DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Pro Platinum - is it worth it?

I'll buy the props separate and give em' a try on the current Mavic... quiet is always nice!

Reactions: regdawg
To the OP's question I'd say NO. 1 year old drone selling for $100 to $200 more for no real upgrade (IMO) --- no competition in this spec range/price range obviously.

New poster here! This is my story... TLDR skip to next paragraph. I bought a Phantom 4 last year on release day, only to find out 6 months later the P4 Pro comes out with some major upgrades, in addition to the Mavic. I sold it earlier this year in anticipation of getting the "new" Mavic Pro this year. Fast forward to yesterday, and we all know the deal... Would barely consider it an "upgrade" (especially since props are backward compatible). Isn't that always the case, buy new tech, 6 months later a new model comes out... Wait a year for a new model, and turns out nothing really changed from previous model, sigh.

Anyway, I'm going to Bali in December and want a drone for that trip, so here's my predicament... I qualify for the 10% DJI educational discount, but the Mavic Platinum isn't on the list (and probably won't be until after my trip). So my options are:

1) Buy Mavic Pro Platinum fly more bundle ($1399)
2) Buy Mavic Pro (original) fly more bundle - 10% educational discount ($1170 + set of new props = $1190).

Coming from a currently droneless perspective, is it worth getting the latest and greatest Platinum model, or just pick up the original at discount and a set of the new props (and save ~$200)?

Note: Now, if the rumor that the 1080p/60fps issue is fixed like some have rumored (although nothing has been officially announced), that might make it tip the scales more easily into the Platinum's favor...

Last edited:
New poster here! This is my story... TLDR skip to next paragraph. I bought a Phantom 4 last year on release day, only to find out 6 months later the P4 Pro comes out with some major upgrades, in addition to the Mavic. I sold it earlier this year in anticipation of getting the "new" Mavic Pro this year. Fast forward to yesterday, and we all know the deal... Would barely consider it an "upgrade" (especially since props are backward compatible). Isn't that always the case, buy new tech, 6 months later a new model comes out... Wait a year for a new model, and turns out nothing really changed from previous model, sigh.

Anyway, I'm going to Bali in December and want a drone for that trip, so here's my predicament... I qualify for the 10% DJI educational discount, but the Mavic Platinum isn't on the list (and probably won't be until after my trip). So my options are:

1) Buy Mavic Pro Platinum fly more bundle ($1399)
2) Buy Mavic Pro (original) fly more bundle - 10% educational discount ($1170 + set of new props = $1190).

Coming from a currently droneless perspective, is it worth getting the latest and greatest Platinum model, or just pick up the original at discount and a set of the new props (and save ~$200)?

I'd say option #2 is a no brainer and if you don't need until Dec I'd wait to see if any BF deals pop up. The flymore MP combo can be had for just under $1200 on Amazon and I expect this to go even lower now that dji has given our MP a new paint job and called it a Plat. I really don't know what the Plat will get you other than the prop's but for me they solved a problem that I did not even know existed. If they had upgraded the camera in any way (sorry - shoot 4k only) I would have been a buyer. I'm also in the market for a P4P just for the better optics but really think I would be limited on flying due to the bulk of the P4P kit.

Reactions: KooJo
Upgrade? This feels like an April Fools joke. New props , new sticker with the word platinum and viola, new drone lol.

Somehow I think the original props will be discontinued. Why continue to carry the originals if the new ones do a better job for the same money. We're simply in transition time. The old props are fine and don't need upgrading if you stay inside a mile or so.
If you're an average flyer that brings the bird back with plenty of time on the battery, stick with what you have.

I am glad there is not a big jump in functionality. I just got my MP a couple weeks ago so something new that was worth the upgrade would have been sad for me!

I do look forward to more advancements but the MP is a pretty slick drone as is.

Dji drone are mainly for photography and videography. So if there is no significant picture quality improvement, most of us do not upgrade it. Especially for mavic scenario, older firmware can edit parameter to enhance the overall speed and disable limitations, until now we are not sure whether the new mavic platinum can use older firmware or not.

The 8331 propellers have a brand new aerodynamic design giving the Mavic Pro series an impressive noise control performance. When used with the Mavic Pro Platinum, up to 4dB (60%) of aircraft noise is lowered during takeoff and landing, and flight time is extended to 30 minutes. Noise reduction and flight time are also enhanced when used with the Mavic Pro, but not as much.

In Australia the mavic pro had dropped $50 and the pro platinum is the same price as the old mavic was. But it's been overpriced from the get go here

Definitely getting the new props for the mavic but as far as upgrading, nah. A new paint job redesigned motors don't justify it. Staying with the Pro.

Am I the only one that I think that the stealth look of the Mavic 1 is better than the platinum?

Reactions: BuzzyOne
Same camera and sensor. 3 minutes more flight time. New platinum sticker. That's cute

I'll keep my $100, and my mod-able FW mavic, instead of 3 more mins,lol.
This reminds me of them saying FW .1000 improves camera quality, while further locking u down.
oooohhh....looky!... purdy platinum...lol.

.......I'll take the props tho.

The Platinum batterry does it add also 3 more minutes to the normal Mavic Pro or thos extra 3 minutes work only just in the Platinum??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki