DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Poor Customer Support

Oh hang on, are you really talking about the "recommended devices"? Again, very different to "incompatible"

Okay - well if you are going to plan to use a non-recommended device and then complain that it doesn't work then I have little sympathy.

Reactions: EricJT
This is to elaborate on a post that was made back in May that I am in a certain way going through.

I bought a Mavic Platinum a couple months ago directly from the DJI site in China on April 13, 2020. I was so excited. Waited 2 months almost to get it here due to Covid. So I get it and go through the unboxing, setup and when to get going there were issues with just how it acted. I didn't understand exactly due to being a newbie. I wasn't aware that the aircraft was already on the chopping block, as they were still selling it.

Well turns out my phone was the issue. It is a phone that's been around for some time now, a Samsung Galaxy s10+. There were issues where I wouldn't have complete control at times and then it seem to lose satellite communication abruptly or not recogize at all. Contacted DJI Tech and they said they that they hadn't gotten a firmware update as of yet for the Platinum. I am a patient kind of guy and waited, and waited. Contacted again and they said they were working on it. I supposed it was due to Covid and not having full staff. I waited. I was looking at the Air 2 and saw that the Samsung S10+ was included in the Air 2 firmware. I have maybe 10 minutes on this aircraft.

I contacted DJI Support again and they said they aren't going to be offering any firmware updates in the near future for the Platinum. I can buy another phone and it would work they said. This really pissed me off. That they would be selling this aircraft, $2002.00 with accessories BTW, and gaffing me as far as updating their product especially since I just bought it from them. They knew they weren't going to be making any updates any time soon. Yet they still sold the product.

I asked if I could exchange for the Air 2 and send back the Platinum. Or I even offered to send mine back and pay the difference for the Mavic Pro 2. They said, "Oh you can go through the exchange program." Of course I could, but they pretty much told me tough luck sucker.

I think I will be buying US now.
It has always been known that DJI has never been costomer oriented . All they care about is my and your money !!

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
Okay - well if you are going to plan to use a non-recommended device and then complain that it doesn't work then I have little sympathy.
Ha ha, I have to concede you make a good point sar104, thank you. I never gave it much thought when buying my MA2 as I saw immediately that my phone was in the recommended list. I think I'd still be pretty miffed if I was using an older phone that didn't work but as you say, I would only have myself to blame

Reactions: sar104 and bzmot
I saw someone replied they have been using an s4 mini for a while with no issues. I don't know what it would cost to send a phone from wi to Alaska, but I have both an s4 & s5 mini I would be willing to donate to the cause. Both would need a new battery I'm sure, but these are from the days where all you do is pop the back off to change the battery, unlike today.
I appreciate the jesture. But I will pick one up. Thats an awesome offer though. Is there a samsung option to the s4 or s5 mini? I'm an android person. Course that could be a problem as well.

I appreciate the jesture. But I will pick one up. Thats an awesome offer though. Is there a samsung option to the s4 or s5 mini? I'm an android person. Course that could be a problem as well.
I would recommend getting an Ipad 4 Mini. I use one with my Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro and it works great. I have an Android phone I can use with both drones but definitely prefer the Ipad. More info can be found here [POLL] Apple, Android or CrytalSky for DJI GO 4? Why?

Reactions: RonW
A lot of people on the forum fly with a dedicated phone/tablet to get the best performance from the DJI Go4 app.

Why not get a cheaper compatible device with a larger screen to fly the MPP with.

I can recommend the 8in Ipad Mini 4, the bigger screen makes it much easier to see the app controls and the flight view

I just don't want to make a mistake here... Should I get the Ipad Mini 4 with wifi & cellular?

Reactions: old man mavic
I just don't want to make a mistake here... Should I get the Ipad Mini 4 with wifi & cellular?

its really your choice the non cellular will work fine the main difference is with the WIFI only, then if you want maps then you have to download them before you go out to fly in a particular area its really down to how much you want to pay the WIFI only ones are cheaper and then you have to add in the cost of air time

its really your choice the non cellular will work fine the main difference is with the WIFI only, then if you want maps then you have to download them before you go out to fly in a particular area its really down to how much you want to pay the WIFI only ones are cheaper and then you have to add in the cost of air time

Thanks Old Man Mavic. Cost is what it is. I just want to fly it and fly safely.

Thanks Old Man Mavic. Cost is what it is. I just want to fly it and fly safely.
i understand you concerns after the start you have had with drone ownership,i use a 6th gen 9.7" 64 gig WIFI only ipad for both my MPP and my MM and have no problems, i only use it to fly my drones with, and to that end i have deleted or disabled all apps apart from the ones i need to fly with,this frees up as much of the CPU as possible for the DJI apps to use, as they are power hungry when in use, i also dont cache to device, all these things help with battery life, and how hot the ipad gets during use

i understand you concerns after the start you have had with drone ownership,i use a 6th gen 9.7" 64 gig WIFI only ipad for both my MPP and my MM and have no problems, i only use it to fly my drones with, and to that end i have deleted or disabled all apps apart from the ones i need to fly with,this frees up as much of the CPU as possible for the DJI apps to use, as they are power hungry when in use, i also dont cache to device, all these things help with battery life, and how hot the ipad gets during use
Yes this will be a dedicated device. I'm not sure if the one I was looking at was called a 6th generation. I will have to look at it. I was going to buy the one actually just now then saw your post. Will research first. I appreciate your help

Yes this will be a dedicated device. I'm not sure if the one I was looking at was called a 6th generation. I will have to look at it. I was going to buy the one actually just now then saw your post. Will research first. I appreciate your help
If you get the one without cellular you can hook it up via wi-fi to your cell phone hot spot if needed. Otherwise downloading the map before you leave your house as Old Man Mavic suggested works great also. I had to download a map when I went to my friends house up in the mountains of Vermont as there was no cell service there.

If you get the one without cellular you can hook it up via wi-fi to your cell phone hot spot if needed. Otherwise downloading the map before you leave your house as Old Man Mavic suggested works great also. I had to download a map when I went to my friends house up in the mountains of Vermont as there was no cell service there.

Excellent that will save me $150 through amazon. Would love to visit Vermont. Friend of mine was from there. Can't remember which part but was told beautiful place.

Say if I get the wifi only would I still need to get a sim card from ATT?

You might also consider getting a tablet holder. The Ipad mini will just fit in the holder where the phone mounts but if you get a protective "gel" case for the Ipad it won't fit and this will solve the problem. Also it holds the Ipad above the controller instead of below the controller. This is the one I have and it works great. https://www.amazon.com/SKYREAT-pleg...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
No matter which setup you use to hold your ipad you will need to use the USB to lightning cable that comes with your ipad to connect it to your controller as the cables that came with your drone will be too short.

Reactions: AKQuads
You might also consider getting a tablet holder. The Ipad mini will just fit in the holder where the phone mounts but if you get a protective "gel" case for the Ipad it won't fit and this will solve the problem. Also it holds the Ipad above the controller instead of below the controller. This is the one I have and it works great. https://www.amazon.com/SKYREAT-pleg...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
No matter which setup you use to hold your ipad you will need to use the USB to lightning cable that comes with your ipad to connect it to your controller as the cables that came with your drone will be too short.

I ordered one of those also. I didn't think it would fit so got that and I did order a longer controller cable. Thanks for the heads up though. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser