This is a nice all in one solution they've needed for a while now, but I won't get it. I prefer my CS 5.5 with the standard controller with this set up. I want the extra battery life and the extra LCD for the telemetry.
I like it. Still undecided but leaning towards getting it, here are some stream of consciousness thoughts and questions...
1. $650 is a lot. I wonder if there is any likelihood at all the next generation Mavic 3 etc. could use this controller? I doubt it, perhaps it will work with a Mavic 2 Pro "Platinum" or something that serves as a bridge to the next generation. Bottom line is I need to prepare to have to sell this thing when I sell my Mavic 2 Pro to get whatever my "next" thing is.
2. I don't think the size is unreasonable, and for the brightness and convenience I am more than willing to carry it but it seems obvious this won't be fitting the Mavic's small carry bag. I hope DJI makes a new carry bag for the Mavic that is designed for this controller + the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom as I want ONE bag and the most minimal size possible, most 3rd party stuff is WAY overkill and hurts portability for IMHO unnecessary "protection."
3. I'm bummed it doesn't have a seperate data screen like the current remote does. Obviously I assume it will continue to show full data including magnetic heading in the event of loss of video from the drone to help you get it back without RTH if necessary. It does mean you better hope DJI Go 4 doesn't crash etc. because while I'm sure control is still maintained via the controller itself (just like with the regular controller) you will have zero ability to have data other than what you can see of the drone itself (line of sight) to decide how to manipulate the sticks. RTH should of course work.
4. The main alternative to this is buying a Crystal Sky display of the same size and using the mounts that work with the Mavic controller. It would save a bit of money but then every time I have to "build" my controller sorta like I have to do now with my iPhone. Not sure that is an upgrade for me.
Bottom line is after years of flying my Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro with iPhones I'm ready to get rid of my single biggest pain point, the dark video screen in sunlight and having an all in one solution that allows me to leave my phone in my pocket where it belongs is very, very appealing. Wish it was $500 but I also wish my Mavic 2 Pro had been $999 too.
I am also concerned with your point 2 and the carry bag. The carry bag they have now is very fine and holds everything. I hope they will know that a lot of people will miss that convenience and will come up with another nice looking carry bag that holds everything including the new controller.
For the delay in USA release, it was mentioned in another post that it is waiting for FCC clearance- something that will likely be delayed due to the govt shutdown. They were estimating a March release.
For a different perspective, I can see a good use for this in the emergency response field. The HDMI out could be a great potential option for a remote viewing screen for incident command to get live feed of drone footage without having to look over a pilot's shoulders.
As I said before I only wish that DJI would have made this new remote earlier when I decided to purchase my M2P fly more package just a few months ago. It might not be the case but it sure seems like DJI planned the release of this exceptional device to be able to extract more money from their customers.
I would have gladly paid the extra money for it when I originally purchased mine but NOW I have to pony up another $649 just so I can get it.
It just seems like shady business practices to me, but that’s the way DJI has always been in my opinion.
I haven’t had mine for much longer. It certainly would have been nice to have known it was in the pipeline. The thing is, if everyone keeps waiting to see what the next big thing to be released was going to be nobody would buy anything. There’s always something better coming, the question is are you willing to wait or pay more for it when it comes?
"/Obviously I assume it will continue to show full data including magnetic heading in the event of loss of video from the drone to help you get it back without RTH if necessary. It does mean you better hope DJI Go 4 doesn't crash etc./"
You have identified a great point there. The use of original mav 2 controller plus a smartphone or cristalsky give us some important redundance on some data that may be essencial in case of video loss or/and dji go 4 crash. I will look for those things before considering buying this new controller. I would love to use a controller cd/m2 1000 or preferably plus, as I live on the all year around sunny northeast coast of Brazil, thus this is the area I fly the most... The device I pair my controller with reaches around 550cd/m2 most smartphones and pads wont reach over 650...
As an Android device - Hopefully this will put all those rumours about CJI being in bed with Apple out to pasture ... It will also help DJI get a little more familiar with the issues we report regarding Android too!
If you order a new Mavic 2 Pro or ZOOM, you have the option to also buy the new Smart Controller for just $400 more. So why does DJI jack up the price to $649 if you already own a Mavic 2. A lot more people would jump to buy the Smart Controller priced at $400 but in my opinion $649 is WAY over priced$$$$$$