DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI repair center sent me back a refurb unit...

ChrisJP

Reactions
Too late for me: sent my unit to DJI Repair Center in Tokyo and getting a refurb in replacement of my 1 month old MAVIC..

So I'm posting for those in need of repair and thinking between DJI repair service, 3rd party repair or DIY, base on my personal experience here in Japan.

The Pro (Or why to go Official Repair Service)
- DJI Repair cost, part & labor is fair: actually identical to the cost of spare parts from ebay/ali express
- Service was stellar quick (7 days): sent my unit Jan 4th, replacement shipped today, Jan 11th.
- Remaining warranty is extended to the refurb unit (DJI says that repair outside official center will void the warranty)

The Con (Or why to go DYI or 3rd party)
- You take a chance to receive a refurb unit (10th digit on the serial is a R)
And whatever DJI says, a refurb unit is not the same as a new one: there's a reason for a 200$ discount on the resale price.

Conclusions:
- If you want to keep your unit, DIY or 3rd party is the way to go (but sit on the warranty, so better know what your are doing or who you are dealing with)
- If you don't mind getting a refurb, DJI Repair is a "fair" deal

As you can guess, I feel I've been ripped off and just have to suck it up...
Just sharing so that you know better what to expect (and to help me to move on asap)

Reactions: Skeye
The thing is Chris, the one you are getting has been tested all over, whereas a new one might not have?? I dunno how I'd feel... Prolly just getting back in the air would be good??

There are no better experts in DJI products than those at DJI. Every refurbished product has undergone a professional refurbishing process that brings it up to the same high standards as brand new products, and all refurbished products come with new parts, new packaging and DJI's standard Manufacturer Warranty. If you are not happy with a refurbished product and have not yet activated it, you can return it within seven days of receipt for a full refund or a replacement refurbished product.

Reactions: ChrisJP
The thing is Chris, the one you are getting has been tested all over, whereas a new one might not have?? I dunno how I'd feel... Prolly just getting back in the air would be good??

There are no better experts in DJI products than those at DJI. Every refurbished product has undergone a professional refurbishing process that brings it up to the same high standards as brand new products, and all refurbished products come with new parts, new packaging and DJI's standard Manufacturer Warranty. If you are not happy with a refurbished product and have not yet activated it, you can return it within seven days of receipt for a full refund or a replacement refurbished product.
All refurbished products have new parts? That’s a contradiction.

I certainly understand the OP. If you buy a new drone, for the full price, then have to return it for warranty service, because your current drone has a manufacturing defect, you should receive an exchange, or repair, equal in value of the purchase price, not something $200 less in value.

People have received refurbs with faults so they may even go through the same testing as new units.

I sent my Mavic to DJI, I live in the UK and it was replaced with a refurbished unit in 7 days. the refurbished one was younger than my returned unit and looked as new and fly's without any issues.

Had the same expedience. Bought a brand new Mavic. It didn't function out of the box. Returned it, only to receive a refurbished one two weeks later. Felt cheated.
Live in Holland.

Had the same expedience. Bought a brand new Mavic. It didn't function out of the box. Returned it, only to receive a refurbished one two weeks later. Felt cheated.
Live in Holland.
Where did you buy it? DJI China or local dealer? If bought from a dealer I would have returned it to him in case of a defect out of the box to get the whole package replaced by a new one. This is one more reason for buying locally instead of buying in China.

Reactions: zero1981
Where did you buy it? DJI China or local dealer? If bought from a dealer I would have returned it to him in case of a defect out of the box to get the whole package replaced by a new one. This is one more reason for buying locally instead of buying in China.
Hi GerdS,
Sorry to disappoint you but bought locally, from dealer.
Regards,

Skeye, I think what he stated was he did not understand why you did not just take it to the dealer and let them give you a brand new one. If it was DoA, then the dealer should replace it with a brand new one.

Don't think he was being sarcastic.

Russ

Reactions: Sew and GerdS
My Mavic suffered from VPS issues after about 4 hours of flight. Physically delivered it to the DJI repair center in Melbourne, and got a refurb unit later that same week. Refurb unit works fine, better than my original.

Thanks a lot for all the comments and experience sharing.
I feel the pain for those who been in the same boat.

But, I found a good upside/closure.
I used to be so worried about scratching my brand new Mavic.
Now with the refurb, I'm ready to fly it, won't be as worried anymore. Can't wait to test it, to push it, to fly it the way it is supposed to be fly.

And you know what: if I ever have to send the refurb for repair.....DJI repair might send me back a NIB (New In Box)?
May be even a platinium...!!!:)

I sent my Mavic to DJI, I live in the UK and it was replaced with a refurbished unit in 7 days. the refurbished one was younger than my returned unit and looked as new and fly's without any issues.
How do you recognise it’s a refurbished unit?

How do you recognise it’s a refurbished unit?

More importantly, why does one care? As soon as you take the new drone out of the box it's lost value. It's now "used" and worth the same as a refurbished unit.

DJI doesn't mind charging less for a refurb because they already made the profit the first time they sold it.

The note about new parts in the refurb is because anything that is doesn't work will be replaced with new parts at DJI. Some random 3rd party may replace with used parts.

More importantly, why does one care? As soon as you take the new drone out of the box it's lost value. It's now "used" and worth the same as a refurbished unit.

DJI doesn't mind charging less for a refurb because they already made the profit the first time they sold it.

The note about new parts in the refurb is because anything that is doesn't work will be replaced with new parts at DJI. Some random 3rd party may replace with used parts.
Tomorrow I’m getting my drone back from service center. They said they have replaced it as it was manufacturing defect. I asked them if it’s new they said it may be new or refurbished. I’m just curious to know how to identify refurbished unit...

When you take your non working unit in and someone repairs it for you, it is now a refurbished unit. As others have posted it actually will be more tested than a new unit, yes it may come broken again, things happen in shipping from overseas. But to think you are getting a lesser unit is oddly strange. Your refurb unit may have less long term issues than your new one had it not had the issue early on. And if it happened after the warranty you would welcome a refurb. It's all perspective. There is no guarantees in life let alone retail.

I would be happy they replaced it and so quickly with a working unit and at such a short turnaround, you still have the rest of the warranty on the refurb if there are any issues.

I would understand if you got a beat up mavic as a replacement, but that's not the case, and DOA is DOA whether new or refurbed the odds are the same.

Reactions: Biswa
When you take your non working unit in and someone repairs it for you, it is now a refurbished unit. As others have posted it actually will be more tested than a new unit, yes it may come broken again, things happen in shipping from overseas. But to think you are getting a lesser unit is oddly strange. Your refurb unit may have less long term issues than your new one had it not had the issue early on. And if it happened after the warranty you would welcome a refurb. It's all perspective. There is no guarantees in life let alone retail.

I would be happy they replaced it and so quickly with a working unit and at such a short turnaround, you still have the rest of the warranty on the refurb if there are any issues.

I would understand if you got a beat up mavic as a replacement, but that's not the case, and DOA is DOA whether new or refurbed the odds are the same.
I agree with you on this.. I am very surprised that my drone repair is having 1 week turn around (including shipping) I shipped from UK to Netherlands.. let’s see what they sent me tomorrow . Will post pics here ..

Tomorrow I’m getting my drone back from service center. They said they have replaced it as it was manufacturing defect. I asked them if it’s new they said it may be new or refurbished. I’m just curious to know how to identify refurbished unit...
It will have an R in the serial number.

You take a chance to receive a refurb unit (10th digit on the serial is a R)

Interesting!

Re my MP Alpine White:

Although the invoice states they changed the Core Board for $288 + 2h labor @$130 =$418, which suggests they repaired my actual unit under warranty, the serial # on the one that they shipped me is different and has no R

Should I assume they sent me a new unit?

Hubby's MP

The unit they returned has the letter R in 10th place.

Here's his take:
1) the gimbal never did go all the way up to +30
2) the gimbal stopped working entirely after a "hard landing" aka a minor crash
3) he had no out of pocket expense to receive the R unit and did not use his DJI Care/Refresh (the warranty covered the repair)
4) weather permitting he will fly it tomorrow and if the gimbal goes all the way up to +30, he'll be a happy camper

P.S Neither of us experienced a change in the RC serial #, but we both received instructions re how to link the RC with the AC -- a surefire tipoff that we were getting back different ACs.

Interesting!

P.S Neither of us experienced a change in the RC serial #, but we both received instructions re how to link the RC with the AC -- a surefire tipoff that we were getting back different ACs.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Perhaps they reflashed or re-installed some core software/firmware that lost the RC pairing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute