DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller (just announced)

The nicest feature I like about this is the HDMI output I wish they has of put that on the standard controller.

It works down to -20 degrees Celsius ... Is there a built-in heater? Or the battery is extremely strong and the energy consumption is considerably high.

Do our mavics still work at such low temperatures?

With regard to Apple and DJI, I consider exclusive and time-limited agreements always possible. That's probably the only reason why some things work better on Apple devices first...

Otherwise, I would rather keep remote control and screen separately. I do not like it when multiple device categories become an inseparable unit. If any of it breaks, then you can wait for the repair on the entire composite.

After all, the DJI remotes work with Apple, and reasonably well with the majority of all Android devices. I prefer to use an exclusive Android smartphone for my Mavic, with no cellular connection, but with good screen, strong battery, and at least midrange.

How does the antennae position work on this controller with OcuSync 2.0?
It works the same way as all other DJI remote controllers. The flat side of the antennas should point at the drone like this:

See the reviews above in post #12.

You know its not going to sell well when somebody like me, who is willing to throw money at DJI, looks at it and thinks 'I can let that go at that price'

Just seems to create some new issues whilst fixing others - makes your setup bulkier on the go, harder to send vids/pics whilst you out (guess you could use your phone as a hotspot) and lets you fly in weather you're likely to be inside during, add in Android which seems to always be a flakier software experience and the price and I can easily let this purchase opportunity pass.

Reactions: Big Dazz and mnis
It looks like if for any reason you lose video feed, you’ll lose the drone status as well.
Of course not, you can have data without video.

But no more putting the app in full screen for a clean view and looking at the LCD for data indeed...

$700 is a lot for a controller though.
It's not just a controller. It's basically a CrystalSky / controller combination. It's actually well priced for what you're getting, and frankly, I feel like a complete jack*** for buying a CrystalSky Ultra a couple of months ago. Now my rig looks like a ridiculous albatross in comparison to this beautiful new Smart Controller.

Pardon me while I go off and sulk.

Last edited:
My initial reaction was “wow, one less device to lug around and set up”. My second reaction was “I hope you can take off the sticks, that would make it somewhat compact”. Some other thoughts: who is this for? When you need the screen to be viewable in bright sunlight, you allso need a big screen... Compatible with all occusync 2 devices? That would be nice, one controller for all your future drones (Was hoping spark 2 and Mav 2 pro). But currently I have a Mav 1 pro and a spark... Then I’m not sure about the updating process... I always like to hold off dji app updates. Will that work with this device? I think it will. Then again, android lost me when both my nexus 7, 5x and other android phones had serious stability issues... All in all, I think device is not for me. Especially not at that price.

How long until does it usually take for them to be in stock in the US?
This is a brand new product, so there isn't going to be a usual time frame. Click the "In Stock Reminder" button here and DJI will email you when it's available.

Great concept.
Pros:
One device to carry and charge
No mounts or cables required
No compatibility issues
Faster setup
HDMI out
Bright screen
Longer battery life

Cons:
Price
Only works with M2 (probably won't work with M3)
Small screen (most new phones are bigger than this)

If this were half the price and backward compatible to M1, I would consider it. If this was available with M2 Pro for under $1500, I might consider upgrading.
As it stands, it is a no go for me.

DJI just announced their new DJI Smart Controller for the Mavic 2 and other OcuSync 2.0 aircraft.

Key Features:
  • Crystal-clear live feeds
  • Ultra-bright 5.5-inch screen (viewable in direct sunlight)
  • Intuitive controls
  • 3rd party app support
  • HDMI output
  • Easy file sharing
  • 2.5 hour battery life
See more details here in the DJI Store.

View attachment 58179
View attachment 58180
View attachment 58181
View attachment 58182
View attachment 58183
View attachment 58184
View attachment 58177
View attachment 58178

It certainly would be convenient, saving a few steps when setting up, but I don’t see that it increases functionality over the current controller. In fact, you loose controller run time and it takes more than 2 hours to charge. I use a iPad mini and a small sun shield for really bright days. I can’t justify the 650 price tag.

I kinda like. It.. Definitely overpriced but a decent upgrade. It should possibly be included in a "combo package" or with the drone itself...

Reactions: mnis
Thinking of an iPad replacement? Think I’ll head this direction!! Thanks for sharing!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett