DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller (just announced)

What you're saying makes little sense.
The smart controller is not smart enough for me, because it seems to have only a single display. And if this screen fails, basic status information is no longer available, such as: engine RPM, the remaining percent of the flight battery, etc.

For example, the displayed distance on a regular Mavic remote control has helped me a lot to return safely because my Android device failed, and RTH did not allow a safe return in this situation.

The only upside to all this is that if people are buying them, then we may see some original C.S. units up for sale at a discounted price from current owners and possibly dealers who had a bunch and may now not sell them as easily as in the past.
Always look on the bright side of life (add your own whistling here please).

Anyone wonna buy a 1 week old CS, going very cheap :D:D

Does anyone know what the screen looks like with Polarized Sunglasses on? I wear them with readers built in. Some displays are very hard to see
Here is my solution: Use bifocal glasses (not progressive lenses.) Add polarized clip-ons with cut outs where the close up lenses are. This gives the best vision of the sky without blocking light as you look down at the screen.

Attachments

• bob2.jpg
    bob2.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: mnis
I would give them my money right now, if they were available. Maybe I will come to me senses before they are available. I fly from a boat, and not having to put everything together to fly is very appealing. It is just to easy to drop a component into the water.

We are on the same boat. LOL

I fly from a kayak. Always hand launch and retrieve my Mavic Pro (now mavic 2 pro). There were many times the cable got wet or my my phone almost dropped into water. I tried to put the controller and phone in a transparent waterproof case, but the screen was too dark to see anything. So this controller is must for me...

The smart controller is not smart enough for me, because it seems to have only a single display. And if this screen fails, basic status information is no longer available, such as: engine RPM, the remaining percent of the flight battery, etc.

For example, the displayed distance on a regular Mavic remote control has helped me a lot to return safely because my Android device failed, and RTH did not allow a safe return in this situation.

This is true.

Even if the bird is still in sight, you will not be able to see where his nose is pointing.
If you can see it at all, no matter how faintly, you should be able to fly it home. If you can't. That is a skill you should learn. It is really easy.

It's actually well priced for what you're getting, and frankly, I feel like a complete jack*** for buying a CrystalSky Ultra a couple of months ago.

Don't feel bad mate, this new controller is only 1000nits.

the documentation says 1000nits, which is the same spec as the 5.5". only the CS7.85 comes in the optional ultra bright 2000 nits version.

the blurb does describe it as "ultra bright" which is confusing next to the CS specs.

Someone needs to pull DJI on this.

I mentioned on another forum this exact issue.

The CS high is 1000, the CS Ultra is 2000nits, yet DJI are allowed to get away with marketing this controller as an Ultra-bright?!

Shame on you DJI.

I must admit that - because I ordered my M2P through Amazon and have until the end of January to send it back - I wobbled a bit and almost requested a return, so I could then buy the new controller bundled with the Mavic. But then I thought again about how I'd still be paying £430 more than I paid for the standard controller package, and lose the ability to use my iPad...

Nah, I think for me it would be a dumb move.

If I feel rich in 6 months and want another controller option that makes the kit a bit more portable, then I'll think again about getting one.
I don't think you lose the original controller. You can't use them at the same time of course. Well, maybe you can, with the original as a slave.

The CS high is 1000, the CS Ultra is 2000nits, yet DJI are allowed to get away with marketing this controller as an Ultra-bright?!

it's misleading, but the website is comparing it to a mobile phone, and in that context it is true enough.

To get a perspective, I checked my HTC 10's specs. 5.2" and I find that small, though convenient in how it fits in the remote. 5.5" isn't much better.
Now if it were 7 or 8", then maybe.

I assume the app treats it like a tablet, with both radar and map in view?

To be honest I rarely use the data on the remote. I have been flying these from the early Phantoms and sometime prior to that as well on other platforms. I do not think the data on the transmitter is necessary. Is it nice to have in the event you lose video feed yes. Is it necessary? No. As I said before if you can see the bird VLOS you should be able to fly it home (period). If you are beyond line of site and lose the video signal hit the return to home button. When you get the signal back switch off the RTH and fly it yourself. I suppose the distance from home indicator is reassuring but I haven't ever needed it. In all actuality, it is less functional then RTH. RTH will send the bird directly to you. The distance from home indicator is far less precise in getting the bird back.

the displayed distance on a regular Mavic remote control has helped me a lot to return safely because my Android device failed, and RTH did not allow a safe return in this situation.
Why not? A shutdown of your device is absolutely something that you should train for.... I'm curious how RTH would be any less safe than using the display distance.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998