DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Poor Customer Support

You also need to realise the DJI is not 1 person. The person handling the support calls might not be a technical sort of person and may not really know anything about firmwares. They basically have to pass it to someone technical to get an answer.
It's very unlikely for manufacturers to update firmware to support older generation phones. It's costly, time consuming and would be obsolete soon. As phones gets more advance, the more features and optimisation is added to the software. Adding support to older phones is a downgrade and make the coding bloated. With your phone being android, it makes it cumbersome to cater to all the different version. Samsung is common, but there's also dozen's of unheard of brands.
The MPP is still a good drone. It's stable enough that DJI didn't see the need to update the firmware. Any updates would be bug fixes only, not add new features.

This is to elaborate on a post that was made back in May that I am in a certain way going through.

I bought a Mavic Platinum a couple months ago directly from the DJI site in China on April 13, 2020. I was so excited. Waited 2 months almost to get it here due to Covid. So I get it and go through the unboxing, setup and when to get going there were issues with just how it acted. I didn't understand exactly due to being a newbie. I wasn't aware that the aircraft was already on the chopping block, as they were still selling it.

Well turns out my phone was the issue. It is a phone that's been around for some time now, a Samsung Galaxy s10+. There were issues where I wouldn't have complete control at times and then it seem to lose satellite communication abruptly or not recogize at all. Contacted DJI Tech and they said they that they hadn't gotten a firmware update as of yet for the Platinum. I am a patient kind of guy and waited, and waited. Contacted again and they said they were working on it. I supposed it was due to Covid and not having full staff. I waited. I was looking at the Air 2 and saw that the Samsung S10+ was included in the Air 2 firmware. I have maybe 10 minutes on this aircraft.

I contacted DJI Support again and they said they aren't going to be offering any firmware updates in the near future for the Platinum. I can buy another phone and it would work they said. This really pissed me off. That they would be selling this aircraft, $2002.00 with accessories BTW, and gaffing me as far as updating their product especially since I just bought it from them. They knew they weren't going to be making any updates any time soon. Yet they still sold the product.

I asked if I could exchange for the Air 2 and send back the Platinum. Or I even offered to send mine back and pay the difference for the Mavic Pro 2. They said, "Oh you can go through the exchange program." Of course I could, but they pretty much told me tough luck sucker.

I think I will be buying US now.
I'm confused when you state you spent $2,002.00 with accessories when the MPP sells for $999.00 or $1,249.00 with the Fly More Combo. What cost $750 more???

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
This is to elaborate on a post that was made back in May that I am in a certain way going through.

I bought a Mavic Platinum a couple months ago directly from the DJI site in China on April 13, 2020. I was so excited. Waited 2 months almost to get it here due to Covid. So I get it and go through the unboxing, setup and when to get going there were issues with just how it acted. I didn't understand exactly due to being a newbie. I wasn't aware that the aircraft was already on the chopping block, as they were still selling it.

Well turns out my phone was the issue. It is a phone that's been around for some time now, a Samsung Galaxy s10+. There were issues where I wouldn't have complete control at times and then it seem to lose satellite communication abruptly or not recogize at all. Contacted DJI Tech and they said they that they hadn't gotten a firmware update as of yet for the Platinum. I am a patient kind of guy and waited, and waited. Contacted again and they said they were working on it. I supposed it was due to Covid and not having full staff. I waited. I was looking at the Air 2 and saw that the Samsung S10+ was included in the Air 2 firmware. I have maybe 10 minutes on this aircraft.

I contacted DJI Support again and they said they aren't going to be offering any firmware updates in the near future for the Platinum. I can buy another phone and it would work they said. This really pissed me off. That they would be selling this aircraft, $2002.00 with accessories BTW, and gaffing me as far as updating their product especially since I just bought it from them. They knew they weren't going to be making any updates any time soon. Yet they still sold the product.

I asked if I could exchange for the Air 2 and send back the Platinum. Or I even offered to send mine back and pay the difference for the Mavic Pro 2. They said, "Oh you can go through the exchange program." Of course I could, but they pretty much told me tough luck sucker.

The platinum is a great drone and will be for years to come I promise you won’t be disappointed with this drone

As suggested an ipad or iPhone 6s+/7s would help keep extra cost down. Should be able to find this side of $200 and use as a dedicated screen. It can be frustrating , as it can be with new releases. Bugs and awaiting updates etc. Wish you luck, but a little more spend I am sure will be more than worth while . All will be forgot when your up flying and enjoying. Hopefully you will be up in the sky soon.

Just buy a tablet to use solely for it

@old man mavic tell me, do you not see what I am saying that upset me with this whole experience?
Well of course we can see that it can be upsetting to spend that money and not be able to use it. However, this isn't really the fault of DJI. They can design the app for Android and make it as compatible as possible but there are so many variants of Android that they can't possibly make it work for all devices.

Add to that the fact that Samsung does very heavy modifications to base Android, has its built-in security system (Knox), adds a lot of bloatware, and is very slow to offer Android updates, and you don't have a great platform for compatibility. I have found that the closest you come to stock Android, the better off you will be.

As such, the devices I currently use are either stock Android (Google Pixel or Nexus) or very close to it (Lenovo Tab devices are very clean implementations and very cheap). All of them have worked with my MPP.

Also as to your original post, a drone firmware update would have made no difference. It is still an incompatibility between the Go 4 app and the phone.

I've had my Platinum since launch and I've flown it with a Galaxy S5 and currently my Mini4. I was disappointed my when I found out my new S9 would be so glitchy it's practically useless, so I understand the problem you're having with your newer S10. As others have suggested a Mini4 works flawlessly with the Platinum and a used unit can be had for a song. Don't give up on the Platinum as it's really a nice drone. It may be obsolete, but it's got a decent camera, 30 min. flight time and outstanding RC range. Good luck.

Maybe the platinum is different than the other mavics, but I thought the phone was to view the telemetry and camera feed only. I would think that you could fly without the phone connected at all. If you knew anyone with an old phone that they were no longer using (I think I have a couple), you could use one of those for a monitor. Just a thought. Although I do agree with you in that I wouldn't think support for a Samsung s10 would be asking too much.

Maybe the platinum is different than the other mavics, but I thought the phone was to view the telemetry and camera feed only. I would think that you could fly without the phone connected at all. If you knew anyone with an old phone that they were no longer using (I think I have a couple), you could use one of those for a monitor. Just a thought. Although I do agree with you in that I wouldn't think support for a Samsung s10 would be asking too much.

The original post was a bit confused - the mobile device has no effect on direct RC control of the aircraft, and no doubt what was happening was that the app was disconnecting or quitting, giving the impression of loss of control. That can also be caused simply by using a damaged or unsuitable USB cable, but in this case it sounds like the problem was the phone.

the MPP also benefits from having a lot of the flight telemetry displayed on the built in screen of the RC which is duplicated in the app

Reactions: ven
I saw someone replied they have been using an s4 mini for a while with no issues. I don't know what it would cost to send a phone from wi to Alaska, but I have both an s4 & s5 mini I would be willing to donate to the cause. Both would need a new battery I'm sure, but these are from the days where all you do is pop the back off to change the battery, unlike today.

Reactions: AKQuads and ven
I had to get a new phone with my Mavic Air. I had updated to the DJI go4 after getting a Spark and it didn't occur to me that just because my 5S worked fine with the Spark it wasn't going to be completely compatible with the Mavic Air..I was really running around in circles until I finally looked and saw that my phone wasn't on the compatible list...lesson learned.
P.S. DJI is great but DJI support can be frustrating. This forum is really the only place to go for good advice..and a little razzing at times.;)
Happy flying with your new device!

I think some of you are being harsh with AKQuads. The amount of research I did before buying my MA2 was huge. (I'm not rich and to part with that money was a real struggle.) However, not once did I find in my research that there are compatible and non-compatible devices for these things. This is the first I've heard of it. If I was in the OP's situation I think I'd be annoyed at DJI too for not making that more clear.

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
I think some of you are being harsh with AKQuads. The amount of research I did before buying my MA2 was huge. (I'm not rich and to part with that money was a real struggle.) However, not once did I find in my research that there are compatible and non-compatible devices for these things. This is the first I've heard of it. If I was in the OP's situation I think I'd be annoyed at DJI too for not making that more clear.

I agree with you and gave you a like. Because you went to bat. And said what you feel. And I respect that.

So you never looked at the Mavic Air 2 details on the DJI website?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake