DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 VS Mavic PRO // Should I upgrade? (camera, regulations)

Karlo De Pro

Reactions
Dear Mavic pilots,

I have just obtained my EU licenses for the OPEN category (A1,A2 and A3) and I am wondering if the DJI Mini 2 is a good upgrade for me.
Currently I have a DJI Mavic Pro (first edition)

I have 2 questions and hope some members have experience with both drones and can help me with this:

1: Is the video quality of the Mini2 equal or even better than te qualtity on the Mavic Pro?
I see that Mini2 has sensor 1/2.3” CMOS Effective Pixels: 12 MP and the Mavic pro has sensor 1/2.3” (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.35 M (Total pixels:12.71M)
The Mini2 has a max video bitrate of 100 Mbps and the Mavic Pro has a max video bitrate of 60 Mbps
Which one gives the best results in real life?

2: The Mini2 weighs under < 249 g. When I look at the rules, I see drones from this class have the least restrictions in Europe... Flying above crowds is forbidden and entering forbidden geozones is obviously not allowed. BUT does this mean you can fly this drone in the city?

My goal is shooting videos of classic cars and motorcycles and being allowed to fly in cities would be a big plus for me.

Looking forward to your anwsers!
Karel

Like or not the Mini 2 is not the drone the Mavic pro is.

There are still a lot of people having issues with the Gimbal on the Mini 2 , a little research on that will bring up quite a few surprises on that problem that is ongoing.

You will find that the Mavic Pro offers a solid package , that wont leave you as frustrated as the Mini 2 might.

With that said they have been putting out updates , but have not solved the Gimbal Drops that many users are seeing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavics in the Rain and land on Water.

Hi Karlo. We have the Phantom 4 Pro Plus, which we have only ever used for professional filming. Until now, we have found no reason whatsoever for also having a Mavic drone. About 7 or 8 weeks after the Mini 2 came out - and only then after a lot of research - we got one as an additional tool. Yes, the very small size and weight was a major consideration. But, being based in the UK (which is still in Europe if not within the EU), the new drone regulations were also a factor. We almost always fly/film in very remote locations - but what you asked about flying within a city also was something that was considered by us (and the simple answer is "yes").

When our Mini 2 arrived towards the end of December, a tiny part was broken and so it was returned for a replacement. But we flew it once before sending it back and everything was working fine. The replacement has now arrived. You almost always hear a lot of things going wrong with a new product. You hear less from the many people who have no problems whatsoever. This was true of the P4P+ - yet it was (and still is) superb for us.

Whereas I cannot compare the video quality to that of the Mavic Pro, I can tell you that we have professional standards that are reasonably high. Most people will not be able to tell the difference between what the Mini 2 can output compared to a much more expensive drone - at least, not if you know how to get the best out of a drone as a filming tool. One video I watched a while back even compared the Mini 2 to the Inspire 2, with encouraging results. I've written more here: Great drone

One of only two vehicles that I've repeatedly filmed from the air is the fantastic - and classic - Land Rover Defender. We still have two Defenders in South Africa. What a shame they were discontinued (as the replacement is not at all the same). A great vehicle for off road. I have no doubt that I could get almost identical footage with the Mini 2 to that obtained with the P4P+.

All the best.

I can only repeat that we consider the Mini 2 is capable of getting footage for professional use. As I briefly touched on in my "Great Drone" thread, factors such as composition, exposure, lighting (especially that available during the golden hours) - and not forgetting the all-important filming project ideas - are just as important as the technical camera specifications. What the Mini 2 can shoot would have been a dream only 10 years ago.

If Karlo is capable of shooting classic cars or motorcycles, even to a high amateur standard, then editing well, almost everyone watching his film or films will be focusing their attention on the four or two-wheeled subject matter. Filmmaking is much more forgiving that stills photography. And I work to high standards (even though I used the words "reasonably high" above, simply because I've never been involved in 2-hour feature films as different from 30-minute documentaries and similar). I've never flown a drone for personal use - with the possible exception of once using the P4P+ to scare away a troop of 80+ baboons from our main homestead in South Africa.

Like or not the Mini 2 is not the drone the Mavic pro is.

There are still a lot of people having issues with the Gimbal on the Mini 2 , a little research on that will bring up quite a few surprises on that problem that is ongoing.

You will find that the Mavic Pro offers a solid package , that wont leave you as frustrated as the Mini 2 might.

With that said they have been putting out updates , but have not solved the Gimbal Drops that many users are seeing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavics in the Rain and land on Water.
Genuinely curious. Where are all of these people with issues? I’ve seen a couple on here and a maybe 2 on YouTube. But, the majority of Mini2 owners seem to be very happy - including me.

Genuinely curious. Where are all of these people with issues? I’ve seen a couple on here and a maybe 2 on YouTube. But, the majority of Mini2 owners seem to be very happy - including me.
I received my MM2 on 12/30, first drone ever, my maiden flight was flawless, took off and landed multiple times, had to do an IMU calibration part way flew, but never crashed, the MM2 was rock solid, I can't be happier for my first drone. I like the small package and quiet factor. It works for me at this point, my next purchase will be the Smart Controller.

I received my MM2 on 12/30, first drone ever, my maiden flight was flawless, took off and landed multiple times, had to do an IMU calibration part way flew, but never crashed, the MM2 was rock solid, I can't be happier for my first drone. I like the small package and quiet factor. It works for me at this point, my next purchase will be the Smart Controller.
Yup, they’re great. I’ve checked the entire forum and found only two problems with the gimbal. Given how many people here have them, I’m not sure there’s much evidence of ‘a lot of people’ having any problems with the MM2.

I gotta ask why if the Mini 2 is your first (Only?) drone why are you considering the Smart Controller?

I gotta ask why if the Mini 2 is your first (Only?) drone why are you considering the Smart Controller?
I'm going to give it some time. My Samsung 10+ seemed to work ok. I like the idea of a bigger screen and fewer components. 2 components to fly vs 3 seems more streamlined. The more complicated things are the greater chance for issues. But will give it some time, I had no complaints with my first flight and the S10+

I'm going to give it some time. My Samsung 10+ seemed to work ok. I like the idea of a bigger screen and fewer components. 2 components to fly vs 3 seems more streamlined. The more complicated things are the greater chance for issues. But will give it some time, I had no complaints with my first flight and the S10+
I only asked is you aware that the Mini 2 and the SC are not compatible now or according to a DJI rep and Engineers, probably never will be? I fly a SC and love it, but I fly a aircraft it was designed for. Just making sure you are on the same page?

I only asked is you aware that the Mini 2 and the SC are not compatible now or according to a DJI rep and Engineers, probably never will be? I fly a SC and love it, but I fly a aircraft it was designed for. Just making sure you are on the same page?
I will check into it but the DJI site says the SC has OcuSync 2.0 and is compatible with aircraft that have OcuSync, I will definitely call support before I consider a purchase

There is no try. There is only do or do not...and with MM2 there is "DO".
MM2 is my 2nd favorite to fly and quite capable. In case you are wondering, my favorite is my Typhoon H.
It's just too cool. Good luck with the MM2. Let us know your appraisal details.

There is no try. There is only do or do not...and with MM2 there is "DO".
MM2 is my 2nd favorite to fly and quite capable. In case you are wondering, my favorite is my Typhoon H.
It's just too cool. Good luck with the MM2. Let us know your appraisal details.
If you're going to steal my words, please do so correctly. It's "Do or do not. There is no try." :)

Reactions: NG Wildman
I love my MM2, I was very pleasantly surprised at just how capable it is and that's coming from an M2P. However you do have to accept some compromises, Scenes with high contrast can be difficult given no LOG recording, small sensor and only getting the higher bitrate at 4k (otherwise it's stuck around 40mbps).

That being said given it's price, portability and the number of places it opens up to fly it is a very useful filmmaking tool. As was pointed out above, the main consideration will be your skill as a filmmaker rather than any hardware limitations of this drone.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian