DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI REFUSE TO HONOR WARRANTY PART 2

This is still on going. You suspected OA/APAS/Active Track wasn't working. Why did you test it in a way that would cause your drone to crash? It didn't cross your mind that you might be right? Or you were expecting DJI to fix the damage as well if it crashed? See my car analogy in post #5. You don't drive down a steep hill to prove the brakes on your car might be faulty.
There are a few potential reasons why APAS/OA wasn't working, and not limited to software bug. If it was a software bug, everyone with the M2 would be having the same problem. Maybe it was a corrupt firmware update, which could be fix with another firmware update. Maybe it was hardware issue, perhaps there was a problem with the soldering. Crashing might have jarred it lose, and now no amount of calibration will fix it. But DJI won't know. The crash might have caused other internal damage, or there was a manufacturing fault in the first place. Considering you don't want to pay a single cent on repairs, DJI is not going to pay their technicians to open the your drone up to inspect. Perhaps they tried to update firmware, and assume it was fixed. That's what you wanted isn't it. You assumed it was a software problem, and that's what you wanted them to fix. But no software fix is going to fix hardware problems.

This is still on going. You suspected OA/APAS/Active Track wasn't working. Why did you test it in a way that would cause your drone to crash? It didn't cross your mind that you might be right? Or you were expecting DJI to fix the damage as well if it crashed? See my car analogy in post #5. You don't drive down a steep hill to prove the brakes on your car might be faulty.
There are a few potential reasons why APAS/OA wasn't working, and not limited to software bug. If it was a software bug, everyone with the M2 would be having the same problem. Maybe it was a corrupt firmware update, which could be fix with another firmware update. Maybe it was hardware issue, perhaps there was a problem with the soldering. Crashing might have jarred it lose, and now no amount of calibration will fix it. But DJI won't know. The crash might have caused other internal damage, or there was a manufacturing fault in the first place. Considering you don't want to pay a single cent on repairs, DJI is not going to pay their technicians to open the your drone up to inspect. Perhaps they tried to update firmware, and assume it was fixed. That's what you wanted isn't it. You assumed it was a software problem, and that's what you wanted them to fix. But no software fix is going to fix hardware problems.
Please read my post before commenting, you have no idea, I don't assume, I know there something wrong with it before i crash it. I hope you encounter this with your drone too so you'll know the frustrations. FYI I've been an electronics/engineer technicians for over 25 years, I know when there's a problem, do I want to open a drone that's under warranty and try to fix it my self, probably not, but if DJI release there diagram to it off course I would.

Please read my post before commenting, you have no idea, I don't assume, I know there something wrong with it before i crash it. I hope you encounter this with your drone too so you'll know the frustrations. FYI I've been an electronics/engineer technicians for over 25 years, I know when there's a problem, do I want to open a drone that's under warranty and try to fix it my self, probably not, but if DJI release there diagram to it off course I would.
Respectfully, I agree with his point that "if you knew there was something wrong, why did you fly it?" I was also an electronics repair person.
If it smells burnt, dont plug it in before you open it up and check it out was the rule of thumb with most things.
and would add, why did you fly it in the vicinity of trees and stuff? You can test sensors idling on a table, and you can switch modes on the app without being airborne. You HAVE to assume some responsibility for the crash. AND the crash does NOT help your case with DJI. All DJI knows is they were sent an obvious crash, and a broken Mavic. YOU describe what sounds like a SOFTWARE issue, not a drone issue.

Reactions: Kilrah
You won’t see a digram unless you can make friends with an authorised DJI tech. Most good techs I know only look for a digram as a last resort- you might be the same. It’s ysually the same basic failure modes that kill everything electronic. A bit different with the magic though- one look inside and it reminds you more of a mobile phone than anything else. A beautifully resolved design.

Your best bet would be to cop if sweet and pony up for the repairs. Bottom line, you crashed it. DJI should not be coughing up. Happens to us all at some point.

Reactions: yycguy
I
I read your post. Did you read mine? I don’t get why you would deliberately fly your drone where it could crash to prove your hunch that there was something wrong.
Not very nice of you to wish that another person would have the same problem. But if I suspect my Mavic’s OA is not working, I wouldn’t deliberately fly it into something to prove to DJI my Mavic’s OA isn’t working.

Before this escalates to a back and forth debate, let me state the following.
1. I do sympathise with you that you had crashed your drone. No one wants to get a brand new drone that is faulty.
2. I can understand why DJI would be reluctant to repair your drone under warranty when it was pilot error. By pilot error, I mean choosing to continue to fly when you suspect there’s a problem instead of sending to DJI to fix first. At least there won’t be any grey area on whether it was manufactures fault or pilot action. There are safer ways to test and prove you had a faulty drone that doesn’t no involve crashing it.
You’ll just have consider this very expensive lesson about what to do and not to do.

So right now, you have a damaged and faulty drone, that you need to fix before you attempt to fly again. I would suggest contacting @Thunderdrones to have him look at it.
A lot of folks here have sent their drone to him for repair. I think he has a lot of satisfied customers. If he finds that there’s nothing wrong with your gimbal, he won’t charge you for a new gimbal. He’ll fix what needs fixing. Good luck.

Reactions: JDawg
There is a serious lack of video evidence in this thread. Something to prove the conditions you were "testing" OA in are actually conditions it could be expected to work in.

Since that's missing while the obvious thing you'd do when complaining that something doesn't work is show how it doesn't, the first port of call is "one more user who expected the thing to do miracles and whines because it "only" works as good as the technology allows it to".

And yes if you were a tech and had that "hey this doesn't seem to work, let's do this anyway!" way of evaluating something's function I would not have wanted any of my gear in your hands.

Well guys, I have bad news to tell, I received my Mavic 2 zoom today and was very happy to test it out, well let me back track a little. When I open the box that my drone was in I had a feeling something was wrong. Something tells me it wasn't fix. Turns out I was right, all DJI did was let it sit on their repair bench for a couple of days and said it's fix and send it out. Very disappointed. Does anyone know of another way to solve this.
To those who are new to this thread let me explain again the story. I got the Zoom Sept 10, and was very happy with it, Well about 2 weeks later I was out flying with my buddy and I notice that the APAS wasn't doing what it was suppose to, Like in a very slow speed go around a taget(Such as myself) and during flight it has a very sharp turn. Than I went and try the ACTIVE track mode, it follow me around till it ran straight into a branch ( Keep in mind I have done this active track in the same area countless times before and it went up and down avoiding the branch) not this time (It came crashing about 5ft). So I call DJI talk to a tech support guy( knows nothing about the MAVIC ZOOM sorry to say this). He told me to delete my DJIGO4 apps and reinstall it which I did, and he told me to go to DJI ASSIST 2 (which DJI wanted the flight record and I couldn't provide because it was delete) and refresh the firmware, which I did and no help at all, so I requested a return label to send in the drone.
4 days later I received an email saying it was going to cost me $280 to fix the drone, it needed a gimble and right landing arm, Piss off i was, I request to talk to a supervisor which I did and she said that it was my fault that I ran into a tree, I explain to her that it wasn't working correctly that's why I ran into the tree(branch) I also told her that what does my gimble and landing arm have to do with my complaints, Her answer was "Sorry". The next day I email DJI wanting to talk to someone high in Management, got a phone call from someone in NJ asking me to explain the whole story which I did and he said I quote, "IF THE DRONE ISN'T PERFUMING THE WAY IT'S ADVERTISE THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY REPAIR FEES, AND BESIDES ITS THE REASON YOU RAN INTO A TREE, DON'T WORRY I WILL PERSONALLY CONTACT LA DJI TO GET IT STRAIGHTEN OUT, ALLOW ME 24 HOURS. Well 24 hours went by no phone call no emails, so I email again requesting to speak to another manager. a day later another manager call me from NJ again wanting to know the detail again, He too said that he'll contact DJI and have it square out, The next day i received and email saying repairs done and shipped out with tracking number.

I'm positive DJI never even tested my drone.
These are my problems:
*Have to calibrate compass every time before flight even though my IMU and compass are normal.
*Radio control display POOR even if its 2 feet away.
*APAS doesn't not perform correctly, I remember when I first had it when you press the APAS it turns blue and a message comes up in the middle saying APAS enable, now I don't see it, the Icon does turn blue though.
* Active track, DJI could not tell me why, before when I was in active track I see a green Icon next to the active track icon saying SAFE on it, Now instead of saying SAFE, it says SLOW, and when I tap on it it turns red and says FAST.
If anyone have suggestions or knowledge of this let me know, I'm so frustrated I'm thinking of making a video of my complaints and burn this drone and post it on youtube for the world to see how horrible DJI service is.

Its unfortunate that you crashed but you need to read the user manual.

It clearly states that Obstacle Avoidance is not reliable for branches and power lines. So its an "attempt this at your own risk". Not a warranty issue. If you want cover for operator error then you should have purchased DJI care refresh with your drone.

Here is the actual text from the user manual. It is in all the manuals since the Mavic Pro,

The performance of the Forward and Downward Vision Systems are affected by the surface beingflown over. Ultrasonic sensors may not be able to accurately measure distances when operatingabove sound-absorbing materials and the camera may not function correctly in suboptimal environments. The aircraft will switch from P-mode to Atti mode automatically if neither GPS nor Forward and Downward Vision Systems are available. Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:
Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g. pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green). Flying over a highly reflective surfaces.
Flying at high speeds of over 22mph (36kph) at 2 meters or over 11mph (18kph) 1 meter.Flying over water or transparent surfaces.
Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
Flying over inclined surfaces that will deflect sound waves away from the aircraft.
Flying over small and fine objects (e.g. tree branches and power lines).
Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.
Flying over extremely dark (lux < 10) or bright (lux > 100,000) surfaces.
Flying over surfaces that can absorb sound waves (e.g. thick carpet).
Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.
Flying over surfaces with identical repeating patterns or textures (e.g. tiling).

I have highlighted the actual text that is relevant to your situation.

Cheers

I have found that trying to get any kind of help from DJI NO Support is a complete waste of time. I had a RC failure with the drone no more than 20 meters away. After a firmware upgrade. It did a RTH but even that was badly performed by the drone. Poor coding or what have you. I reported this but true to form you get no response. DJI is hopeless at customer service. If I had read 5 percent of the complaints about the countless issues people have with DJI I would never have wasted money on my drone. I have flashed the firmware but wonder if my next flight will be my last because of poor quality. DJI are not the best, they are just another uncaring company which happens to build medeocre drones which fail regularly. Would really love to know the real stats of DJI drone failure.

I have found that trying to get any kind of help from DJI NO Support is a complete waste of time. I had a RC failure with the drone no more than 20 meters away. After a firmware upgrade. It did a RTH but even that was badly performed by the drone. Poor coding or what have you. I reported this but true to form you get no response. DJI is hopeless at customer service. If I had read 5 percent of the complaints about the countless issues people have with DJI I would never have wasted money on my drone. I have flashed the firmware but wonder if my next flight will be my last because of poor quality. DJI are not the best, they are just another uncaring company which happens to build medeocre drones which fail regularly. Would really love to know the real stats of DJI drone failure.

What you are saying is typical of all Chinese companies. They don't care about aftersale support, only pushing as much product out the door as possible. In China they don't maintain anything and the build quality is subpar to begin with. It's their culture and we westerners are not going to change their ways. The only thing we can do is stop buying the products.

Reactions: Sky Angels
That’s your experience. I’ve dealt with DJI support. They were helpful to me. You’ll rarely hear from people who have had favorable experience with DJI customer support. Mostly the bad ones. So for every bad experience you’ll hear, there’ll be a lot more good ones. Otherwise, DJI won’t be as big as they are.

That’s your experience. I’ve dealt with DJI support. They were helpful to me. You’ll rarely hear from people who have had favorable experience with DJI customer support. Mostly the bad ones. So for every bad experience you’ll hear, there’ll be a lot more good ones. Otherwise, DJI won’t be as big as they are.
Maybe its the accent? My dealings have all been good also. They are useless with any technical questions as they seem only to read directly from scripts with no actual knowledge or experience. If anything I find their warranty coverage generous and once you get past the RMA part very efficient.

These forums are worthless. Many of the members are DJI employees or total idiots. Anyway, you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau online. Another option is small claims court for breach of contract if they do not honor their contract Easy to do and no lawyer is required. I filed a complaint this week and if I do not get an answer it is off to small claims court

Maybe its the accent? My dealings have all been good also. They are useless with any technical questions as they seem only to read directly from scripts with no actual knowledge or experience. If anything I find their warranty coverage generous and once you get past the RMA part very efficient.
Thank you for posting this, I did not want to mention anything about it, BUT THE ACCENTS from these people I can't understand, I have to ask them to repeat it multiple times before i can understand them

Thank you for posting this, I did not want to mention anything about it, BUT THE ACCENTS from these people I can't understand, I have to ask them to repeat it multiple times before i can understand them
You got me wrong- I was suggesting it might be the Australian accent- for the record it was tongue in cheek and expect honestly to be of no relavence.

What I can tell you is you will get a lot further by avoiding unnecessary demands and demanding to instantly be referred to a manager. Doubting their competence or forcing them to loose face and you can forget it.

In your case it seems, unfortunately, your chance of getting a warranty repair is exceptionally slim.

These forums are worthless. Many of the members are DJI employees or total idiots. Anyway, you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau online. Another option is small claims court for breach of contract if they do not honor their contract Easy to do and no lawyer is required. I filed a complaint this week and if I do not get an answer it is off to small claims court
So- didn’t get the answer you liked and it’s everyone else’s problem? I’m only guessing...

You won’t find many DJI employees on these forums. The official DJI forum is the place for that.

So- didn’t get the answer you liked and it’s everyone else’s problem? I’m only guessing...

You won’t find many DJI employees on these forums. The official DJI forum is the place for that.
I think I know why he has a hard time dealing DJI customer support. He thinks everyone are idiots. If you don’t know respect for others, don’t expect any in return.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest