DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Neo (a new 149 gram drone)

Well guys. Here you go

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Torque
HoverAir and Neo as so so similar; I wonder who "stole" the plans for the drone from whom? ;)
🇨🇳

I am just happy to see that there’s an FPV combo offered. This is the first time I have seen that box. Looks like it will be offered in a number of different configurations.

HoverAir and Neo as so so similar; I wonder who "stole" the plans for the drone from whom? ;)
🇨🇳

I disagree. They are only similar in the gimmicky operation without a controller, and being class 1.

Everything else about them is massively different. I would fly the Neo with sticks in manual mode (with what limited info we have at this point, there may be something we don't know that would change that calculation).

I'd never bother with the X1 for that.

Speculation, but I'll be shocked if the Neo isn't fully equipped with baseline DJI functionality – GPS, VPS, RTH, N/S modes, etc.

The Neo is going to kill the X1 because it is capable of so much more if you want it. Buy a standalone drone for the same price as the X1 and do all that automated stuff. Add an RC, now serious cinematography is possible. Hopefully it will have Manual, and will work with the MC3 and goggles 3.

The X1 can't compete fully with that. It's for non-drone people, a niche it will stay stuck in.

I disagree. They are only similar in the gimmicky operation without a controller, and being class 1.

Everything else about them is massively different. I would fly the Neo with sticks in manual mode (with what limited info we have at this point, there may be something we don't know that would change that calculation).

I'd never bother with the X1 for that.

Speculation, but I'll be shocked if the Neo isn't fully equipped with baseline DJI functionality – GPS, VPS, RTH, N/S modes, etc.

The Neo is going to kill the X1 because it is capable of so much more if you want it. Buy a standalone drone for the same price as the X1 and do all that automated stuff. Add an RC, now serious cinematography is possible. Hopefully it will have Manual, and will work with the MC3 and goggles 3.

The X1 can't compete fully with that. It's for non-drone people, a niche it will stay stuck in.
Not what I am saying at all. Forget all the pricing, marketing, etc. Even Stevie Wonder can tell one company stole the idea from some of those things from the other company. I can't say who and why regarding my thoughts on this forum but it's obvious; everyone knows what goes on in those factories over in there, etc. Who actually has a patent I dunno but sometimes "that doesn't matter." ;)

Of course they will do their best to make it look different and improve and differentiate but no way they both worked up their own best efforts and came to this? These companies steal American tech all the time so you know they steal ideas from each other. I won't be the one to make a video about it but someone else will.

Please tell me when you can see examples like the action camera knockoffs sold over in China that are complete ripoffs of GoPro. The examples are endless.

@mavic3usa your point that the standalone, "pocket" drone with automation was copied from the Hover X1... Well DUH 😁

You said they "are so similar". That's what I was disagreeing with. They are really only similar in one feature. They are as dissimilar as apples and oranges on numerous other points: Physical design, camera quality and capability, (likely) flight modes, (likely) "real" drone features, (likely) FPV support. And more.

They are more different than they are similar.

@mavic3usa your point that the standalone, "pocket" drone with automation was copied from the Hover X1... Well DUH 😁

You said they "are so similar". That's what I was disagreeing with. They are really only similar in one feature. They are as dissimilar as apples and oranges on numerous other points: Physical design, camera quality and capability, (likely) flight modes, (likely) "real" drone features, (likely) FPV support. And more.

They are more different than they are similar.
Except I haven't said who has "stolen" from whom; that's my point. ;)

This is going to be interesting:

140+

Core Industry Patents

With 140 core industry patents, Zero Zero has pioneered innovations in consumer aerial robotics, such as the enclosed propeller design in the Hover series and the dual rotor propeller system in the v-Coptr Falcon, acknowledged through top-tier media coverage and design awards.

Of course they will do their best to make it look different and improve and differentiate but no way they both worked up their own best efforts and came to this? These companies steal American tech all the time so you know they steal ideas from each other. I won't be the one to make a video about it but someone else will.

Why is it you think just about everyone out there is a sneaky, lying, swindler trying to rip everyone off? Really, it is a consistent theme every time the motives come up about DJI and other companies. Have you ever worked in a company like that?

I spent the first 20 years of my career working at Hewlett-Packard, as an engineer at first, eventually an R&D manager when I left.

My entire time at that huge corporation I worked with honest, good people that simply wanted to serve our customers. Understand their needs and try to provide solutions.

If a competitor came up with something good, we wouldn't steal it, we'd match and improve upon it to compete. Wholly honorable business practice.

Sure, there was the occasional bad apple. Most of the time, they didn't last at HP. It was an ethical, awesome place while I was there 1984-2005, and I'm proud of the way we operated.

You seem to think DJI is a company with sleazy values, and employees to match. Why? What is your basis for this?

I expect the Neo is exactly a product similar to those we engineered at HP to compete with popular products from Sun Microsystems, DEC, IBM, etc. A good idea a competitor had, with a growing market, that DJI with their prowess, expertise, and experience, are trying to improve upon and grab some of that market.

If Hover has smart leaders, they'll watch closely, see if the differences are of significant value to the market, and if Neo hurts X1 sales, they'll be copying DJI.

All part of the game, all ethical.

• Haha
Reactions: mavic3usa
Except I haven't said who has "stolen" from whom; that's my point. ;)

Do you know IP has been stolen? Are somehow included in all licensing discussions?

Or are you critical based on assumptions?

• Haha
Reactions: mavic3usa
Let's wait for the Neo to launch; then we'll see. 😂

Times have changed my friend. :)

Hover X1 doesn't even refer to their product as a drone, but as a "flying camera" which is exactly what it is.
Palm take off and Landing may be the only thing they truly have in common.

Ian [MadsTech] agrees that the box image of the Neo is fake. He also says that he is 99% sure it will be an entry level FPV Avatar mini series compatible with goggles. Whether it’s the newer budget goggles on the way or existing goggles remains to be seen. The black and white video of the drone flying is a different machine altogether. Doesn’t look like the Neo.

Hover X1 doesn't even refer to their product as a drone, but as a "flying camera" which is exactly what it is.
Palm take off and Landing may be the only thing they truly have in common.
Is there something special about palm take off and landing I don't know about? Technically I can do that with my Mavic 3 and both minis.

Is there something special about palm take off and landing I don't know about? Technically I can do that with my Mavic 3 and both minis.
It's about "not flying a drone at all or knowing how to".
Put it on your hand, press a button, wait for it to do its thing and come back, done.

No specific point about it being from the hand other than... exciting marketing.

It's about "not flying a drone at all or knowing how to".
Put it on your hand, press a button, wait for it to do its thing and come back, done.

No specific point about it being from the hand other than... exciting marketing.

Well, it's a little more than that. The big enchilada is safety.

In hand launch and take off, a blind man could do it with the X1.

No so much a Mavic 3 😁

Well, it's a little more than that. The big enchilada is safety.

In hand launch and take off, a blind man could do it with the X1.

No so much a Mavic 3 😁
Obviously this Neo (or any Avata for that matter) with the fully enclosed props are waaay safer for hand catching and launching. I was just wondering if there was some automated process that makes it so marketable?

I was just wondering if there was some automated process that makes it so marketable?
Pics earlier in the thread show "action pattern" icons on the drone itself, which could believably mean you can trigger those from the drone itself without any remote/controller/phone, which is what the Hover does too.

Pics earlier in the thread show "action pattern" icons on the drone itself, which could believably mean you can trigger those from the drone itself without any remote/controller/phone, which is what the Hover does too.

The leaks have all but explicitly indicated that. Looked like there will be a drone-only package, similar to the X1.

Select a Quickshot from the menu on the drone, do some button press to start (triple click or something), hold it in the palm of your hand and off it goes to do Dronie or whatever.

I think everyone is getting the pricing totally wrong though. There's no way the FMC is $329, including 3 batteries, the RC-N(1/2), charging hub, accessories and bag. I'm pretty sure that's gonna be the Neo and one battery. It's comparable to the X1 "standard" package which runs $429.

Other predictions: A separate RC will not be necessary for pilot control... You will be able to connect via wifi and control the drone from Fly directly like we can with GO4 and the Air 1.

No goggles, MC, or Acro mode support at release... DJI is rushing this out the door, as well as the A3S and Mavic 4 to beat the US drone ban and election. So expect lots of bugs, missing but expected features, etc. All engineering is focused on the Hover X1 features to make it competitive. It will be made superior by adding features in firmware updates later.

I expect we'll be flying FPV with the Goggles 3 / MC3 hardware some time Q1/Q2 2025. Crossing my fingers the FPV 2 RC will be supported too with acro (manual) mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverEagleSix