DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller (just announced)

My main question is...does it provide aircraft magnetic heading on the display?

Besides, after watching Rick's clip, it looks to me like part of your hands and thumbs may wind up blocking part of the display. JMTC.

Reactions: HydroneMantis
I don’t like how there isn’t a separate screen for just RC telemetry.

It looks like if for any reason you lose video feed, you’ll lose the drone status as well.
Hadn't thought of this but a very good point. I know there is the rth button but I'm not always confident in this so at least the detail on the screen of the current controller gives you some idea of where the drone is at & you have some chance of getting it home.

For 700$ I don’t see the advantage of it over what I already have

I like it. Still undecided but leaning towards getting it, here are some stream of consciousness thoughts and questions...

1. $650 is a lot. I wonder if there is any likelihood at all the next generation Mavic 3 etc. could use this controller? I doubt it, perhaps it will work with a Mavic 2 Pro "Platinum" or something that serves as a bridge to the next generation. Bottom line is I need to prepare to have to sell this thing when I sell my Mavic 2 Pro to get whatever my "next" thing is.

2. I don't think the size is unreasonable, and for the brightness and convenience I am more than willing to carry it but it seems obvious this won't be fitting the Mavic's small carry bag. I hope DJI makes a new carry bag for the Mavic that is designed for this controller + the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom as I want ONE bag and the most minimal size possible, most 3rd party stuff is WAY overkill and hurts portability for IMHO unnecessary "protection."

3. I'm bummed it doesn't have a seperate data screen like the current remote does. Obviously I assume it will continue to show full data including magnetic heading in the event of loss of video from the drone to help you get it back without RTH if necessary. It does mean you better hope DJI Go 4 doesn't crash etc. because while I'm sure control is still maintained via the controller itself (just like with the regular controller) you will have zero ability to have data other than what you can see of the drone itself (line of sight) to decide how to manipulate the sticks. RTH should of course work.

4. The main alternative to this is buying a Crystal Sky display of the same size and using the mounts that work with the Mavic controller. It would save a bit of money but then every time I have to "build" my controller sorta like I have to do now with my iPhone. Not sure that is an upgrade for me.

Bottom line is after years of flying my Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro with iPhones I'm ready to get rid of my single biggest pain point, the dark video screen in sunlight and having an all in one solution that allows me to leave my phone in my pocket where it belongs is very, very appealing. Wish it was $500 but I also wish my Mavic 2 Pro had been $999 too.

Last edited:
So here is something I did not see. GPS capability. Does it have GPS in the controller that well allow for mapping the location of the controller?

As an Android device - Hopefully this will put all those rumours about CJI being in bed with Apple out to pasture ... It will also help DJI get a little more familiar with the issues we report regarding Android too!

Well Crystal Sky is the same and that suffers from very slow updates (weeks or months behind apple and even normal android versions of Go 4) and stability problems.

From a developer point of view it makes sense for CS and this new thing to share the same OS and code.

Very nice! I am thinking of getting one. However regarding portability - has anyone seen dimensions specifications? I could not find any. Also, I guess now DJI needs to make a soft case that is rearranged to allow storing the AC, this controller and a couple of batteries in addition to the one in the bird. If I see all of this - well, it'll be a no-brainer!

Just saw that DJI sells the smart controller M2P combo for $1899 while the regular controller combo is $1499.

Last edited:
I think more people would have gone for it if DJI had included 2nd controller functionality, at least that way you can get some use out of what you already have. The price is nothing short of ridiculous (but then so it most of DJI's prices). Makes more sense to buy one if you're buying a new drone as its about $400 more

you're effectively paying for a CS5.5 and a RC. the price isn't unreasonable in that context. it just sucks since you've already paid for a RC.

if you were going to get a CS5.5 then it's viable, especially if you want the HDMI out for 3rd party goggles. no mount, no USB cables, no separate battery and charger to pay for and cart around.

Reactions: mnis
It’ll definitely make getting the bird up much more streamlined. Having t carry the magic, controller, iPad and iPad holder is a hassle. I figure I can sell my controller to offset the cost

I like it. Still undecided but leaning towards getting it, here are some stream of consciousness thoughts and questions...

1. $650 is a lot. I wonder if there is any likelihood at all the next generation Mavic 3 etc. could use this controller? I doubt it, perhaps it will work with a Mavic 2 Pro "Platinum" or something that serves as a bridge to the next generation. Bottom line is I need to prepare to have to sell this thing when I sell my Mavic 2 Pro to get whatever my "next" thing is.

2. I don't think the size is unreasonable, and for the brightness and convenience I am more than willing to carry it but it seems obvious this won't be fitting the Mavic's small carry bag. I hope DJI makes a new carry bag for the Mavic that is designed for this controller + the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom as I want ONE bag and the most minimal size possible, most 3rd party stuff is WAY overkill and hurts portability for IMHO unnecessary "protection."

3. I'm bummed it doesn't have a seperate data screen like the current remote does. Obviously I assume it will continue to show full data including magnetic heading in the event of loss of video from the drone to help you get it back without RTH if necessary. It does mean you better hope DJI Go 4 doesn't crash etc. because while I'm sure control is still maintained via the controller itself (just like with the regular controller) you will have zero ability to have data other than what you can see of the drone itself (line of sight) to decide how to manipulate the sticks. RTH should of course work.

4. The main alternative to this is buying a Crystal Sky display of the same size and using the mounts that work with the Mavic controller. It would save a bit of money but then every time I have to "build" my controller sorta like I have to do now with my iPhone. Not sure that is an upgrade for me.

Bottom line is after years of flying my Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro with iPhones I'm ready to get rid of my single biggest pain point, the dark video screen in sunlight and having an all in one solution that allows me to leave my phone in my pocket where it belongs is very, very appealing. Wish it was $500 but I also wish my Mavic 2 Pro had been $999 too.

My frustration is building the controller every time I want to fly

As an Android device - Hopefully this will put all those rumours about CJI being in bed with Apple out to pasture ... It will also help DJI get a little more familiar with the issues we report regarding Android too!
As others have said, DJI had plenty of time with Crystalsky and still can't get it right.

Reactions: mnis
Great product, however, despite the steep pricing (essentially half of the Mavic 2 price)
1) will have to hotspot from mobile to get live map feeds

Wonders if DJI will offer a trade in program for old controllers, just doesn't seem like a well thought out plan to ask a steep price for a new controller when your old one just sits at home collecting dusts.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan