DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Pro Platinum (Just Released)

DJI posts the db level on the platinum page. It's 60 db at most of the frequency range

60Db... at what distance and what conditions? Is the Mavic on the ground with the props on, hovering at 5 feet. Inside or outside in the wind?

I just did a search and found a video that puts the sound level of a hovering Mavic at 83.4Db (about 4 feet up and a few feet away from the meter). I'll go with that over DJI slick charts LOL.

Reactions: joshnl
Any reason the Platinum won't be able to rollback the firmware to .700 or prior?

Whoever posted this probably hit the ENTIRE reason for the replacement on the head and didn't even realize it. I've been saying this all day. This is all about control of the hackers and very little else. Period. Until somebody proves me wrong.

Mavic Pro once sells out existing stock and quietly exits stage left to little fanfare. Unhackable center stage. And it costs more.

"Watch my right hand. Nothing going on in my left. Pay attention. Over HERE. Nothing to see over there."

I bet this wasn't even on the table until the Mavic got opened up for modification. Just marketing ploys to use up the inventory of parts...pushing out minor upgrades, like new props etc. I wonder if it even has a new ESC, but rather being the old reprogrammed.... that obviously won't be available for the Mavic Pro Grey, because we're heathens. And of course, to get people away from tinkering with the drone, it probably has all its doors locked.

If they sorted that piece of sh** gimbal out, it would be worth a look.

Be glad when they have stopped the hacking well at least made it a lot harder than changing a few configuration numbers, the Mavic community on YOUTUBE™ has become a scoreboard of stupidity. Who can fly highest or furthest.... Maybe the Platinum is the future of this hobby drone, a locked down glamorous toy that isn't offensive to the authorities and doesn't give DJI™ a huge image problem with the non droner public.

I bet this wasn't even on the table until the Mavic got opened up for modification. Just marketing ploys to use up the inventory of parts...pushing out minor upgrades, like new props etc. I wonder if it even has a new ESC, but rather being the old reprogrammed.... that obviously won't be available for the Mavic Pro Grey, because we're heathens. And of course, to get people away from tinkering with the drone, it probably has all its doors locked.

If they sorted that piece of sh** gimbal out, it would be worth a look.
I hear you regarding the Gimbal, I came from Inspire drones with awesome Gimbal control. Now I basically setup my shot with Autopilot™ APP and let it control the clunky gimbal.

I'm waiting for the Mavic 2, in the meantime, I'm tossing my props for the new ones. The prop design is ultimately what gives the drone better performance.

Yeah I agree. The motors on the Mavic without props are not all that loud. It must be a prop improvement that cuts down on a lot of the noise. I suspect it also has something to do with the extra 3 minutes of flight time. Note how DJI boasts about the Mavic Pro's top speed but on this model they do not mention it. I suspect they gave up a bit of speed for more battery life and quieter operation. Not a problem, but it's not going to make me sell mine which I know has flexible software for a model that is probably locked down tighter than a gnats rear.

Robt.

The Mavic community on YOUTUBE™ has become a scoreboard of stupidity. Who can fly highest or furthest.... Maybe the Platinum is the future of this hobby drone, a locked down glamorous toy that isn't offensive to the authorities and doesn't give DJI™ a huge image problem with the non droner public.

And yet we all watch it LOL.
I see it and resist for awhile but then I give in and watch as some guy goes out to an insane distance and makes it back by the skin of his teeth.

Rob

Last edited:
Dang....already sold out...

Don't beat yourself up about it. If the Mavic Platinum is firmware locked it will have a lot less resale value than the Mavic Pro.

Reactions: Merlin23
Came back from the announcement in Berlin. The unit they demoed was dramatically quieter than any other drone of that caliber. I asked about the props but they insisted it was the drone itself becoming more efficient that caused it to be quieter and the 10% longer flight time. The props look identical to the regular mavic props.

The color looks cheap and in my opinion less nice than the regular gray. It kind of looks like someone spray painted their mavic in silver spray paint.

You bought a bunch of accessories for a drone that you dont have? Smh

Ok. I have a P4P. I was about to buy a Mavic however I was travelling to the USA and my friend agreed to buy the stuff for me and have it shipped to his office.

So the shipping had no cost and no tax (from B&H). I saved several hundred pounds. I would have bought a Mavic too and saved even more but the warranty was an issue.

There was a method to this! I was about to purchase the drone this week anyway. Now may as well get the Platinum.

obelix662000 said:
Unfortunately not. Human ear is logarithmic. To have feeling of 2 times noise reduction the number should be 20dB, not 4. 4dB reduction corresponds to 1.6 times increase of distance from the noise source.
For sound every 3db increase is double the sound level. The formula is db=10 log power out /power in.
You are thinking of db for voltage. Db=20 log voltage out/voltage in. In that case 6db is double.

Nope, I'm correct

For sound level 6dB for double, 4dB for 1.6 times.

See e.g. here:
Sound level distance damping decibel dB damping calculation calculator change distance versus sound level apps reduction drop dissipation SPL sound transmission loss free field loss sound and distance - decrease drop fall sound over distance versus dB sound different distances attenuation microphone calculator distance level drop ratio dampening - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

Came back from the announcement in Berlin. The unit they demoed was dramatically quieter than any other drone of that caliber. I asked about the props but they insisted it was the drone itself becoming more efficient that caused it to be quieter and the 10% longer flight time. The props look identical to the regular mavic props.

The color looks cheap and in my opinion less nice than the regular gray. It kind of looks like someone spray painted their mavic in silver spray paint.

Though I realize that statement is somewhat subjective by its very nature, you lost any credibility to your post with that statement because anyone that has looked at the DJI site knows full well there are definitive and distinct differences in the airfoils.

medium_5d4a4800-548f-4f07-b452-d91596dd87ad.jpg

vs​

medium_cec4975c-8b87-4a19-8d07-7d79ec78f7eb.jpg

Reactions: Asaulo1
This was FANTASTIC news. I had convinced a buddy of mine to buy one about a month ago under a couple of assumptions:

1) The "new" Mavic would be a more basic model (a "standard" to go along with the pro) at a lower price
or
2) The "new" Mavic would be a minimal upgrade at best, for a higher price, and we based that on the amount of R&D that went into the Mavic... there was just no way that DJI would abandon (or significantly change) the platform essentially a year in, especially when the Pro has been an absolute home run.

Not only did #2 end up being correct, Mavic owners like myself and him can get at least a partial "upgrade" for $20!

Maybe we'll only get 50% of the 3 minute flight time boost and 50% of the noise reduction without the ESC's, but considering we weren't expecting anything at all that's pretty darned awesome.

To top it off the new color, while fine, is not as cool as the original gray. That's just opinion of course, but the gray just looks stealthier to me. If the new color was black it would have been far "cooler" (again, subjective, but I think most people would agree based on the reaction to the "Obsidian" Phantom...).

Thanks DJI! For $20 I don't even have to have a teeny bit of grief from my buddy, and we get legit upgrades for our existing Mavic's too! Nice!

Reactions: twotimer
AND the firmware lock??? Not a huge deal I admit, but it really feels like DJI missed the boat to convert even a few Mavic Pro owners. Maybe they're just being a super nice company to existing owners?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgoodha