DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

I'm in Port Macquarie, NSW. Just spotted the Aussies section here.

Anyone around here?

I'm lucky as I've got a 140 acres of farm to fly on, and a friendly neighbor with a further 1100 acres. It's a great place to do this, and I use it already to check the cattle (they HATE the thing). But I do have a NP between us and the ocean.... what's the deal with flying over it?

I've got the latest version of restricted areas app. Does that work in Australia?
Sorry , national parks are all NO fly zones.They don’t come under Casa rules but direct from National Parks so a lot of the apps don’t show them

Reactions: CaptainRisky
Sorry , national parks are all NO fly zones.They don’t come under Casa rules but direct from National Parks so a lot of the apps don’t show them

That'd be right. The "Fun Police" strike again.

It's funny how we went from loose cannons to the most anally retentive country in the world, all in the space of 20 years.

Almost all countries have the blanket no fly zones on nation parks & CBD Capital cities .The only exception I have found is Malta so far

I was just (partially) mucking around... You know, "bloody government" and whatnot.

The NP I'm near is seriously nowhere though. No onsite ranger or even many people coming through. But it's in between my neighbors (who let's me fly all over his 1100 acres, it's an absolute bonus to have him next door) and the ocean, and is only 400m wide at that point. I could fly from my place straight out to the beach otherwise.

Reactions: ssvdh66
I was just (partially) mucking around... You know, "bloody government" and whatnot.

The NP I'm near is seriously nowhere though. No onsite ranger or even many people coming through. But it's in between my neighbors (who let's me fly all over his 1100 acres, it's an absolute bonus to have him next door) and the ocean, and is only 400m wide at that point. I could fly from my place straight out to the beach otherwise.

If there's no signs I'd give it a go.
You can always plead ignorance if anyone says anything.

If there's no signs I'd give it a go.
You can always plead ignorance if anyone says anything.
Definitely. If no signs then the default is CASA regs. Abide by them and you’ll always be fine

National Parks ?
Hey, I fly some, but ONLY with some thought on it prior, I have some pretty good perception of what's deemed sensible, and what's not.

Remote, I see no issues, and plenty of people fly in places like the Simpson Desert (SA Parks section) as it just so few and far between travellers.
Other places I would fly are less frequented, and so sparse . . . keeping well out from the coast along the Deep Creek Cons Pk for example, I see no issues with a flight there.

I wouldn't fly in any of the Adelaide Hills parks pretty much anytime, too many people that might be annoyed at such a flight, and in general I'm there for the peace and quiet of a few hours bushwalking too.

National Park rules are simply too inflexible in SOME states, the blanket ban is too harsh in SA, Vic, NSW, Tas.

News item about a food delivery drone landing on some power lines, causing the power company in or near Brisbane to shut down power briefly while they investigated.

But the power company spokesman sounds pretty chill about the incident and what it means about flying drones in the area:

“Fifteen years ago, we asked people to be careful if they were giving their children kites for Christmas and where they were flying them,” said the Energex spokesperson. “Now we’re asking parents to be very careful with where their kids fly their drones.”

Read in The Verge: Food delivery drone lands on power lines resulting in power outage for thousands — The Verge

It's not "we'll throw the book at you if you fly drones near our power lines." Instead it's "please be very careful."

News item about a food delivery drone landing on some power lines, causing the power company in or near Brisbane to shut down power briefly while they investigated.

But the power company spokesman sounds pretty chill about the incident and what it means about flying drones in the area:

Read in The Verge: Food delivery drone lands on power lines resulting in power outage for thousands — The Verge

It's not "we'll throw the book at you if you fly drones near our power lines." Instead it's "please be very careful."

Hmm, "there was voltage tracking across the drone and the drone caught fire and fell to the ground" and the meal was still hot ??? No wonder !

Yes, no rules about flying near / hitting power lines, kids don't have too much common sense sometimes.
In Australia, CASA states you must be 16yo to register to fly a drone (ARN), that's when it comes in mid 2023 now (delayed yet again).

Not sure if there is a min age to operate, they might bring something in.

In the US the FAA says you must be min 4yo to fly a drone, and do so under adult supervision.
Solo use of a toy drone is 'about' 8yo, and more advanced drones 13yo and register.
This is from a blog somewhere and may be superseded.

Reactions: Phill
Parks and wildlife (Calm) in WA have recently changed rules for RPA, all you need do is have a look at their site and
download the pdf files at the bottom of their page and then phone the local area and ask permission to recreational fly in that area, if they have no work or fires/burn offs etc in the area you want to fly then they will almost certainly say yes.
Get the name of the person and date and time so that you can verify it later down the track if needed.

Parks and wildlife (Calm) in WA have recently changed rules for RPA, all you need do is have a look at their site and
download the pdf files at the bottom of their page and then phone the local area and ask permission to recreational fly in that area, if they have no work or fires/burn offs etc in the area you want to fly then they will almost certainly say yes.
Get the name of the person and date and time so that you can verify it later down the track if needed.

So now it's only QLD with 100% no fuss drone use in National Parks and Conservation areas under (individual State) National Parks authority control.

The new WA ruling seems a step backwards, and even though it looks like a small impost, drone flights are often spontaneous / random, especially for long touring in the state.
Pre trip having to gather contact info for each park area visited could be 'too hard' for many, not to mention remote areas and no phone or internet availability.
Spontaneity for NP etc drone flight is effectively removed for touring through various regions in WA.

The link to 'how close you need to keep from fauna' is also lacking a decent link to relative info, no doubt buried in one of the acts listed on that page . . .
--
"The flying of RPA should not create a danger or nuisance for other visitors or disturb wildlife. There are separation distances for some animals that must be observed under the Biodiversity Conservation Regulations, more information can be found on DBCA’s website here." (< WA Parks & Wildlife Service link)
--
^^ Anyone know exactly what act that might be under in that list, and know these distances ?
It is likely only to do with threatened species, and not all that widespread in its coverage.
Like most individual State authority parks rules, it probably only relates to WA, and other states likely have similar (but possibly different) rules.

Reactions: Phill
I'm looking at OpenSky now and see warnings for:

Fire hazards and incidents
Information currently unavailable, please check with your local fire service.

Is this common as the weather warms up?

Does this require specific action such as contacting fire departments or forestry services?

I'm looking at the coastal areas above Manly and also around Bondi.

So not sure how much wild brush drone fliers should be worried about?

I've seen warnings in areas with a lot of vegetation, on certain fire hazard days.

Is that what these warnings are or does OpenSky just post them in the late spring/summer months?

I would recommend the Fires Near Me app for NSW for reliable and accurate information. It can also notify you when a fire is close by or advise of controlled burns.

I noticed this on ok2fly as well as Opensky the other day.
Very odd.
I wouldn’t stress too much about it, just do the same as manned light aircraft, if you becomes aware of a scrub / house fire, motor vehicle accident, etc, just clear the air.
(Doesn’t happen too often.)

Reactions: AnzacJack
Are area in particular that I'm looking for are some areas north of Manly, which are otherwise clear and the coastal area between Bondi and Bronte, which are orange in OpenSky.

I checked with both the Northern Beaches Council and the Waverly Council, they both defer to CASA rules for recreational flights.

I may try to get out there early in the morning, so there aren't as many people around.

But I'm staying in North Sydney so it's a long way to go to either by public transportation. I would imagine rush hour traffic on the trains and buses too.

Hey guys farmer , Flyer and FUDbuster here from Sunny "but raining all the time because of that LaNinia` thing" FNQ .
Just getting into drones from RC Heli's I bow hunt as well so hoping to combine the 2.
Cheers .

Reactions: Davros007
Welcome! Sounds like a great combo. Good way to animal spot (and for those from USA etc., legal everywhere here as what we hunt are generally feral or need culling. Pigs, buffalo, foxes, rabbits, deer, donkeys, camels, feral cattle, feral dogs some hares in SE states, many feral euro birds in the east, are all introduced, plus overpopulation of kangaroos… There’s even a station farming antelopes for hunting!). Good to check out fishing spots and look for sharks, whales, big schools and big fish too. I’m in Denmark WA. Great forum for drone knowledge. They get wound up more than we do about politics though, unlike us joking Aussies, so steer clear of that or you get suspended haha how do I know…

Reactions: badcooky
So now it's only QLD with 100% no fuss drone use in National Parks and Conservation areas under (individual State) National Parks authority control.

The new WA ruling seems a step backwards, and even though it looks like a small impost, drone flights are often spontaneous / random, especially for long touring in the state.
Pre trip having to gather contact info for each park area visited could be 'too hard' for many, not to mention remote areas and no phone or internet availability.
Spontaneity for NP etc drone flight is effectively removed for touring through various regions in WA.

The link to 'how close you need to keep from fauna' is also lacking a decent link to relative info, no doubt buried in one of the acts listed on that page . . .
--
"The flying of RPA should not create a danger or nuisance for other visitors or disturb wildlife. There are separation distances for some animals that must be observed under the Biodiversity Conservation Regulations, more information can be found on DBCA’s website here." (< WA Parks & Wildlife Service link)
--
^^ Anyone know exactly what act that might be under in that list, and know these distances ?
It is likely only to do with threatened species, and not all that widespread in its coverage.
Like most individual State authority parks rules, it probably only relates to WA, and other states likely have similar (but possibly different) rules.
Separation rules are, I think, marine mammals - whales, dolphins etc. Seals I’m unsure.
Fact is that the rules will be very unlikely to ever be enforced. The old saying, “Just don’t be a d..khead”, a common Australian animal, is really what applies!

I'm looking at OpenSky now and see warnings for:

Is this common as the weather warms up?

Does this require specific action such as contacting fire departments or forestry services?

I'm looking at the coastal areas above Manly and also around Bondi.

So not sure how much wild brush drone fliers should be worried about?

I've seen warnings in areas with a lot of vegetation, on certain fire hazard days.

Is that what these warnings are or does OpenSky just post them in the late spring/summer months?
“Bushfire IO” for nationwide.
In WA - “emergency WA”.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143