drone images soon. Www.jeff-grant.com

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
This is my first drone. Until the M3 arrived, it didn’t look like a serious camera platform, but now it’s looking good. I have used Hasselblads for many years and am hoping for the same sort of image. Here’s my website, hopefully with drone images soon. Www.jeff-grant.com

Some nice shots there Jeff.
You are going to get some awesome aerial photos I'm sure.

Where in the Sydney area are you flying?

I see mostly red and orange in Open Sky for the area.

Some place called Belmore seems clear but is there anything worth filming there?

Belmore wouldn’t be high on my priority list. You obviously aren’t from Sydney. That looks a lot worse than it really is. All the orange ones are take care, and often cover helipads at hospitals. I would never go near them. I am more interested in the coastlines in Sydney.

Last edited:
Most orange zones are flyable, some on airport outskirts have height restrictions, others like heliports are usually fly with caution, land if you become aware of manned aircraft entering the airspace.

The harbour is almost entirely a no fly, but there are a few patches of areas out towards the heads that you can sneak in.
At least when I looked a fair while ago.

Opensky is good to look these up and read what it says applies for areas you pin drop.

Hi All
Pete from Melbourne here. Curious to hear others thoughts. Crashed my Mavic Pro and have received a quote for repair being $550. They offered me a trade in price of $125 for damaged drone, remote and three batteries.

Would you think it’s better to pay the repair cost (they actually replace) or simply buy a new one and take the $125. I was thinking of the mini 3 pro. Thanks for your thoughts. Cheers

Hi All
Pete from Melbourne here. Curious to hear others thoughts. Crashed my Mavic Pro and have received a quote for repair being $550. They offered me a trade in price of $125 for damaged drone, remote and three batteries.

Would you think it’s better to pay the repair cost (they actually replace) or simply buy a new one and take the $125. I was thinking of the mini 3 pro. Thanks for your thoughts. Cheers
I'd go for the new drone & mini 3 pro seems good option.

Reactions: Phill and Prt60
Hi All

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum.

Quite an exy repair, was that a cost for DJI or other repairer ?

And yeah about what a decent 2nd hand setup would be at a cheap buy.

I too would do the trade in, although I love my M1P, I think the Minis are coming along ok, and who flies in strong winds anyway ?

Personally, if I was looking to buy now, I think I'd be looking for clearing Mini 2 flymore, be some good deals starting to come out and it is a pretty tidy unit for photos and video.

Of course the Mini 3 Pro has that flight time, so . . . :)

*** Tell you what, if the batteries and remote are good, I'd take the package for $200 if you like.
Have been thinking about getting a 2nd controller for when I let others have a fly of mine, set up the slave / master thing with dual controllers so I can take over instantly if they are losing control.

Could possibly use some of the remaining M1P parts one day if I ever crash mine too.

My son lives Melb, so could arrange for a drop off /pick up and cash payment easily.

Send me a PM (Conversation) if you are keen, just hover over my avatar near username, and click 'Start conversation'.

Reactions: Prt60 and AnzacJack
I spend my time between Tumbarumba and Avalon. I'm pleased to say that I have the Mavic 3 Fly More kit and am very happy with it. I bought it because it is the first drone that has a serious stills camera. I have no interest in video at all. Here's my site that even has one drone image in the recent stuff - www.jeff-grant.com

Reactions: Prt60
I spend my time between Tumbarumba and Avalon. I'm pleased to say that I have the Mavic 3 Fly More kit and am very happy with it. I bought it because it is the first drone that has a serious stills camera. I have no interest in video at all. Here's my site that even has one drone image in the recent stuff - www.jeff-grant.com
Thanks Jeff much appreciated. Cheers

Hi there, I am also from Adelaide (Athelstone) and have been flying my Mavic Pro for 5 years now. I recently had to replace the first of my batteries recently, and the second one is starting to swell so will be retiring that fairly soon. 'Air Jordan' above mentions that he lives in Brighton and is within 5.5km of the airport, so I checked my "Open Sky" app and it indicates that anything South of Hulbert St is ok to fly in (including Brighton Jetty). You will get a warning that you are in an area where helicopters fly so need to look out for them - but flying with care is ok.

Hi there, I am also from Adelaide (Athelstone) and have been flying my Mavic Pro for 5 years now. I recently had to replace the first of my batteries recently, and the second one is starting to swell so will be retiring that fairly soon. 'Air Jordan' above mentions that he lives in Brighton and is within 5.5km of the airport, so I checked my "Open Sky" app and it indicates that anything South of Hulbert St is ok to fly in (including Brighton Jetty). You will get a warning that you are in an area where helicopters fly so need to look out for them - but flying with care is ok.
About same time on the M1P as myself then, can’t seem to kill this bird !
Still on original flymore batteries and no discernible difference in flight times, no swelling, and no overheating while charging or flying.
Best model batteries DJI ever made.
I’m south of town, but always good to see other SA pilots pop up.

Reactions: Aus1
Hi folks!

Saying G'day from South-East Brisbane, QLD!

Just joined this forum a few days ago - researching my first DJI drone purchase so picking folks brains on this forum! Choice between DJI Mini SE vs Mini 2 with latter winning right now :D

cheers

George

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hi folks!

Just joined this forum a few days ago - researching my first DJI drone purchase so picking folks brains on this forum! Choice between DJI Mini SE vs Mini 2 with latter winning right now :D

cheers

George

G'day and welcome from Gladstone QLD

Hi folks!

cheers

George
the mini 2 is the better drone, but the mini SE is a very good deal and just as good for a beginner.
Where abouts are you located. Where are you shopping?

o and welcome to the forum. On most days its a great place to be, kinda like Sunny Bris :)

Im a little excited tonight, picking up my Mav 3 tomorrow

Reactions: eva2000
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji